Law & Order: UK: Cancelled; No Season Nine — For Now

Law & Order UK TV show canceled, no season 9ITV in the UK has announced that Law & Order: UK is ending after eight seasons. The final installment aired on June 11th overseas but season eight has yet to air on BBC America.

Created by Dick Wolf, Law & Order: UK began in 2009 and episodes were based on early episodes of the original Law & Order series. The cast includes Bradley Walsh, Ben Bailey Smith, Peter Davison, Georgia Taylor and Dominic Rowan.

“There may well come a time when we re-visit Law & Order: UK,” said ITV’s Director of Drama Commissioning Steve November. “For the moment we’ll be resting the series whilst we continue to refresh our drama slate.”

The cancellation decision coincides with Walsh’s decision to leave his role as Ronnie Brooks. The actor has been with the series since the beginning. He said, “Eight series is a wonderful achievement for everyone involved in the production. This has been one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. I hope one day to revisit him, but for now I’d like the opportunity to pursue other drama projects which ITV are developing.”

BBC America has yet to announce if/when they’ll be airing season eight here in the States. The final episode of season seven aired in September 2013.

What do you think? Do you like the UK version of Law & Order? Would you like to see the series return some day?

Pamela White November 25, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Show the final season. I really enjoyed learning about the legal system across the pound.

Dee Gevaux November 13, 2014 at 6:01 am

I too love the show! I hope it returns in the future. Much better than the American version. Watching it in Australia!

Judy Donnelly August 23, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Only just recently discovered this show,really good TV , so sorry to see that it is finished

David Finley August 21, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Really enjoyed this series.
Being Canadian I appreciated the same terminology with regards to the police and the Crown. Also the fact that there is much less firearm violence.

Jennifer August 18, 2014 at 10:37 pm

I’m perhaps one of the few, or maybe the only person, who didn’t mind that the Law & Order UK episodes were the original US Law & Order episodes re-written to suit the UK. I have enjoyed every single episode of the series and have been with it from the beginning. Not one time did I fault a show just because I had already watched it on the original US series and knew all the details. They weren’t boring or repetitive to me in the least. To be honest, I enjoyed some of them even more than the originals.

I’ve loved all the cast members in this series from the beginning. Especially Bradley Walsh. I absolutely adore him. I must say, as much as I love the show, I’m actually sort of pleased that there will not be a ninth series since Walsh wouldn’t have been with it. I probably would not have continued watching the show without him as he is my favorite and, IMO, he was the UK equivalent of Jerry Orbach. He was the anchor in this series for me. I look forward to seeing him in other ITV dramas.

Theuresa Maven August 18, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I have watched many episodes of L&O:UK on BBC America, and was disappointed by them because they were regurgitated episodes of original flavor Law and Order, but with an English accent. I am surprised that the series lasted as long as it did. As Ryesman stated above, anyone who watched the original series, which was popular in England, after the ten minutes or so that it took to remember which episode that it was, you spent the next 50 minutes already knowing who the perpetrator was. L&O:UK had an excellent cast, too bad that it had been wasted in this manner.

Why Watch August 18, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I’ve been watching reruns of L&O and L&O:CI instead of what the networks now show. Better entertainment. Could never get into L&O:SVU.

ryesman August 18, 2014 at 9:24 am

Law & Order: UK is certainly better than its contemporary Law & Order: LA, probably because every episode has been a remake of a good Law & Order episode. However, that’s also its main flaw. Too many times I’ve known how an episode would end, since it I’d seen the original episode of L&O.