Law & Order: Special Victims Unit: TV Show Renewed for Season 12 on NBC

Law & Order: SVU renewedWhile NBC has cancelled the original Law & Order, the network isn’t about to let Law & Order: Special Victims Unit go. It’s one of their highest-rated shows in the target demographic.

Law & Order: SVU revolves around the detectives and prosecutors associated with the New York City Police Department’s 16th precinct. Castmembers have included B.D. Wong, Christopher Meloni, Dann Florek, Ice-T, Mariska Hargitay, Richard Belzer, Stephanie March, Tamara Tunie, Adam Beach, Diane Neal, Michaela McManus, and Michelle Hurd.

The series began back in September 1999 on NBC. It registered as the 40th most-watched show of the season and was still renewed. In year two, it moved up to #25 and then peaked in season three, at #14.

The cop drama’s essentially been in decline ever since but, considering the poor shape of the rest of NBC’s schedule, it’s still a top performer for the peacock network.

To no surprise, NBC has renewed SVU for next season. No word on when season 12 will debut but the network is supposed to release its schedule on Sunday.

What do you think? Are you happy to hear that SVU return for season 12? Is it the best of the franchise or is there a better one?

Canceled and renewed TV show

97 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. jose says

Law & order SVU is the greatest show ever!! I hope it goes to its 20th season the show is a hot I love it… NBC rating will be high if they just keep them coming..

2. Kk says

Glad it is returning…..not many shows on television that actually has talent in the writing and with the actors!

3. Tristynn Smith says

Law And Order Svu is my favorite show and if it ever goes off air I dont know what I would do.Mariska is a big reason I watch it.And I hope she never gives up on the show, shes perfect and the show wouldnt have been such a success without her.

4. luc mizell says

The show is still awesome. why would you cancel it. on the other hand, plenty of good shows get cancelled, like this years Miami Medical, Trauma, and Mercy. First time I’ve watched any medical traumas, beside House, in a long time. Loved all of them, and every one cancelled. Unbelievable! I’ll be surprised if they put on a single show in 2010-2011 as good as any of those shows.

5. Anonymous says

love svu its the story of my life . great actors and actresses . i would hate to see christopher meloni [ elliot ] leave .

6. Anonymous says

Incredible, amazing show. I am going to be in a deep depression if they ever cancel it. Mariska Hargitay is a beautiful woman and I absolutely love the way she portrays Olivia Benson. The show would be nowhere near as fantastic as it is without her. Love love love this show. And I am counting down the days till September 22nd!

7. Anonymous says

I love to watch SVU. Mariska and Chris rock. Mariska for this year’s emmy. Just finished season 11. I can’t wait for season 12 to begin in oz

8. caligirl323 says

law and order iis one of my favorite show i cannot wait for season 12 …omg ii cant believe jennifer love hewitt is gonna come out in one of the episodes. That just makes it even better!!

9. Caroline says

I love this show!!!! I am so physced for season 12!!! i cant wait!!!!!!!!! omg!!! this show is amazingg!!!

10. Leann says

Law & Order: SVU is a show that captures that audience’s attention for that given hour and takes them into a different perspective or world that ordinary people don’t even have a clue about. Although this is just a show, it still gives insight into these types of problems that happen around us everyday. I as a fellow viewer am glad that this series is going on for another season and hopefully others after. This is why I am recapping myself on the series by re-watching each season again. Keep going strong. It’s still a great show.

11. Lili says

Law and order svu is my favorite show I really want it to continue even after season 12 i cant live without it……………