Law & Order: Los Angeles: New NBC Series; Cancel or Keep It?

Law & Order: Los AngelesThough NBC has cancelled the original Law & Order, they haven’t lost faith in the Dick Wolf franchise. The network recently debuted yet another spin-off, Law & Order: Los Angeles. Will this one survive as long as the original or be cancelled in less than a year, like 2005’s Law & Order: Trial by Jury?

Law & Order: Los Angeles (LO:LA) revolves around detectives and lawyers as they follow the legal process in the City of Angels. As is the case with other Law & Order series, storylines are often “ripped from the headlines.” The cast includes Skeet Ulrich, Corey Stoll, Rachel Ticotin, Peter Coyote, Alfred Molina, Terrence Howard, Regina Hall, and Megan Boone.

In it’s first week on the air, LO:LA attracted a 3.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 10.64 million total viewers. That was enough to put it in first place in both categories for the timeslot. In the demo and total viewership, the numbers slipped about 10% between when the show began and when it ended.

What do you think of Law & Order: Los Angeles?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

While not a blockbuster debut, it was the highest rated show on NBC that night. It also performed significantly better than The Jay Leno Show did in the same timeslot last year. That had attracted just a 1.9 in the demo and 6.11 million viewers.

If LO:LA can sustain or build on these premiere ratings, it looks like it has a great future on NBC. The peacock network can certainly use some positive ratings.

But, what do you think? Do you like this new Law & Order is better or worse than its predecessors? Would you keep it or rather see it cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

29 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Stephenie says

I think this show needs to be cancelled. Skeet Ulrich doesn’t fit the role. Evertime I watch it I think of “Scream”. This show will never compare to SVU or the original Law & Order. If it does continue I hope they tweak the cast a little and put more believable actors on the show.

2. Ida Brown says

I love Law And Order Los Angeles Please keep it on. Its very refreshing to see new people. I don”t think it should follow law oder suv. I didn’t ;ike the other law order they keep changing character every season. I didn’t like the way they change the lawyers season. The last couple detectives and lawyers were boring. Please give los angeles chance,

3. Judysparkles says

Law and Order was and always will be THE BEST! But L.A. is really good. I haven’t seen a new episode since 12/1/10 so I was scared it was canceled. Hope NBC doesn’t make that mistake. This show has some real substance and the actors are real and very good. Hope it continues as long as original Law and Order.

4. Sarah B says

I cannot get into this one; maybe because they cancelled the original (which was my favorite) or maybe because I cannot relate to the characters or plots. I don’t care for any of the actors except for Skeet Ulrich. NBC messed up when they cancelled the original.

5. Trisha Taylor says

I was going to watch it but after reading so many negative comments, is it worth it? My question is, why do a Los Angeles version when you could had just stuck with what had been working for twenty years. Let the LA version have its 8 episodes and bring back the original with vigor!

6. Victor says

Law & Order Los Angeles will flop. The main detective characters look like pair of stiffs. The first episode was really boring.

7. Jay says

Have not been impressed by what I have seen so far….I still don’t understand why the original was cancelled. Not that interested in super rich and famous committing mindless crimes. I am from NYC so maybe I am biased, nevertheless, I like my cop shows with more grit…Like Detroit 187, now that is a nice new show.

8. Melia says

Frankly; I am in the court room far to often, and plea bargaining is never done in the exact format and or fashion as it is on TV. Therefore this show is already getting old. I am not amused-)

9. prue says

I hated it. Although the characters changed at different times in the original, they were interesting. Sam Waterson was wonderful and passionate as Jack McCoy. I even loved the new assistant DA who took Jack’s place. They were exciting and held your interest. These new cops seem to be fashioned after Goren in CI. They are boring, soft spoken, and didn’t hold my interest at all. I’m surprised Molina isn’t more passionate in his role. I’ve seen him in other films and he is quite boring in this one. I’ll give it another week since Terrence Howard wasn’t in the first one. If it gets no better, I say cancel it.
    I really miss the old show.

10. wasp says

was not great gl;ad criminal intent is getting a final season. just wish they would extend it from 8 to 13 episodes so they cqan reach 200 . and have rene balcer come back as showrunner and do it how they did it in first five seasons. svu is not so good. its not bad. sometimes it is though. and i never saw trial by jury. i love the original ihn its first 3 years with michael moriarty, george dzundza, dann florek, chris noth, steven hill, richard brooks, paul sorvino, jerry orbach, carolyn McCormick.
    hope lA gets better a reviewert says it gets better next week.

11. Elaine Maddox says

I am so happy to see the cast, primarily to see Skeet Ulrich on the TV screen, that I hope the show makes it as a vehicle in which this cast will be with us for a long time. I thought this first show left a bit to be desired, but then don’t all new shows have a break-in period?

12. Jeremy Rynek says

I think it’s better than Criminal intent, but not better than the original or SVU. It’s cool to see some new characters, but although it didn’t wow me. But of course I’m not about to stop just because I wasn’t in love with the pilot. But I’m gonna miss Sam Waterson though. But I say keep it.