Kidnapped: NBC Orders the Last Episode

Jeremy Sisto and cast of Kidnapped on NBCRight out of the gate, NBC has not been pleased with the performance of one of its newest serial dramas, Kidnapped.As a result, the peacock network has decided to cut the story short — but thankfully won’t leave viewers hanging.

Kidnapped is a new series that tells the story of a wealthy New York City couple (Timothy Hutton and Dana Delany) whose teenage son (Will Denton) is abducted and, the investigative team assigned to find him (headed by an ex-FBI operative played by Jeremy Sisto).

The series premiere of Kidnapped on September 20, 2006 garnered a mediocre 7.5 million viewers, losing to a repeat of Grey’s Anatomy by three million viewers. The second and third episodes dipped even lower with 6.3 million viewers each.

As a result, NBC will move Kidnapped to Saturday nights (beginning October 21, 2006). They’ve also decided to shorten the planned 22 episode order to 13 episodes. Fortunately, with such advance notice, the Kidnapped creative team will be able to make use of a contingency plan which will allow them to wrap up the kidnapping mystery by the end of 13 episodes.

It’s unfortunate that the series won’t have as many episodes but at least fans won’t be left hanging (unlike fans of last year’s Reunion series). Since NBC is still struggling for ratings and Saturday night viewership expectations are so low, it’s a pretty sure bet that all 10 of the remaining episodes will be allowed to air. TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

49 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Chuck&Christiana says

The show was definatly above the rest of the evening investagative shows!! We missed the end of it all though!!!! How can we see how it ends? You really should bring the show back! Jeremy Sisto was GREAT!!

2. Rhonda says

NBC is THE WORST network for cancelling shows without giving them a chance. Oh well, More time to watch fox and ABC… Maybe NBC will learn when they no longer have veiewer. Good going NBC, NOT

3. Ashley says

I am very upset that this show was cancelled! It was like an HBO series for those of us whoe don’t have HBO! Have you given your unhappy viewers a reason? I swear, everytime there is a good drama, it gets yanked, where stupid comedies can go on forever! How are there SO MANY Law & Order’s all of a sudden? COME ON! How about something different for a change! An ongoing drama/soap, like KIDNAPPED! It was SO GOOD! AND JEREMY SISTO IS AMAZING!!! You should be ashamed to cancel anything with him! He is gold!

4. she says

oh i really hate that the show ended. it should have pushed through with 22 episodes as originally planned. i really love the show and i am watching it all the time at axn. will there be no second season at all??? guys, we want the next season!!

5. Les says

It was definitely the best new show. Hard to figure it out when it was going to air as it kept changing! Americans are busy but will plan to be home IF they know when their show is going to be on! We don’t all have TEVO or DVR. The next thing you know it’s cnelled! The best of actors and a great story. Bring it back NBC or at least throw the season on DVD—PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

6. Les says

7. ma r t i n says

I have to agree with everyhing said here. ‘Kidnapped’ is a gem amongst alot of repetive, boring, non creative drivel on tv these days. Too many doctors, nurses, lawyers, unfunny sitcoms, stupid reality shows, trading spouses shows……etc. The networks just repackage what works in a slightly different outfit and resell it to us, or give us ‘let’s appeal to their lowest common brain cell’ junk. It’s actually a sad time for tv in general. There are only a handful of good shows left(on all the networks) that actually engage you and this show was one of them. Great actors….I mean come on……Timothy Hutton and Dana Delany? These actors don’t come easily to tv, the writing has to be there, and it is. It’s just that the networks are suffering the “we want it to be successful sooner,cheaper,now, now,now!!” syndrome. And then it’s,”Next”!!
    Time is money to them, and that’s unfortunate for us the viewers. Hope my rant made sense.

8. Joanna says

I can’t believe they’ve cancelled Kidnapped, and what happened to at least letting us have the 13 episodes.
    You studio people need to get your eyes and careers checked.
    Think about what time slot to place this show, that allows it the life it deserves. It’s far better than a lot of shows that have been left on.
    This business is so obviously run on too much policy and paper work, rather than an understanding of good entertainment.
    Unfortunately for us, it means that too much drivel stays on the air, not to mention repackaging CSI and Law & Order to the exponential degree. Yuck, give us a break.
    Don’t make us suffer your idiot decisions.

9. paula says

I was very disappointed, with the quick decision…..not to mention short notice of it’s end..great actors, really great, I was surprised at first…but now I won’t bother with any NBC shows.

10. Liz says

I enjoyed watching Kidnapped with my 13 year old and husband. It did not have all those sex scenes that you see in all the shows. Why give up so quickly on it…

11. Theresa says

What a shame that we are robbed again of good programming. Not enough sex, vulgar language, womanizing, stupid patriarchs, bumbling police? Shame on NBC.

12. Martha Doran says

I agree with all of the previous comments and feel betrayed by NBC’s cancellation of KIDNAPPED. Another good, well scripted, well acted program bites the dust. I don’t think NBC did enough to promote the program and it’s intriguing premise. What a disappointment.

13. Lynn Smith says

I too join the ranks of disappointed fans. I can’t believe you are yanking “Kidnapped!” It’s a fantastic show. It’s the only NBC show I watch. I guess I will continue watching the other networks. It’s smart, good acting, had me on the edge of my seat, I couldn’t wait until the next week to see what was going to happen. It wasn’t predicable like all your “Law and Order” shows and wasn’t about bed hopping doctors like ER (I gave that up a long time ago)! It’s sad that you didn’t give it a chance. Even trying a new time slot I think you only had it one Saturday night one time. Come on people. Give us something to enjoy! You have made a big mistake. I agree with everyone else’s letters. You won’t be catching me on your network unless you can come up with some better programming. Shame on you.