King: Cancelled, No Season Three [report]

King cancelledThough Showcase hasn’t announced it, word is that the Canadian TV series King has been cancelled.

Starring Amy Price-Francis, King revolves around Jessica “Jess” King, a tough police detective who’s trying to make her third marriage work while taking on a new job as head of the Major Crimes Task Force. Her police unit takes over cases already in progress: the toughest cases that the ordinary police force has failed to solve. Other actors in the show include Gabriel Hogan, Alan van Sprang, Tony Nardi, Suzanne Coy, Zoe Doyle, Aaron Poole, Rossif Sutherland, and Karen Robinson.

King debuted on April 17, 2011. The eight episodes of season one performed well enough to secure a second year of 13 installments. Production resumed in September 2011 and season two kicked off on February 29, 2012.

The ratings dropped significantly in year two, falling as low as 42,000 viewers. Some episodes of season one drew over 200,000 viewers.

The 21st and final episode of King aired on May 25th.

What do you think? Are you a fan of King? Are you upset that there won’t be a third season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

116 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

Ditto what everyone else is saying…you’d think that sooner or later, the network executives would pull their heads out their asses and realize that some shows take more than 1 or 2 seasons to get a following….oh well…hope they lose a bundle on starting up and then shutting down production on shows and some exec gets fired….that’ll learn ’em

2. Trevor says

Really disappointed that yet another show airing here in the UK as been cancelled. No explanation either. Strong stories, good cast and an ongoing storyline re children and saving marriage.

The same happened to Harry’s Law. Build it up into a good series and then bang, gone. More annoying as we seem to get more reality type TV shows that don’t deserve the light of day. Hopefully they will change their minds.

• kim southcott says

I have to agree with you on all points, especially reality shows not deserving the light of day. King is cancelled and now Political Animals is gone, too. Yes a different network but still a strong, well-scripted show. If you can stand the disappointment of knowing it’s not coming back, I highly recommend you watch it.

3. BPC says

I am disappointed that there will be no season 3 of King. Hopefully minds will change. I only got to see King by accident and enjoyed it thoroughly. I am from the UK, and it is shown on Universal channel here, which I think was the wrong channel for it, as that is a more established channel and know its favourites like Cold Case, CSI, Rookie Blue Without a Trace, all great and I enjoy but very serious darker crime drama, so a new show would find it difficult to succeed. I think if it was shown on the Alibi channel here which a a more liberal Crime TV station it would have got a greater response. I am praying for a change of heart. I think there are too many deadly serious crime dramas, this is what Universal caters to. King for me has been balance of humour and crime, that is better to suited to our Alibi Channel.

4. kim southcott says

An excellent show taken away. I don’t understand Showcase’s decision if it is supposedly based on audience numbers. I found it difficult to find the show as it seemed to move around. Why not promote it better and give it a third season. This is a terrific show! I am upset and disturbed that a show of this calibre is gone.

5. France says

I agree with you. This is an excellent series and I really do not understand how come the series will not have a third season. Very disappointed

6. ADRIANA says

WHYYY ??? cancelled and excellent serie, and there are so stupid series all around keep on air !!! please.. season 3 !!!!! and more !! we are very disappointed

7. DJ Pearce says

Bloody ridiculous! One of the few well done shows on TV and it gets cancelled! Just what will replace it? Am thoroughly disgusted, there was so much promise and lines to develop for this cast!

8. Darcy says

I am truly disappointed with this decision. King had a fresh feel to it and Miss Price? What can I say. A knock out.

9. Karl N. says

This show renewed my faith in Canadian television – a smart, modern show with excellent writing, directing, and acting.
    I and my wife are extremely disappointed to hear the series is cancelled – one of the only shows on television worth watching…

10. says

I was looking at this new canadian TV show and you idiots are cancelling it, do you not hear the people out there who want to watch it? I hate all of the reality shows as I think they are a waste of human mentality, but when you get a series like King where it is so used to the real life day to day crime scenes that are happening out there and you cancel it. You are dumber than more people out there than I though. Good Canadian storyline and cancelled, well I guess its back to no TV if I have to watch another dancing show or some other reality crap.

11. Bdiamond says

Hey I have something to say about this! I so upset that they aren’t going to continue! I love all characters. I’m from Iceland and i ******* watch that show! Sorry for my language I just wanna show how upset I’m!

KING is something fresh something new, everything else that involves crime and drama to day is all the same or getting way to old because they have taken all the main characters like in law and order; special victim unit! they took Detective Elliot Stabler (Christopher Meloni)
    Please continue with this Tv show :( It sucks to find something that u really like and its taken away from u.

12. Lise Lacasse says

I cannot believe showcase is so stupid to cancel this exceptionally great show. It is the ONLY show I watched on showcase. Now, I have NO reason to tune in to that station.

Please bring it back. Cancel a stupid series instead.

13. Linda says

Verybpo’d that they willing continue with a third season of King. Probably the best Canadian show I’ve seen yet. Acting is wonderful,as is the dialogue. Amy price-Francis is wonderful and Alan can sprang was amazing to watch and such a honey. I will very much miss this show. Finally canadian tv gets it right omit to pull the plug on the best they pull the plug in the best they have done. Too bad, boooooo! Oh and Roasif Sutherland, what an endearing character in Martin. Loved him. And lived the show.

14. says

Showing in UK this programme is really watchable great fun like the characters love Jessica King she is feisty great one liners love her interactions between other characters love her character. Please don’t cancel this programme

15. jessica says

The first season was decent but the cast didn’t quite work for me. Now season two’s cast changes were brilliant. The first season did OK on Sunday nights. The move to Wednesdays for season 2 was the worst decision Shaw/Showcase ever made. They put King up against Criminal Minds and Republic Of Doyle, two shows in the same genre that are each more well known and each having a million or more viewers in Canada each week. The week that Republic Of Doyle’s season ends is the week Showcase announces King, which now has less competition on Wednesdays, will be moving to Fridays. While on Wednesdays the viewers were dropping so much that had the trend continued there would have been zero viewers before the season ended.

With most Showcase original series there are 2 problems:
    There is no west coast HD feed of Showcase. You get the east-coast feed and HD prime-time is 5pm-8pm or you watch the west coast SD feed from 8pm-11pm.
    The new episodes are often on earlier in the day and by prime-time it is actually a repeat so people who were home at 11am or 8am in Vancouver could have seen it before the 9pm showing that matters for the ratings.

• Brenda says

I was really looking forward to series 3 of this show. I’m so sorry they cancelled it. Of all the shows I watch, five have been cancelled this year and I was REALLY looking forward to series 3 of King. The acting is brilliant and it was definitely a show worth watching. I hope they change their mind though I doubt it :(