Judge Joe Brown: Cancelled Over Contract

judge joe brown  canceledJudge Joe Brown is leaving the bench — at least for now. After 15 years on the air, Judge Joe Brown has been cancelled because a new contract agreement couldn’t be reached, reports B&C.

According to Brown, he and CBS Television Distribution (CTD) have had a profit split over the past seven years. CTD says that profit margins have become slimmer since they made the deal because viewership has dropped. With the exception of Judge Judy, all of the court shows are down this year, sometimes by as much as 20%.

After not being able to work out a new contract with Brown, CTD tried to shop a new judge — Judge Geoffrey Gaither of Marion County, Indiana — but Fox (which licenses Brown in the biggest markets) wasn’t interested.

As a result, CTD has cancelled the show and affiliates are left to figure out how to replace it.

Brown said, “It was time to move out on my own since I had some ideas that I had been having to pull teeth with no novocaine to get adopted.” He feels that CTD “difficult to deal with” and “applied zero public relations and zero advertisement” to his show.

The judge is launching his own production company and is already shopping ideas to distributors. They include a three hour radio show starring Brown and that’s already been cleared in 30 markets. This program may lead to a TV series. He also plans to produce at least one new court show, one featuring retired California Judge Deann Salcido.

Judge Joe Brown launched in September 1998 and has consistently been the second-highest rated court show, behind Judge Judy. It will continue to air until September 2013.

What do you think? Will you miss watching Judge Joe Brown? Would you watch a new program featuring Brown?

wenberg May 22, 2014 at 12:10 am

GOOD!!! I never liked his show.. I hated to see him sit and look to the left or right and insult and name call the defendants.. Sometimes the defendants were so ignorant that it didn’t need him to abuse his power. Its not promoting manhood by name calling and self promotion. He will not be missed. I hate to see him lose his cool because it shows of lack of class and self control. His longwinded speeches, and out of touch thinking shows nothing but a pure lack of grace under fire. I watch court shows to determine if I have the ability to spot the lies and rule accordingly. He plays up for the camera and seeks the approval of the crowd instead of what fair and just. Its a shame to see all the hard work that it took to get to such a position to be simply and educated clown, lacking substance.

Mike March 11, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Judge brown rocks they should have cancelled that smart ass judge Judy !

charles and sharon thorne January 17, 2014 at 6:19 pm

we miss him, we miss him, please bring his show back on now. I mean now!!!!!

Rebecca January 17, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Damn he was my favorite judge on tv I liked him better then judge judy

jackie long January 7, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I have been wondering what happened . Judge Joe Brown was a favorite of ours. miss his show a lot.

Jan November 12, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I am so sorry that Judge Joe Brown is no longer on. I never missed his program. I found him to be much more realistic and less “theatric” than the others. Please bring the show back. Many people miss him. Better to have him than so much Judge Judy. She is getting way to dramatic!!!

BARBARA CROUCH November 2, 2013 at 11:49 pm

I MISS JUDGE JOE BROWN SHOW, THIS WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITES SHOWS. BRING HIM BACK!!

vivian samarripa October 31, 2013 at 5:46 am

I really admire Joe Brown and enjoy his show. I think he is the fairest judge on TV.
I would watch him on any show he is on and sure hope and pray that some network
will pick up his show. He has always been an important and highlight of my day and
miss him very much. If we can put up with someone as liberal thinking and ruling by
emotions rather than by law, like Judge Mathis, why can’t we put Judge Joe Brown
first? PLEASE bring him back….I would even pay a monthly fee to see his programs!

Claudia Coon October 18, 2013 at 8:31 pm

We need Judge Joe Brown back. He was and is my number one favorite. Wyoming love him.

R.A. Gallone October 3, 2013 at 2:22 pm

SHAME ON THE NETWORK!!!! Please bring back Judge Joe Brown, he has been one of our top favourites for many years. He is one of the most interesting and intelligent judes to see and listen to.

Arthur Martinez October 3, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I loved to watch Judge Joe Brown. He was an excellent watch. I would always record his show and watch him later as he came on in a time slot where I was not able to join in. PROTECTING WOMANHOOD AND PROMOTING MANHOOD!!! He was an excellent individual and brought it to the courtroom. I hate to see him go. I don’t know what it is that I am going to watch now that will bring me that much pleasure. Sincerely, -ajm San Antonio, Texas

David September 20, 2013 at 8:11 pm

One of the better TV judge shows on the air. He will be missed.

Leidy Ramírez-Bidwell September 13, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Last Monday I kept looking for Judge Joe’s show, unaware that he was no longer on.
One of the best afternoon shows, in my opinion. I will miss him.

Ralph Price September 12, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I can not believe Judge Joe was cancelled. It should have judge Judy. Her nasty msanner is hard to take. My family will miss Judge Joe very much. Good Luck Judge Joe

Lisa September 11, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I would watch judge joe briwn on another show. Bring him back, please