Karaoke Battle USA: ABC’s Newest Game Show; Cancel or Keep It?

Karaoke Battle USA tv showThe alphabet network’s been churning out a lot of “alternative” programming this summer. The latest offering is a Friday night game show called >Karaoke Battle USA. Is this one a winner that’s on a fast-track for renewal or will it be cancelled like so many others?

Karaoke Battle USA seeks to find the best karaoke singer from across the country by taking the best male and female performers from various regional competitions and pitting them against one another. At the end, the King and Queen of Karaoke are crowned. In addition to the title, the winners also win a trip to compete at the Karaoke World Championships in Ireland and have a recording released through Hollywood Records. The show is hosted by *NSYNC’s Joey Fatone and is judged by karaoke champion Brian Scott, singer/songwriter/comic Carnie Wilson, and music journalist Joey Levy.

The TV series debuted with a two-hour installment on August 12th. It garnered a 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 3.74 million viewers. It tied for second place with a repeat of CSI: New York at 9pm and beat a Blue Bloods rerun at 10pm. Both hours were beaten by NBC’s Dateline.

The second episode of Karaoke Battle USA dropped 11% in the demo to a 0.8 rating and 2.92 million viewers. Last week’s installment rose 25% in the demo to a season high with a 1.0 in the demo and 3.68 million.

The show airs on Friday nights so the ratings are understandably lower but these still are terrible. Of the dozen summer series that ABC’s been airing this season, Karaoke Battle USA is in last place. Reruns of lead-in Shark Tank perform better, as do installments of lead-out 20/20.

There’s simply no good reason why ABC should renew Karaoke Battle USA for a second season and the series will probably be cancelled after the remaining two episodes have aired.

But what do you think? Is this a compelling singing competition? Would you like to see it return for a second season or just be cancelled?

Diana M. September 5, 2011 at 8:22 am

We need to continue with Karaoke Battle USA with another season and I will tell you why. When something is started new there will be alot to be learned. In the second season, I am sure that the producers will look back at the season and make changes to their show to make it to the liking of the viewing audience. If the producers would not have this forum or any forum to evaluate the shows performance on TV, how would they know what the viewing audience would like to see on the show? I went to the taping myself in NYC and I can assure everyone that this was the same production crew that has done alot of contest shows for the networks. It was professionally done with well choreagraphted takes that was nothing less than amazing. I think we need to give the show another “go” for next season. I would like to see Karaoke Battle USA maybe Wednesday or Thursday nights maybe that would help with the ratings. I also believe that advertising needs to be bumped up a notch. Alot of Karaoke fans in my area in NJ did not even know that this show existed. So, I think that changes are good, and if ABC wants to continue the producers need to come up with a better game plan.

Mike Mirabal September 5, 2011 at 5:03 am

Keep it on, it provides opportunities for all the great singers and performers out there that are not 28 and below. I think the presentation can be improved, with a larger stage and studio presentation. Right now it looks kind of small time. I think there are so many people out there that can sing, they just need an outlet to show their abilities.

EARLINA September 5, 2011 at 3:41 am

Please get rid of this show. Do not bring back the level of talent that was presented to America. This show was a joke and a network time slot fill in. I watched every episode thinking to myself….who are these judges with no music ability themselves…telling those contestants they could and couldn’t sing. If ABC wants this show to go big like AI, the Voice or America’s Got Talent..then they need to get a bigger budget and BETTER talent to show to us viewers. It’s obvious that it’s a low budgeted show by looking at the production and the judges they hired. Honestly, they should just cancel it all together.

jim September 5, 2011 at 1:06 am

cancel its a scam

Ana September 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm

cancel !!!!!!!

Steve September 4, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Cancel it now!

Gene Jones September 3, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I doubt any network executives read these since they’re arrogant, and do what THEY want , but I watched this show for the 1st time on Friday (9/2/11). At first it was all right but then I got turned off by all the fast editing. I’m 60 and wasn’t brought up in an era where people were so impatient with everything being editted to quickly. I watch Ameri-ca’s Got Talent regularly when it’s on and see some REAL talent. They also let on a lot of crap, but they don’t edit each act down to 1-2 seconds like what I saw. I want to watch each singer from beginning to end and not just snipets. It’s hard on the eyes and looks like a strobe light.

Ed Spencer September 3, 2011 at 2:40 pm

My Wife and I saw the show lastnight for the first time and thought it was really good. Give it a chance. Most people thought A.I was a joke the first season. As for X factor didn’t miss Simon or Paula last season on A.I. Thought the show was much better.

Aimzee September 3, 2011 at 4:34 am

I watched the show for the first time and I really liked it!! There were some terrific singers with no upper age limit. Carnie is funny and weird, but there were some younger people I could actually picture on American Idol. I know it will be canceled but it was worth watching.

Phil Anderson September 2, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I love this show. In our area (Metro DC area), only two of the four regional finals aired. The other two got unexpectedly knocked off by football! Very difficult for people to judge a show when it keeps getting bumped. Also, the show needs to be two hours (like the first show in Vegas). Hardly any time is devoted to the performers, and way too much time to the judges (especially Carnie Wilson). At least give the show a chance. You really haven’t so far.

tionne September 2, 2011 at 6:58 pm

this show is wack-the jugdes are stupid..these people can’t sing.cancel this please it’s a joke.

F himel September 2, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Like the show, but the video quality does not seem good . Would prever to see it n a bigger arena too small

Lirodon September 2, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Do we need yet ANOTHER American Idol knockoff? (X-Factor is the only deserving AI ripoff, btw)

The fact that this is doing better than The One is amazing

NLK September 2, 2011 at 5:09 pm

KEEP IT ON IT IS A GREAT SHOW I REALLY ENJOY IT ALMOST IF NOT MORE THAN AMERICAN IDOL

L Mitchell September 3, 2011 at 4:48 am

We really love watching it. It is very entertaining. Hope it doesn’t get cancelled

Jeremy Rynek September 2, 2011 at 4:59 pm