Kings: NBC Pulls Drama after One Saturday Night Showing

KingsThough NBC had high hopes for its ambitious Kings drama, the series has just not lived up to expectations. You know things are bad when a network ships a series off to Saturday nights. You know things are incredibly bad when the networks pull them from Saturday nights!

Kings revolves around the fictional nation of Gilboa, a United States-like country except that it’s ruled by a king, Silas Benjamin (Ian McShane). Based on the biblical tale of King David, the series features the talents of Christopher Egan, Susanna Thompson, Michael Patrick Crane, Allison Miller, Sebastian Stan, Eamonn Walker, Dylan Baker, Wes Studi, Joel Garland, Jason Antoon, Sarita Choudhury, and Macaulay Culkin.

After a lackluster premiere and poor subsequent showings, the peacock network decided to send the drama off to Saturday nights, the least-watched evening for network television. Last Saturday night, April 18th, was the first airing. It attracted a dismal number of viewers; 2.24 million and a 0.5/2 rating/share in the desirable 18-49 demographic.

That apparently isn’t enough for NBC and they’ve pulled the show from Saturday nights effective immediately. Repeats of Law & Order: SVU will fill the timeslot, at least for the time being. Fans of the show will have to wait until June 13th to see their show return to the Saturday at 8pm timeslot.

Despite a devoted following and a big budget, it looks like Kings is going down in the history books as one of this season’s biggest failures.

Canceled and renewed TV show

95 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Nate says

One of the few television series I always looked forward to was Kings. Now that it is gone I’m killing the peacock for other networks that know what they are doing to gain my viewing.

2. Anonymous says

don’t let it die!!! it’s wonderfully different and refreshing, excellent acting…maybe would have had a better chance if the character names were different from the ones in the bible (from which the story is inspired). Still, i like it and managed to get a lot of my friends interested in it as well. Bring it back, it was good!

3. dott says

Judging by the cast, the concept and story line, I just know I would have loved this show. That is, had I even known it existed; frankly the reason I did not know about “Kings,” is because it aired on NBC. Shipping it over to another network (e.g., ABC, as Richard suggested) would really help. In general, this recent trend is infuriating: shows that my family and I really enjoy are yanked after two or three episodes. Are times that tough, that Network higher-ups are that trigger-happy? Why not make any new show, a miniseries instead? To test the waters: the BBC in decades-past, aired “Fawlty Towers,” for only 12 episodes; and “Dr, Who,” which was only supposed to run for one night, November 22, 1963, did; but then it ran for years afterward. Both shows remained wildly popular with their viewing audiences. That “quality” doesn’t matter in TV is an old story. Yet, if there is ever to be any future, “death of Television,” it will come about only because of the poor decision-making skills of TV-Execs: they shoot themselves in their collective feet— and we react by voting with ours.

4. Richard says

I thought after Leno moved back to late night, NBC was bringing back 10:00 dramas? What happened? I know last summer Kings was cancelled, but is there any chance it comes back now that they have the open slots? I can’t believe they wouldn’t continue this show. I can’t believe they wouldn’t at least shoot a mini-series to complete it. I know everybody makes fun of NBC, but how can they possibly be this incompetent? Why would they premier this show on a Sat. to begin with? Seriously, wtf. And ABC, now that you’re losing Lost, please consider picking this show up. It’s definitely a winner.

5. Laurell says

Good show, interesting story line. Ratings who does them? Maybe you should have put it on at a better time slot.
    Need to finish off story if you are pulling…….

6. andreea says

As we all know , in these days its all abt the benjamins right???……its sad i know but is also true. Aniway, i loved the show a looot, wht can i say it had a great casting,great production, the story was good too, a bit difficult to be absorbed by everyone, but in my case was no trouble, i like these kind of stories and when i heard tht they pulled the plug on it i felt really sory i was being anxious to see the second season, Sheperd`s story wasnt finished yet…………aniway maybe u guys will reconsider someday and next time have more faith.

7. William B says

Kings was the best show I have seen in years. NBC is making a mistake with pulling this one, it had the ability to big as Heroes

8. Robyn says

bring it back and this time advertise it….I don’t think many people knew about the series. There are not many shows on TV that are worth watching, I think if people knew about this series it would be very popular.

9. KD says

Bring Kings back! You air a really good drama and story line and then you pull it. Who’s doing the rating? I believe you were wrong to take it off the air. Please bring it back. I don’t usually take the time to give input about a tv program, but Kings is a wonderful series!!

10. Enrique says

Agree with all the comments, I think networks are doing poorly at promoting their series! I did hear much aout it until recent and is already off the air!!
    This was actually pretty good, good acting, great story can we get an end??

11. Mercy says

They really need to bring it back!!!!! I need to know what happens next!! I LOVE KINGS they need to let it have a chance. PUT IT IN A BETTER TIME SLOT- PPL. WILL WATCH IT!!!!!!! I WILL WATCH IT :) please please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!