When did Shawn Ryan hear Last Resort was cancelled? In a recent interview on Kevin Pollak’s Chat Show, Last Resort’s co-creator shared that he got the news on Friday — after it had already been circulating on Twitter.
Ryan said, “I found out about it, around the same time as everyone else… [With social media,] there’s no time to get bad news and to be able to call the people involved. I got a call from ABC saying, ‘We’re sorry. You’re going to be able to make your 13 episodes but no episodes beyond that.’ I said, ‘Well, let me call Hawaii,’ (where we make Last Resort) and tell the actors.”
“And as I’m getting ready to do that, I looked on my Twitter account and saw that the news had broken about 15 minutes earlier. So, fortunately I didn’t find out that way but lots of people found out before me.”
Ryan concluded, “I don’t even think it’s ABC’s fault because they have to put cdertain things in place for notifications and word gets out and there’s all sorts of publications and websites that want to be the first to report things and it just gets out there.”
What do you think? Are you surprised that Ryan wasn’t the first to know? Do you think there’s any way to stop news like this from leaking out?