Kyle XY: ABC Family TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Kyle XYAfter three seasons, ABC Family’s Kyle XY TV show is coming to an end. Will viewers get answers to the ongoing storylines about the young man without a belly button?

Kyle XY centers around a young man (Matt Dallas) who wakes up in the middle of a Seattle forest — naked and without a memory. The police call in psychologist Nicole Trager (Marguerite MacIntyre) for assistance and she ends up bringing him home. Her husband Stephen (Bruce Thomas), daughter Lori (April Matson), and son Josh (Jean-Luc Bilodeau) almost immediately take to “Kyle” and make him feel like part of the family. He begins to show incredible intelligence and physical abilities that lead the Tragers to realize there’s far more to Kyle than meets the eye. Others in the series include Chris Olivero, Kirsten Prout, Jaimie Alexander, Nicholas Lea, Chelan Simmons, Magda Apanowicz, Martin Cummins, Leah Cairns, J. Eddie Peck, Teryl Rothery, Conrad Coates, Cory Monteith, Josh Zuckerman, Kurt Max Runte, and Malcolm Stewart.

The show premiered on June 26, 2006 on ABC Family and became an instant hit. It attracted 2.6 million viewers and became the cable network’s highest-rated show to date. The pilot was repeated on ABC and over 5.2 million people watched. The first season was made up of 10 episodes and the show was quickly renewed for a second year.

Kyle continued to enjoy very healthy ratings into the second season. They were so good that ABC Family ended up ordering 23 episodes, a longer season than most series on the major networks. In May 2007, ABC Family president Paul Lee proudly said, “Kyle XY is the highest-rated show ever on ABC Family; it is truly the show that has defined this network.”

Should Kyle XY be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Unfortunately, that sunny outlook didn’t continue for very long once the ratings started to fall in the latter part of season two. Kyle’s third season’s premiere episode attracted just 1.5 million viewers and other ABC Family shows outperformed it by a wide margin.

ABC Family has just announced the renewal of two shows — Greek and Lincoln Heights — as well as the cancellation of Kyle. No details were given for the cancellation but the decline in ratings, higher production costs, and castmember contracts coming up for renewal are all believed to be contributing factors.

The third season of Kyle kicked off on January 12th and is expected to conclude on March 16th. It seems likely that the network will continue to air all of the episodes on schedule.

Because the series finale was shot well before the cancellation news came down, it seems unlikely that all of the show’s ongoing storylines will be resolved when the last episode airs. Will fans get the answers they’re looking for or will they be left hanging forever?

Anand February 21, 2013 at 5:02 pm

To b honest I never watch that show untill three days and it was one of the best show I ever watch to no that only nw I know abt it make me more exciting thi watch season 4 pls abc bring it back

Bethboo February 20, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Abc family I want my show back!!! You can just cut it like that. I watch season 3 and that’s it. Give the show back!!! Give it!!!!

Tobejah divine February 18, 2013 at 8:03 am

I think the Abc family wants to get the attention of the world because the season 3 had a low rate sales.That is why they dont want people to watch the season4 early so that when it comes out late people wil be so excited and kyle xy wil have a high rate of sales.however, i think that the ABC family got it all wrong but i wil be happy if the season 4 finally comes out!.

Ashley February 6, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I just rewatched all of Kyle XY. I never watched it past the 2nd half of season 2 because i had moved and went into a hole with no TV for years. I was lucky enough to find all of the shows and seasons on Hulu and been watching it for almost a week now. I just finished but was sad to say, it was a major Cliff Hanger!!! However, I did some research, because i just assume Hulu just did not have all of them, and come to find out it was canceled. I was very upset, however, on wikipedia, it says your season 4 will be coming out on Sept 16 of this year (2013) I hope it does, and I hope you keep the same actors. I know in 4 years people change, but with hopes, maybe you can come up with why the show went off the air for so long. I hope to see it in Sept. Unfortunately, it just so happens, the first air date is also my Due date of my baby :) So…It might be a while before I can actually see it. Love the show, still do!

Ad3 February 13, 2013 at 5:12 pm

yeah i read it too .. episode list was changed and season 4 episode 1 synopsis was given too .. there was a proper detail given it dint seem fake to me i mean it hardly seem it was fake,what do u think ??
private info leaked or something they dint want to reveal and it got coz the page of kyle xy (wiki) got modified on feb 8 and 10 after that news!!

Jimmy February 4, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I really love kyle xy am so sad they have to stop it

Mehar February 18, 2013 at 10:25 am

why they stopped it?

Jae January 28, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I was very disappointed to find out that Kyle XY had gotten canceled….in my opinion, the show was brilliant….I suppose Secret Life was tolerable in the first season, but seriously..
If I wanted to watch seasons and seasons of Secret Life, I’d just walk out my front door..go to a high school or something.
At least while watching Kyle XY, I learned quite a number of interesting facts.

Carlos Jimenez January 24, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Lots of questions where left unanswered… but over all this show was great. To bad it will never come back but at least i like to say i am happy i got to watch it even if it was just for a few seasons.

Thanks to all the cast and a big thanks to kyle xy

Dale January 21, 2013 at 9:02 pm

what the heck? you end season 3 with us wanting more? wow i’ve never loved a series as much as i did this one and you cancel it, such dumb @sses. you really need to find people who can manage abc better!

Teresita December 30, 2012 at 9:40 am

I just watched the all 3 seasons…and I want to see more, please I need to see the end..please..please…

Aaron December 28, 2012 at 12:56 am

I know abc is a network for family but i feel like (for the shows sake) they should have added in more sex and action. or at least one of the two. i feel like they took too long to cover that part of kyles “becoming a human”. I feel the bond between him and jessi should have been what kept the audience glued to the tv. I mean honestly i was surprised it took them that long to kiss let alone have sex.

Aaron December 27, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Great show! i feel they should have least let them finish season 3 before they canceled it just out of respect for the people who did tune in every week to watch it. there were a lot of questions that were unanswered and that should been answered.

Luis rivera December 7, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I didn’t have to bring color back because he was the only person that I know it wa I just want to show back I was thinking happy you confirm the girls a nice person on the shows up be ready by boat you can I lay down happy how to beat a Kyle Kyle put it back we will have some problems. you see I don’t know right good because I was think I’ll make me force myself to write this because I love Kyle he make me learn I like teasing the show thank you

Luis rivera December 7, 2012 at 5:37 pm

katy December 1, 2012 at 1:28 pm

bring Kyle Xy back just because not everybody in the intire world dosnt watch it dose not mean that you have to cancel the show.. So now think about the people who do enjoy the show dont get to finish watching it. cause its gone!! bring it back

Aaron December 27, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I agree. I think this was such a unique show and it may have only hit a certain amount of people but those people deserve a better ending than what they gave.

Dean November 28, 2012 at 5:04 am