Kings: NBC’s Silverman Still Has Hope for Low-Rated Drama

KingsSunday’s premiere of Kings was less than impressive in terms of ratings, especially considering the amount of promotion and money that NBC poured into it. Not even the prospect of seeing Deadwood’s Ian McShane in another series could draw in a big audience.

While things don’t look good for Kings’ future, NBC Entertainment’s co-chair Ben Silverman says he’s encouraged by the interest in the series and has faith that the show can pull through.

He tells the Hollywood Reporter’s James Hibberd, “I’m hoping because intent [to view] went up and awareness went up after it aired, clearly people responded to it, and it grew over its two hours. That gives me some hope. It’s just hard to launch things that are not obvious. We may get nailed for it, but I’m proud of the show, and we need to keep taking chances like that.”

Though his faith in the show is reassuring for the show’s fans, Silverman’s comment about the show’s audience growth over the two hour premiere is a bit misleading.

While the 18-49 demographic had slight increase in the show’s final half hour, the overall size of the audience dropped. Approximately 6.47 million started watching at 8pm and only 5.9 million stuck with it until the end. That’s not growth. Even if it was, the show was still in fourth place overall.

So, will Silverman and the network stick by Kings or abandon it? One thing is certain. The show certainly has an uphill battle for survival.

Josh July 10, 2011 at 4:15 am

Greatest show that I’ve seen in sooooooo long. I just watched the whole show in 3 days, it was so good I could barely stop watching. I’ve never even heard of this show until I found it on Hulu. Was there any advertisement for this show at all? Because I watch NBC a lot and tv in general and I never even heard of it till now. I say bring the show back, improve the advertising and I guarantee that it will do a lot better than it did.

Mat June 16, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Kings was great…..took a while to get into the story line, but once in i was hooked…….Please bring it back

hughs March 18, 2010 at 10:29 am

Send This to other Fans and to your friends, family

How to save KINGS:

This CAN save KINGS:
no personal info needed. They won’t contact you.

and join “SAVE KINGS” on TWITTER, facebook ect.

H. Cole March 1, 2010 at 8:18 am

The reason for failure is because it is on NBC which is in severe decline. If NBC sold the rights to the FOX network (like ’24′) it would go to the sky in ratings. ‘Kings’ is the only program we have viewed on NBC in years. We happened on it in the iTunes lineup and downloaded the season. Even our 15 yr. old son and 13 yr. old daughter were locked in on the show. We all hope to see it again… soon!

BROLLINS February 13, 2010 at 10:16 pm

KINGS IS SUCH A GREAT SHOW I TRULLY LOVE AND WITH ALL THE REALITY CRAP THAT IS ON TV YOU WOULD THINK THE POWERS THAT BE COULD SEE AND GIVE ALITTLE TIME TO CATCH ON. JUST GIVE IT ALITTLE TIME AND THYE POWERS THAT BE WHOEVER YOU ARE WILL NOT BE SORRY……

aric December 2, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Kings was the second best show on NBC behind Heros. BRING IT BACK!

Jason November 14, 2009 at 12:07 am

BRING BACK KINGS!!!!

Goober October 16, 2009 at 1:19 pm

You know when great shows like this one come out there are such high expectations that top officials want such fast results. But what they don’t understand is that great show like this take time. It was a spactacular show, intresting , & indepth. Its sad to say that stupid people cancel shows like this and replace them with dumb reality shows. Its almost disapointing to say that people in our near future are getting dumber by the minute, by watching these reality shows. There aren’t any more shows like Kings, & that deeply saddens me. That there isn’t any more creativity. You know that with all the money that these executives make @ NBC that there would be some one who knows what us as viewers want. But I guess that there just lazy and want something as a quick fix to fill in the time gaps on evening TV, & thats what they have done……..

Olympia October 10, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I love the show Kings also! I started watching it and got hooked with the second show. It’s the best in everything. I would never change it for Heroes or Battlestar Galactica. It’s much better that those and I don’t understand the low ratings. I think they didn’t advertised it at all. I found the show by accident looking for what to watch on that night. I didn’t want to go out and rent a movie and having 100+ channels I thought I might have something different to watch. Anyway, please don’t cancel Kings. You’ll see how it grows and people will be crazy looking for more because it is great!!!

Jay October 2, 2009 at 11:53 am

NBC is running it’s self into the ground. Bring the Show BACK. Get the cast back, rebuild the sets, and get David out of Gath and back in the Court. B.C. the last thing we need is another hour of Celeb App.