Kings: NBC Pulls Drama after One Saturday Night Showing

KingsThough NBC had high hopes for its ambitious Kings drama, the series has just not lived up to expectations. You know things are bad when a network ships a series off to Saturday nights. You know things are incredibly bad when the networks pull them from Saturday nights!

Kings revolves around the fictional nation of Gilboa, a United States-like country except that it’s ruled by a king, Silas Benjamin (Ian McShane). Based on the biblical tale of King David, the series features the talents of Christopher Egan, Susanna Thompson, Michael Patrick Crane, Allison Miller, Sebastian Stan, Eamonn Walker, Dylan Baker, Wes Studi, Joel Garland, Jason Antoon, Sarita Choudhury, and Macaulay Culkin.

After a lackluster premiere and poor subsequent showings, the peacock network decided to send the drama off to Saturday nights, the least-watched evening for network television. Last Saturday night, April 18th, was the first airing. It attracted a dismal number of viewers; 2.24 million and a 0.5/2 rating/share in the desirable 18-49 demographic.

That apparently isn’t enough for NBC and they’ve pulled the show from Saturday nights effective immediately. Repeats of Law & Order: SVU will fill the timeslot, at least for the time being. Fans of the show will have to wait until June 13th to see their show return to the Saturday at 8pm timeslot.

Despite a devoted following and a big budget, it looks like Kings is going down in the history books as one of this season’s biggest failures.

troy October 28, 2009 at 6:49 pm

I would have watched it but didn’t even know it was on ontil I found it on the web. They should bring it back and advertise more. I think people would watch it.

Amy October 20, 2009 at 11:00 am

It had been so long since there was anything decent on tv. I just finished watching the last four episodes on DVD. Finally, something really good. Something smart. I wish NBC would give it another shot.

Klasyphied September 24, 2009 at 9:31 pm

I don’t understand why they would pull the plug… I knew several people who enjoyed this series!! BRING IT BACK!!!

Rose August 8, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I love this show! Please bring it back.

Becky August 6, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Love this show! I’m not much into war shows, which made me hesitant to watch it at first, but have seen every episode on HULU and was extremely disappointed when I learned there may not be any more episodes … please make more!!!

Princess August 4, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Like everybody says, I love love love. Finally one show that makes you think. it’s so great, please don’t cancel it after making us love it. and most people watch it online, that counts too, right?

Paul August 2, 2009 at 6:34 pm

This is so typical. I knew this show would not last… It was simply too good. It seems that few things of quality on television, makes it. Not sure why that is. This is an exceptional show. I hope it continues…

Jeremiah R. S. July 31, 2009 at 9:56 am

Blame your fellow retarded Americans who want nothing more than to watch ridiculous shows like American Idol, Survivor, and Who Wants to Marry my Pig.

Blame the network executives whose only concern is the bottom dollar and who will pander to the least common denominator (the average American) in order to get it.

Our country is filled with nothing but fat, lazy, worthless, losers who watch 90 hours of tv a week while stuffing their fat useless faces with KFC, because well Opera told them to.

You wonder why this country is going down the drain? You wonder why we have politicians who continue to lie, cheat, and steal with impunity. Look no further than television and the average American loser who watches it.

Look in the mirror.

Juliene July 27, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Great great great show, how can they just throw away greatness. Please give me a season two, i am near death with all this reality tv bull crap

Heather July 26, 2009 at 11:48 pm

I, too, am sick & tired of reality shows. Kings had an interesting storyline that left me hoping for a second season.

KingsFan July 26, 2009 at 6:38 pm

First the Black Donley’s which was a fantastic show. Now Kings which is one of the few shows on television I could stand watching. If it weren’t for the office and 30 rock I would hope for NBC to take a GM turn (with no bail out) as a Broadcasting Company.

James July 26, 2009 at 3:32 pm

WOW … NBC how could you ? best show on tv right now … ive been hooked since the first episode. I better see a season 2 soon or i will be very disappointed. How can you let such great talent slip through your fingers like that NBC… shame on you

Pepperann July 26, 2009 at 9:56 am

I LOVE KINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why take such an amazing show off the air, and not only that not advertise for this from the get-go! I know that people would truly love this original series if NBC had actually advertised for it right!! I am so angry with the network because this is one of the best shows in like 10 years that hasn’t been a knock-off of doctors, or cops, it is amazing and it should be treated that way!!

stephen July 26, 2009 at 9:25 am

Why not have Jay Leno and “reality” TV for three prime time hours seven days a week? That way you don’t have to pay for quality scripted dramas at all. What a loss. Kings wasn’t perfect but it was MUCH more interesting that the rest of the crap shown on that network. Shame on you NBC.

josh July 26, 2009 at 2:55 am

i wish this truly unique show would continue.in a era of crap “reality” tv this was a bright star