Law & Order: Special Victims Unit: TV Show Renewed for Season 12 on NBC

Law & Order: SVU renewedWhile NBC has cancelled the original Law & Order, the network isn’t about to let Law & Order: Special Victims Unit go. It’s one of their highest-rated shows in the target demographic.

Law & Order: SVU revolves around the detectives and prosecutors associated with the New York City Police Department’s 16th precinct. Castmembers have included B.D. Wong, Christopher Meloni, Dann Florek, Ice-T, Mariska Hargitay, Richard Belzer, Stephanie March, Tamara Tunie, Adam Beach, Diane Neal, Michaela McManus, and Michelle Hurd.

The series began back in September 1999 on NBC. It registered as the 40th most-watched show of the season and was still renewed. In year two, it moved up to #25 and then peaked in season three, at #14.

The cop drama’s essentially been in decline ever since but, considering the poor shape of the rest of NBC’s schedule, it’s still a top performer for the peacock network.

To no surprise, NBC has renewed SVU for next season. No word on when season 12 will debut but the network is supposed to release its schedule on Sunday.

What do you think? Are you happy to hear that SVU return for season 12? Is it the best of the franchise or is there a better one?

Magnus Björkfall June 1, 2011 at 2:53 am

I love the series and I will sink into a deep depression the day that they cancel SVU.. I LOVE IT SO MUCH :)

sylvia May 29, 2011 at 11:04 am

please don’t stop this show, i’m a self declared #1 fan!!

Anita Kalinowski May 14, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I was in Florida for four months this year and never stopped watching SVU. They had twice two days of 24 in the four months, I was down there and stayed up watching every show. Benson and Stabler are the best, they really show about the victim. Now I am back in Connecticut and can’t wait for new season to begin. I love this show.

One thyme May 13, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Yeah law and order SVU that’s what’s up great show brings out the investigator in all of us.

Makenzie April 9, 2011 at 10:55 am

Law & order svu is the best show ever! elliot and olivia are the best detectives and i hope the show will come back for a season 13!!!

mary morton March 10, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Law and order svu is the best show on the air and I especially like Olivia and Ell and I hope this show can go at least for 2 0r 3 more years.

Stephen E Clancey March 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

That show is one of my favorites,Stephenie. March is fine looking. It is just a great show.Vm

Daniel February 25, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Please keep this show alive, it’s one of the best out there in my opinion. Looking forward to a lot more seasons/episodes

kaili glazier February 23, 2011 at 5:29 am

I for one love law and order svu! I love all the crazy episodes the thrill i get from watching each episode..always sitting in suspense!! I fell in love with both Benson and Stabler.. never get enough of them, just wish they would bring on more chemistry! I do hope for another season after 12.. and i really dont think i would watch the show anymore without mariska and chris. I would like to see the writing to be more crazy, fun. It does have a bit of a dry taste to it.. but overall its exciting to watch these detectives come together as a team and crack the case! Definitely love Olivia Benson the most!! I hope she stays for sure!!

LindseyBenson February 22, 2011 at 12:07 am

I love this show with a burning passion, and childishly hope it will continue playing for the next ten years <3 Though I know that won't happen, I do hope and pray it will continue for at least another five years, and I believe it will. *knock on wood* =)
However, I sort of agree with Really Anonymous on the fact that they all seem a bit worn out, don't they? The whole show does not have that same…feeling, as it once did. Still, I love this show so much and stand by to hope it will get better. Maybe they just need a little time to settle into the characters again, after all, people are bound to be a bit bored, it's been on for eleven years! All we can do is console ourselves with the old episodes, and hope they manage to get that fiery, strong feeling back on screen. I've picked up on that gloomy, tired, vibe that they've all been sending.
Personally, I think it would really help if they brought Casey Novak back. I know most people are obsessed with Alex Cabot, but I like Casey SO much better and really miss her wit and character. Plus, I like her relationship with both Olivia and Elliot. That whole lesbian thing with Olivia and Alex that fans say they want to happen I find disgusting, unrealistic, and it would just absolutely ruin everything. Casey and Olivia had a really cute and comforting big-sister, little-sister thing going on, which I loved. Plus, she and Elliot had a strong friendship, while Alex is just plain rude and sometimes snobby with Elliot. It's plain he didn't like her. Anyway, to wrap things up, Casey is my favorite character, if you couldn't tell already =), and I'm all for bringing her back. (Olivia is an extremely close second, and first, now that Casey's gone. <3)

Samantha October 17, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I agree with this completely! I will never understand why people go nuts for Alex and Olivia. Just thinking about it makes me sick, you know? Not because it is a lesbian relationship, but because Casey and Olivia have so much more in common and would be a great couple. Alex and Olivia is just…ew?

Teniele Cardenas February 19, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I love this so much and i hope it can go on as long as the main characters can last doing it

lynda maine February 4, 2011 at 3:27 am

I am waiting to get series 12 on d.v.d of law and order svu. I have like the series from the beginning at times it has looked a bit tired but still like the series

Alison February 1, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I love Special Victim Unit. Meloni is a kickass cop and I love to watch him in action. I am happy that its still going. HOpe it never stops

Really anonymous January 12, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I was really happy at first that this Law and Order SVU was renewed only to be sadly and gravely disappointed to see the Season 12 episodes decline in every way. The new DA they have is like a blank wall paper compared to Stephanie Marsh and Diane Neal. The writing is superficial and does not bring the best out in both main characters Stabler and Benson. Everyone seems tired. Did they all just throw in the towel and figure they got 11 great years lets just stop now? Seems that way. Hard to believe the producers and directors of the show as well as Mr. Wolf wants SVU us fans to remember the last season and send off of the Law and Order SVU family this way. I am so insulted for the entire cast that I can’t even watch the new episodes now.

Anonymous January 3, 2011 at 11:01 pm

i think is the best that ever happen that day renewed svu and i hope day keep doing it for more and more years forever