Last Man Standing: Season Two Ratings

last man standing season two ratingsLast season, Last Man Standing didn’t get great ratings and could have been cancelled. ABC renewed it instead. Will the numbers get better or worse this season — especially now that it’s moved to Friday nights? Stay tuned.

Revolving around a “guy’s guy” who lives with his wife and three daughters, Last Man Standing typically airs Friday nights on the ABC network. The cast includes Allen, Nancy Travis, Hector Elizondo, Kaitlyn Dever, Molly Ephraim, and Amanda Fuller.

Below are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if Last Man Standing is going to be cancelled or renewed for a third season.

UPDATE: ABC has renewed this show for a third season for 2013-14.

Final season averages: 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.93 million total viewers.

Episode 02-18: Friday, 03/22/13 (finale)
1.6 in the demo (+14% change) with 7.84 million (+22% change).
Season averages: 1.49 in the demo with 6.93 million.

Episode 02-17: Friday, 03/15/13
1.4 in the demo (-7% change) with 6.43 million (-8% change).
Season averages: 1.48 in the demo with 6.88 million.

Episode 02-16: Friday, 03/08/13
1.5 in the demo (0% change) with 6.96 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 1.49 in the demo with 6.91 million.

Episode 02-15: Friday, 03/01/13
1.5 in the demo (+15% change) with 7.05 million (+17% change).
Season averages: 1.49 in the demo with 6.90 million.

Episode 02-14: Friday, 02/22/13
1.3 in the demo (-7% change) with 6.04 million (-10% change).
Season averages: 1.49 in the demo with 6.89 million.

Episode 02-13: Friday, 02/15/13
1.4 in the demo (-7% change) with 6.74 million (-8% change).
Season averages: 1.50 in the demo with 6.96 million.

Episode 02-12: Friday, 02/08/13
1.5 in the demo (+7% change) with 7.29 million (+5% change).
Season averages: 1.51 in the demo with 6.98 million.

Episode 02-11: Friday, 02/01/13
1.4 in the demo (+8% change) with 6.92 million (+5% change).
Season averages: 1.51 in the demo with 6.95 million.

Episode 02-10: Friday, 01/18/13
1.3 in the demo (-13% change) with 6.62 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 1.52 in the demo with 6.95 million.

Episode 02-09: Friday, 01/11/13
1.5 in the demo (+7% change) with 6.89 million (+4% change).
Season averages: 1.54 in the demo with 6.99 million.

ABC TV show ratingsEpisode 02-08: Friday, 01/04/13
1.4 in the demo (-7% change) with 6.63 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 1.55 in the demo with 7.00 million.

Episode 02-07: Friday, 12/14/12
1.5 in the demo (0% change) with 6.81 million (+4% change).
Season averages: 1.57 in the demo with 7.06 million.

Episode 02-06: Friday, 12/07/12
1.5 in the demo (-6% change) with 6.54 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 1.58 in the demo with 7.10 million.

Episode 02-05: Friday, 11/30/12
1.6 in the demo (+14% change) with 6.72 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 1.60 in the demo with 7.21 million.

Episode 02-04: Friday, 11/23/12
1.4 in the demo (0% change) with 6.68 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 1.60 in the demo with 7.33 million.

Episode 02-03: Friday, 11/16/12
1.4 in the demo (-13% change) with 7.13 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 1.67 in the demo with 7.55 million.

UPDATE: ABC has ordered three additional scripts.

Episode 02-02: Friday, 11/09/12
1.6 in the demo (-20% change) with 7.44 million (-8% change).
Season averages: 1.80 in the demo with 7.76 million.

Episode 02-01: Friday, 11/02/12
2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 8.07 million total viewers.
Season averages: 2.00 in the demo with 8.07 million.

Compared to the series premiere last year, the show was down by 43% in the demo (vs a 3.5 rating) and down by 37% in viewership (vs. 12.9 million). It was however Last Man Standing’s best performance since the end of February.

Reference point: The 2011-12 season averaged a 2.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 8.61 million viewers.

What do you think? Do you still like the Last Man Standing TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a third season?

Amazon.com Widgets

Cara March 15, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Greg & I love Last Man Standing. I hope show will not be cancelled as not much on TV that is even worth our time to watch. We miss the actress that played oldest daughter. She was more interesting!!!! We love the political jabs. Balances out the other crap shows on TV.

Joy March 14, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I loved it before they changed the oldest daughter and brought in Boyd’s dad and all the politics!! Now it’s annoying to watch and we stopped watching it for that reason. They should have left it alone. It was great when it first aired and now it’s annoying!!

Carien March 14, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I’ve read a lot of the comments. I didn’t tune in for season 1…I missed the original baby mama and baby daddy that everyone loved. I’m sure it was lots of politics in season 2 because it was an election season.

As a new viewer I love this show. I was already a fan of Tim Allen. Him and Eve are great together and Hector Elizondo is a long way from the concierge in Pretty Woman or the head of “security” in The Princess Diaries!

I’m thankful to have a sitcom to watch…all that’s on all the other channels are stupid people acting ignorant trying to make it big on Reality Television Shows. That’s probably how the show got knocked to Friday night cause American’s have proven to be avid reality television show and television drama watchers more so than sitcom viewers.

Mike’s got his work out for him now because his employee/son is dating his boy crazy daughter, the baby daddy and baby mama are back together and his “father-figure” to his grandson will be threatened (the episode about the what Boyd’s last name should be was so real – my family has that issue often), and the youngest who hung on to his every whim is coming into her own as a female but still has his personality.

The writers have their work cut out for them. They’ve got to give an even larger twist to excel during season 3. I’m looking forward to it all.

Shyvone March 14, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I have no complaints. I didn’t watch season 1 (so I didn’t get attached to the previous actors/actresses who played Kristen & Ryan), my mother introduced me to the show in time to watch season 2. I find the show to be hilarious. In the face of television being taken over by stupid reality television shows I find it refreshing that a sitcom based on REALITY or what’s really going on today is being aired. It’s a shamed that they moved it to Friday nights (but my DVR is usually set or I watch it online via my iPad ABC app). Everything is so intense and hectic in life…some humor needs to be brought to the stage to lighten life’s situations. As far as Boyd’s father is concerned…get use to it…The “Baby Daddy” has been alive and well in most families for a long time and the fact that there’s always the struggle of who’s the male authoritative in Boyd’s life between Ryan and Mike and Kristen is forced to deal with blending her family…now that’s REAListic. I love that each daughter has a totally different personality and that each parent has to manage their careers, marriage, society, and respond to their children for who they are in their lives right now (A HUGE PARENTING LESSON CAN BE LEARNED HERE). The neighbors, The Larrabees, bring a current twist to neighborly relationship inspired by Archie Bunker and George Jefferson back in the 70′s and my girl Blanca is spunky! I appreciated the episode on National College Signing Day and the highlighted selfishness of young athletes and how impressionable they are on “grown women” and young ladies. These are real life topics happening today in any number of families as well as politics (it was an election year…everyone was talking about the election – I’m even sure the Kardashian’s were up on it too). They should build a show around Mandy trying out for a reality TV show now that she’s 18…really display what a breakdown it provides for these young impressionable individuals and how a supportive family should respond to the situation (right now all you see if after the reality star has been hurt a Hollywood E Story on them…then their family wants to speak out).
I hope season 3 comes back with more of the same REAListic concept that apply to what’s current for time. I hope the producers continue to be creative with introducing new character roles to add to the reoccurring characters list in response to whatever concepts they choose to respond to in season 3. Those guest characters and reoccurring roles help keep the show fresh.
I loved HOME IMPROVEMENT as a child. I made me a Tim Taylor fan and I watched all his movies (from when he played a hoax on the Amish and all the Santa Claus flicks). I’m a fan of Mike Baxter and the Baxter Family and all the show represents…I’m looking forward to season 3!

Spartan fan March 11, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I want to see “Last Man Standing renewed. It’s too bad it was moved to Friday nite. The networks either do not get it, or don’t care about the viewer. Once we have checked out a new show, and added it to the shows we make time for, then they change the day or take it off for a while . It is so annoying to find the show you planned to watch is a rerun or replaced for a nite or a few weeks. No wonder people just give up and find something else.
I think they could get the other Kristen back and ditch the ex . ‘

Jenelle Gross March 4, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Love the show….DVR it and watch it on Saturdays when I am not working. My husband and I both laugh out loud to the show each week! I really enjoy Tim Allen! I hope the show stays on! Everyone that I talk to that watches the show feels the same way! Very Funny!!!! :)

Gloria March 2, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Get rid of Boyd’s father and politics. We watch comedies to escape from depressing politics and brainwashing. Stick to humor and stay away from trying to tell people how to think. The show was funny the first season. Why in the world does ABC have to stick stuff in there like you can’t say Redskins about Indians. To find anything funny anymore, a person has to pick something from Netflix like Coach or Frazier before stupid political correctness was not taken over by all the networks.

Bronco46 March 1, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Get rid of Boyd’s dad; that will help ratings. I’m a little surprised to see other commenters saying the second season is more political than the first. The first season was laced with obama references.
I hope they decide to redo some of the characters in the next season. Tim Allen is great as always, as are most of the rest of the cast.

Anthony March 1, 2013 at 11:05 am

Agreed with other posters about Boyd’s dads character, it’s very annoying. Doesn’t belong on this show. Get a clue writers, change him or get rid of him.Not funny at all. Kind of kills the mood. I start to laugh then he comes in and it’s like …oh no not this again.Good actor but bad character for this show.

Diane February 22, 2013 at 9:08 pm

The first season was so much better then this season. They need to loose Boyd’s father and mother, they are boring! The politics issues are interesting to a point but it getting redundant .

Mike February 21, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I loved the first season, but in the second they canned my favorite character. The huge 26% drop in viewers between the first and third episode I think speaks volumes that many agree.

Stacy February 15, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Leave out the politics, lose Boyd’s dad, and do more with Eve, and it would be greater. Otherwise, Tim Allen has another good one.

Earline Gualdoni February 10, 2013 at 10:23 pm

We LOVE Last Man Standing!!!! It’s one of the few great shows on right now. Renew please!

Rich February 10, 2013 at 9:59 pm

All of my family enjoys Last Man Standing. In fact we DVR it to show as a follow up to our Sunday dinners together. Just as in the show not everyone see’s eye to eye but everyone agree’s about the great humor the show brings.

freddy February 2, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Season 1 was a comedy, Season 2 is like a different whole show….if LMS keeps bringing on the Political mentions, I don’t see it renewed for a third season, just look at the ratings…sorry but Politics isn’t funny….I liked season one….I like Tim Allen, but this is no Home Improvement…..