Kyle XY: ABC Family TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Kyle XYAfter three seasons, ABC Family’s Kyle XY TV show is coming to an end. Will viewers get answers to the ongoing storylines about the young man without a belly button?

Kyle XY centers around a young man (Matt Dallas) who wakes up in the middle of a Seattle forest — naked and without a memory. The police call in psychologist Nicole Trager (Marguerite MacIntyre) for assistance and she ends up bringing him home. Her husband Stephen (Bruce Thomas), daughter Lori (April Matson), and son Josh (Jean-Luc Bilodeau) almost immediately take to “Kyle” and make him feel like part of the family. He begins to show incredible intelligence and physical abilities that lead the Tragers to realize there’s far more to Kyle than meets the eye. Others in the series include Chris Olivero, Kirsten Prout, Jaimie Alexander, Nicholas Lea, Chelan Simmons, Magda Apanowicz, Martin Cummins, Leah Cairns, J. Eddie Peck, Teryl Rothery, Conrad Coates, Cory Monteith, Josh Zuckerman, Kurt Max Runte, and Malcolm Stewart.

The show premiered on June 26, 2006 on ABC Family and became an instant hit. It attracted 2.6 million viewers and became the cable network’s highest-rated show to date. The pilot was repeated on ABC and over 5.2 million people watched. The first season was made up of 10 episodes and the show was quickly renewed for a second year.

Kyle continued to enjoy very healthy ratings into the second season. They were so good that ABC Family ended up ordering 23 episodes, a longer season than most series on the major networks. In May 2007, ABC Family president Paul Lee proudly said, “Kyle XY is the highest-rated show ever on ABC Family; it is truly the show that has defined this network.”

Should Kyle XY be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Unfortunately, that sunny outlook didn’t continue for very long once the ratings started to fall in the latter part of season two. Kyle’s third season’s premiere episode attracted just 1.5 million viewers and other ABC Family shows outperformed it by a wide margin.

ABC Family has just announced the renewal of two shows — Greek and Lincoln Heights — as well as the cancellation of Kyle. No details were given for the cancellation but the decline in ratings, higher production costs, and castmember contracts coming up for renewal are all believed to be contributing factors.

The third season of Kyle kicked off on January 12th and is expected to conclude on March 16th. It seems likely that the network will continue to air all of the episodes on schedule.

Because the series finale was shot well before the cancellation news came down, it seems unlikely that all of the show’s ongoing storylines will be resolved when the last episode airs. Will fans get the answers they’re looking for or will they be left hanging forever?

Tammy June 20, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I had just finished watching the first three seasons of Kyle XY on netflix and it was an awesome show. To bad they cancel good shows such as this so that they can play those ridiculous reality shows.

kao June 25, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Same here. So disappointed that everything is always about money and making profit from people who actually takes time watching TV shows. Kyle XY shouldn’t be cancel because of its small, proportional views.

joser June 20, 2012 at 5:04 pm

that show was the best every time i came from school i watched it all the time

kao June 25, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I know. It’s like super addicting. Why did it have to go off air?

John June 19, 2012 at 5:58 am

this was one of the best show i’d watched and it makes us fans of KYLE XY very sad for an unresolved ending . Hoping for a season 4 . pls pls

Amanda June 18, 2012 at 9:46 am

I am very hurt and disappointed in who ever is responsible for cancelling Kyle XY. I watched it all over again on line all three seasons thinking maybe i missed an episode, but there wasn’t one i missed. It was truly an awesome show and i wish it could have ended better for those of us who are Kyle XY FANS. :(

Richard June 17, 2012 at 9:50 pm

at least come out with a closing episode
Like 2hours long :) I miss the show

Sammy June 16, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I am so mad that there is no 4th seaso. I was so into this show!!! :’( THey can’t just leave the show like this. It is so unfair to all of us that liked it. They could atleast tell us what happens in the end but no. Thanks for everything producer people, leave us with questions like Kyle!

Cj June 15, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I hate that it just left us on a cliff hanger!! I really liked that show, over the summer I saw that show on Netflix and it got my attention and I had to watch it. This show is not like another. I got a addicted to the show and I watched every episode in 3 days! I couldn’t stop watching it but the thing that pisses me off is that u got my hopes up for nothing. You left me with many questions that were unsolved. I really hope they think of how stupid they were for canceling that show! But no that’s the only show I liked from abc but now I hate there network! Only good thing they had on there was Kyle xy but instead of that master peice you have stupid crap shows about being pregnent.. I can careless about that dumb old show! BRING IT BACK!

Sammy June 16, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I agree!!

onoms_virus June 12, 2012 at 11:05 pm

surprised to still see comment after 3 good years, atleast amanda must be shrinking by now!! joking…
these producers are out of their minds,
they have no clues of what a good movie is,
if 500000 people think am cool, I would probably explode not to mention over 1000000,
I guess they don’t read our comment so sometimes I wonder why comment or rate, cos they always cancel the good shows and leave the boring ones, which probably cost less to produce….

josecheckmate June 11, 2012 at 8:14 am

i just watch it on netflix and i never knew that abc had kyle xy i got to say this show is better then any show i have ever seen and i didnt know about it which i can bet you a million dollars alot of people didn’t know about this show intil it hit Netflix now that everyone knows about the show and fell in love with it then it gets cancel big mistake ABC because if you would have a another season i bet you a million dollars your ratings would hit a record because now people know about your show cuz Netflix introduce it to me and so many other of my friends well i guess im going to go back to jersey shore lol if ABC does get back Kyle xy because they gain some common sense then i guess people would actually go back to ABC which i have never in my life gone to the channel before.some advice ABC and other companies sometimes when ratings are down doesn’t mean it not going to be sucessful because sometimes it takes time for it to get to the people and advertisements help a whole lot too

anonymous June 9, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Frankly by now I’m used to people canceling shows in the middle of all good parts. For instance Flash Foward, this show, ect. I think that these channels like abc family and ABC and any other ones that I can’t think of right now should respect us as the veiwers. We should get the decency of a good show wrapped up at least once. They drag the show out so long that it seems impossible to come to a close I say just make a stupid series that ends so people can keep watching it over and over agian without any cliffhangers. I just think it’s very unfair to the veiwers, because if you start a series you should END a series.

MaddyBCD June 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm

That’s so stupid! why did they end the season? There was about 16 cliff hangers in the last episode! I don’t get it? I’m SOOOO mad right now!!! almost everyone’s comments that I have looked at said that there should be another season. I agree, they had it going on to the most intense part of the season’s and they just stop!!! WHY!!! they should at least do four or five more episodes( AT THE LEAST) . They had it going on. everyone was all intensely watching it and then the just stop it!!! They put everyone’s intentions down. The characters were all good. They all played the right parts if they were to start up again they should all be the same characters….. If the company were to look at this I would tell them to e-mail me… because i have SO many reasons why they shouldn’t have stopped. It’s a REALLY BIG list. So I’m kind of calmed down now that iv’e said all the things that i’m mad about. Well got to go….. we should protest against this…just kidding ..but… i’m starting to think about it.

Anonymous June 7, 2012 at 8:26 am

Kyle xy is among the ten best movie i ‘ve ever watched since the inception oe seasonal movies.

Reyel June 6, 2012 at 12:08 am

Im super pissed that there is no season 4 I will continue 2 write y’all till you put the show back on the way u left us hanging was wrong and unnessary

Carmen June 4, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Why are we left hanging? So pissed right now. Was really into the show. I really wish they would rethink about season 4.

Justin June 2, 2012 at 5:32 pm