Kings: Is the New TV Show As Good As Cancelled Already?

Kings on NBCLast night was the premiere of NBC’s much-hyped new series, Kings. Though the series has an impressive cast and big production values, few viewers tuned in to watch. Based on the initial ratings, will interested viewers get a chance to see the whole season?

Kings is a modern retelling of the classic David and Goliath story. It’s set in a modern world that closely resembles our own, except for the fact that what looks like the United States is ruled by a king. Kings is billed as an epic story of greed and power, war and romance, forbidden loves and secret alliances — and a young hero who rises to power in a modern-day kingdom.

It stars Ian McShane, Christopher Egan, Susanna Thompson, Michael Patrick Crane, Allison Miller, Sebastian Stan, Eamonn Walker, Dylan Baker, Wes Studi, Joel Garland, Jason Antoon, Sarita Choudhury, and Macaulay Culkin.

The two-hour premiere got off to a rocky start last night, to put it mildly. The first half hour attracted a poor 6.5 million viewers and a 1.6/5 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. By the time the last half hour had aired, only 5.5 million were still watching with a 1.7/4.

Will NBC air all of Kings?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Those numbers placed the debut firmly in fourth place among the big networks. It performed significantly worse than Celebrity Apprentice had the week before and proved to be the network’s second worst premiere of the season, behind last week’s Chopping Block.

NBC has committed to 11 more hours of the series which are set to begin airing next Sunday night. With a complicated premise and a little-watched premiere, it’s hard to imagine a scenario in which even fewer people will tune in next week. With so few viewers, NBC will have little choice but to make a change in their schedule. What’s likely to happen?

In the past, NBC probably would have simply pulled the show from the schedule and opted to leave a bunch of unaired installments sitting on the shelf. In these tough economic times however, that’s not a very viable option. As was the case with Crusoe, they’ll likely move the remaining episodes to Saturday nights to burn them off.

No matter what they decide to do with the existing episodes, unless viewership radically improves, it’s impossible to imagine that the series would be renewed for a second season. Long live the king? It appears, not so much.

Angela July 28, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Please, please, please,
Don’t cancel! It’s been a long time since there has been a quality series that I’ve looked forward to watching week after week. Give it another season!

AnnJean July 28, 2009 at 7:29 am

That just really gets on my nerves, every good show that is on they take off!!! Get a life really.

Frank July 27, 2009 at 10:27 am

Just goes to show you… Not just people in government have their heads up there rears. What are they looking for a bail out???? Here’s one try doing what your were created for. Produce quality entertainment. Oh wait… you just cancelled it!

Luke July 26, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Would love to see Kings renewed for a second season!

NBC cancelling Kings = very bad decision.

Praks July 26, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Damn it! One of two shows this summer that had a great cast, extremely well scripted characters, amazing production, addictive storyline and what do we get: a cancellation. Maybe all that we deserve is to have our brains beaten to mulch by another ‘reality ‘show

Elizabeth July 26, 2009 at 6:23 pm

I would be so upset if they canceled this amazing show! I’ve watched the story line develop and its brilliant. David and Silas are incredibly well-built characters. Im obsessed. It would be a shame for them to pull the plug on it after just one season. People need a chance to get as hooked as I am.

Jenny July 26, 2009 at 4:36 am

I saw what felt like an end of a season and was curious to see if there would be a continuation next week or if Id have to wait a few months…

Then I see its dropped? :(

That just breaks my heart

Im not religious by any means, I normally find “ghost wisperer”ish stories corny and sometimes downright disgusting but when Im watching this show I WANT that to happen. It fits so perfectly with the theme

Its fantastic

Doug July 25, 2009 at 8:51 pm

I’m not one to keep up with a tv series, but Kings definitely caught my attention. The way the storyline was going, it could have gone so many different ways and left me with a lot of questions. Wish I knew how to get the show on the air, otherwise I would.

Noel July 25, 2009 at 7:49 pm

I absolutely love this show. I am extremely dissapointed with NBC for pulling this show off the air. Excuse me for wanting to watch and bring into my home a clean and safe show that is worth watching. What viewers need is more shows like this. No more foul language or sex on the air.

Jay Major July 25, 2009 at 7:49 pm

I love this show! When I mention it to others though, they dont know what I am talking about. I think its in a bad time slot, I dont miss an episode and I hope they give it a chance.

Frank July 25, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Please don’t cancel this show. It is awesome.

Sam July 25, 2009 at 6:18 pm

I Love this show. It has a great cast, great writing. and even greater potential. I am a huge fan of NBC but if this is the end for KINGS then i will be severely disappointed. LONG LIVE “KINGS”!!!!

jim peterson July 23, 2009 at 7:56 pm

I agree. This is a great show. Too bad the network has no forsight. JP

Tara July 20, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I totally agree. I am completely hooked on this show. It is one of the few that when they changed nights, I actively went looking for it. So little on network television is watchable. This is a show I could enjoy.

justin July 20, 2009 at 12:04 am

kings is a brilliant show. great acting, creative story line. NBC should give it 1 more season — more people just need to find out about this show. absolutely amazing.