Kyle XY: ABC Family TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Kyle XYAfter three seasons, ABC Family’s Kyle XY TV show is coming to an end. Will viewers get answers to the ongoing storylines about the young man without a belly button?

Kyle XY centers around a young man (Matt Dallas) who wakes up in the middle of a Seattle forest — naked and without a memory. The police call in psychologist Nicole Trager (Marguerite MacIntyre) for assistance and she ends up bringing him home. Her husband Stephen (Bruce Thomas), daughter Lori (April Matson), and son Josh (Jean-Luc Bilodeau) almost immediately take to “Kyle” and make him feel like part of the family. He begins to show incredible intelligence and physical abilities that lead the Tragers to realize there’s far more to Kyle than meets the eye. Others in the series include Chris Olivero, Kirsten Prout, Jaimie Alexander, Nicholas Lea, Chelan Simmons, Magda Apanowicz, Martin Cummins, Leah Cairns, J. Eddie Peck, Teryl Rothery, Conrad Coates, Cory Monteith, Josh Zuckerman, Kurt Max Runte, and Malcolm Stewart.

The show premiered on June 26, 2006 on ABC Family and became an instant hit. It attracted 2.6 million viewers and became the cable network’s highest-rated show to date. The pilot was repeated on ABC and over 5.2 million people watched. The first season was made up of 10 episodes and the show was quickly renewed for a second year.

Kyle continued to enjoy very healthy ratings into the second season. They were so good that ABC Family ended up ordering 23 episodes, a longer season than most series on the major networks. In May 2007, ABC Family president Paul Lee proudly said, “Kyle XY is the highest-rated show ever on ABC Family; it is truly the show that has defined this network.”

Should Kyle XY be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Unfortunately, that sunny outlook didn’t continue for very long once the ratings started to fall in the latter part of season two. Kyle’s third season’s premiere episode attracted just 1.5 million viewers and other ABC Family shows outperformed it by a wide margin.

ABC Family has just announced the renewal of two shows — Greek and Lincoln Heights — as well as the cancellation of Kyle. No details were given for the cancellation but the decline in ratings, higher production costs, and castmember contracts coming up for renewal are all believed to be contributing factors.

The third season of Kyle kicked off on January 12th and is expected to conclude on March 16th. It seems likely that the network will continue to air all of the episodes on schedule.

Because the series finale was shot well before the cancellation news came down, it seems unlikely that all of the show’s ongoing storylines will be resolved when the last episode airs. Will fans get the answers they’re looking for or will they be left hanging forever?

Marvin July 9, 2012 at 3:34 am

It sucks canceling season 4 for kyle xy it a bomb show i also watched it on netflix hope they put season 4
Come on abc family put season 4 back on

dajia July 6, 2012 at 9:04 pm

they should keep the show going that’s all i mean it’s great i love and so do everyone so keep it going

chaday July 5, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I look at this show for hours and hours and i notice at the end it finish like
that it sucks big time …..please make a season 4

miriam pupo July 4, 2012 at 12:41 pm

please make another season me and my mom love it please do it i dont ever want kyle xy to finish or at least a conlusion but instead you just shut it out no i am so mad right now because it just finished now im going to make a video about this comment and if their is more than 300 people then you have to get a season 4 or i’ll tell my whole family to shut netflix down
P.S.My whole family has netflix just to say and i have a ginormous family.

miriam pupo July 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Just to throw it out there,I wanted to know how it end at least my whole family watched this T.V show,I’m litteraly crying right now please help.This is the only T.V show i loved ever since I was little PLEASE MAKE ANOTHER EPISODE OR SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finn July 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I loved this show so much that I am so frustrated they decided to end it like this.
One of the best shows that I have come across in television.
I hope they decide to bring it back.

Julian July 2, 2012 at 3:04 am

Just finished watching Season 3, and it came to my attention that there isn’t a season 4…. Why end season 3 the way it did if there wasn’t going to be another season? If they knew that there weren’t as many viewers then they should have made the season 3 finale AT LEAST 2 1/2 hours to get the point across… It is very stupid that this show ended the way it did, but it is even more stupid that the people who created kyle xy ended the season, not caring about the people who actually watched it… Way to go people, what a way to bring in more people to watch your shows! THIS SHOW WAS GREAT, and I’m mad that I can’t continue watching this; I would love to know what happens with Cassidy at the end, kyle should destroy him; or if not kyle then Jessi…. Just throwing that out there..

dajia July 6, 2012 at 9:02 pm

i agree with you i kinda love that show they need to make a season 4

Kemuel July 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Listen this is not acceptable because you have to continue something you started. This is an very inspiring show and may help others in many ways. How can you take this show from us even if you the evil people who took this show. Must of not watched this show it means alot in different ways. So bring back this show I don’t care about secret life of an American teenager because we live that dumb life so why watch it. I ask or beg for you to bring a continuance to the most amazing sitcom there is Thanks.

Kemuel July 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Also the author I only wish I could meet because if you think some of what kyle can do may be true to others

tay July 1, 2012 at 1:19 am

i stated watching kyle xy on netflix and it was so good im mad i didnt watch it when it first aired. they are jerks for leavin me hanging so badly. plz make season 4 of kyle xy!!!

simplyjhack June 29, 2012 at 10:09 pm

ohh plz bring the excitement on us by simply giving us what we all wanted and requested..
Season 4 of one of the most series i ever watched!

Mark June 29, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I cannot believe them just leaving it like that, it was one of the best shows i have EVER seen. I am livid right now. :L

Dangelo June 28, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Wow u need to make season 4 plzzz ;”(

kao June 25, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I believe Kyle XY should continue for every purpose. Thus, this show is unbelievably amazing. It have kept me awake since I’ve first seen it and without it I’m just so lost and so dead. I need this show and it can’t be cancel now. It has come to far to be cancel now. It’s my dream…and I actually did have a dream about it after knowing it ended at season 3. I wanted more. All I ask is for that this show to continue to the end where there is a satisfying outcome and not some Southern Gothic bleak and depressing crap. Nonetheless, I very admire the writer of Kyle XY, but the TV show is so much more. For the first time ever has a Television show be more superior than a book. I demand more Kyle XY.

Godfrey June 26, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Kyle xy my kyle xy why have thee forsaking me you knw i can do without you.this is one for the biggest show i admire so much ABC,that is alway being out the best in everytin they do.this is one of a movie i miss so much pls i need season4 2 keep me going.what a love.

antonio June 25, 2012 at 1:05 am

My god I was depressed I just found out kyle xy was canceld just caint bolive it I wish they would but it back on air I seen that rating it got amazing and I seen it as a lil boy but know that I’m older I wanted to see how I would end but there’s no ending to it :( caint bolive it

Arturo Garcia June 22, 2012 at 1:00 am

I can’t believe this is happening for the first time I really fell in love with a show,I mean everybody knows this show is awesome .is awesome the viewers it has .I can’t still believe ABC Family cancelled this amazing show.I don’t know about I guys but I consider mu self as a fan ,we got to do something ,someone has to make the first step .this can not stay like this. I know that some of you may say ” this dude is crazy” but no is not just me this show has also teach me alot of things , about how to manage feelings love and friends.this show has encourage me to be someone a scientist , of course I have God before than anything.I also have a cousin from Mexico ,I told him about this show. We have been watching this show like crazy.I just hope somebody can enjoin me with this at list one person . You can find me on FACEBOOK as Artturo Mjdr. That’s all thanks God bless u guys all

Angie June 21, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I can’t believe they cancelled season 4! I also finished watching all 3 seasons on Netflix and absolutely LOVED the show. Really wish they would have continued with season 4 or at least a conclusion to the show. How depressing :(