Last Resort: TV Show Cancelled by ABC

Last Resort canceled by ABCLast Resort has been sunk. ABC has cancelled the newbie drama. The network plans to air all 13 episodes but won’t order a back nine or a second season. ABC also cancelled 666 Park Avenue today and CBS dropped Partners as well.

The TV series takes place in the submarine Colorado when its officers are mysteriously ordered to destroy Pakistan. Sensing that something isn’t right, they require confirmation and are subsequently fired upon and hunted.

The cast of Last Resort includes Andre Braugher, Scott Speedman, Daisy Betts, Robert Patrick, Daniel Lissing, Dichen Lachman, Camille de Pazzis, Sahr Ngaujah, Jessy Schrams, and Autumn Reeser.

Last Resort TV show supportThough it received a lot of promotion, Last Resort debuted to mediocre ratings; a 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 9.31 million viewers.

The numbers declined over the course of the season and last night hit a new low with a 1.2 rating and 5.68 million viewers.

What do you think? Will you miss Last Resort? Given the ratings, should ABC have cancelled it?

Diego Point November 18, 2012 at 5:26 am

Lt. Grace Sheridan gets her “ULTIMATE SLUT” on and tries to out-slut Kate Austen (Lost) with this show’s “Sawyer”.
And PO Cortez reveals that she is not just another “Rack”; she’s the ultimate mutineer and it’s still not enough to save the lone best show that ABC could muster this year.

Unplug your TiVos and read a book!

Michael T. November 18, 2012 at 1:45 am

the problem with Shows like Last Resort is that they usually aren’t given good time slots. on abc what other show could it have been paired with? ABC does not have any police shows or military shows to pair it with. pairing it with Grey’s Anatomy is stupid. this was the same problem with the Charlies Angels show last season. ABC only has Castle as far as police dramas are concerned. Rookie Blue wouldn’t be a good fit to pair Last Resort with because summer rating are always low anyway.

JoJo November 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm

so very upset to see ABC show such impatience with this show. It really
Is an edge of your seat kinda ride each and every week. I thought the
Writing was strong and the acting was so on pointe!
Andre braugher is just amazing and Scott speedman and
He have such amazing chemistry. Their scenes were so good.
I firmly believe it could’ve gained more viewers if it had been
Scheduled on a different night and time. Thursdays at 7pm are just
Too crowded with good stuff (the big bang theory)! It deserves another chance!

Duane November 17, 2012 at 12:48 pm

At least the season will be played out. Maybe the stations heard the bitchn about canceling a show mid-season.

John November 17, 2012 at 10:50 am

Not surprised. I really wanted this to work, but it just doesn’t.

With the exception of Braugher and Patrick, the actors were like high school drama club members. I feel as though they blew their entire budget on special effects and completely forgot that they needed to spend money on writers too. I constantly felt like I was watching some high school military fanfiction instead of a network TV show. This could have been great, but it wasn’t.

Lee November 17, 2012 at 10:18 am

I totally agree with Ellen…this is/was a well done show. Great plot, fantastic actors – a real “keep them on the edge of their seats” show! Any problems there are, is not with the show nor the acting – it is with network time-slot placement and then a premature rush to cancel by executives who have stopped believing in giving a quality show enough time to rise to the top.

Pavel Novak November 17, 2012 at 8:45 am

Well, it doesn’t have vampires in it, so.. :P This show grabbed me right on first episode, only a couple of tv shows managed to do that. Story is very interesting, there could be war, president is .. well, I WILL miss it. I should be used by now, when I start to like some new show, it gets cancelled

Ike Henderson November 17, 2012 at 7:11 am

Unreal that Last Resort is cancelled one of the best new shows of 2012 hopefully show pick up by TNT or USA

Nene November 17, 2012 at 1:09 am

Agree with the timeslot being impossible, love the show, shame on ABC for not supporting their cast and crews better by giving the show a fair shake

Tha Critic November 16, 2012 at 11:06 pm

It was a quite a good show. It’s a shame that its been cancelled but for some reason, I just didn’t feel like watching it anymore. It’s hard for me to watch shows that take place entirely in just one situation versus new storylines each episode because I lose interest too fast. I do hope they can wrap everything up though.

Marcella November 17, 2012 at 8:49 am

I agree! We were excited to watch it after seeing the initial previews, but we’re a Navy family and it was just too far-fetched.

Buddy Glenn November 16, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Jeers to ABC for not giving Last Resort a real chance. This drama is intelligent, high quality, and has some fantastic production value with a stellar cast. Unfortunately, the Disney network gave the show the worst time slot — opposite highly-rated The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men on CBS and part 2 of The X-Factor on Fox. With that against you, there’s not too much hope, unless the audience find it on on-line. The serial and current storyline is deep and is something that’s not easy to follow if you don’t watch weekly.

Here’s what ABC should have done: finish up the current storyline in 13 episodes or so. Then restart the show with another journey; maybe make the stories more adventurous with the crew and sub. Also, move the show to possibly Sunday at 9PM or a later time slot on another day at 10PM.

Give it a fighting chance. There is something to work with here that could easily be retooled. Australia had a multiple season run with a high action and adventurous series called Sea Patrol (watch on Hulu). Last Resort doesn’t deserve to die … because of lousy time slot.

Tha Critic November 16, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I agree that the time slot was horrible for it.

Patricia November 16, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I am still in shock of reading the news. Such a great amazing show. I was so happy about my new great suspense drama show had in agenda. What a pity. I think they should take back that decision… the other one they cancel wont even write the name… serves them well with that number as title.. but LAST RESORT?!? come on please tell me it is not true!

Toni November 16, 2012 at 8:19 pm

This was one of the best shows I have seen on TV in years. Just like all the other shows that I have enjoyed, it was cancelled:(. Probably would have lasted on a smart network like HBO.

Danielle E November 16, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I hope you are right Ellen – its such a bloody good show and has really kicked it up a notch in the last ep. At least they are letting it run for 13 eps.

Ellen November 16, 2012 at 7:08 pm

It was too clever and too well done to survive network tv. It surely would have been a major hit on cable tv.

Jamie Ewing November 17, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Of course the smart show with premier actors gets cut
And mindless junk remains.