Law & Order: UK: Cancelled; No Season Nine — For Now

Law & Order UK TV show canceled, no season 9ITV in the UK has announced that Law & Order: UK is ending after eight seasons. The final installment aired on June 11th overseas but season eight has yet to air on BBC America.

Created by Dick Wolf, Law & Order: UK began in 2009 and episodes were based on early episodes of the original Law & Order series. The cast includes Bradley Walsh, Ben Bailey Smith, Peter Davison, Georgia Taylor and Dominic Rowan.

“There may well come a time when we re-visit Law & Order: UK,” said ITV’s Director of Drama Commissioning Steve November. “For the moment we’ll be resting the series whilst we continue to refresh our drama slate.”

The cancellation decision coincides with Walsh’s decision to leave his role as Ronnie Brooks. The actor has been with the series since the beginning. He said, “Eight series is a wonderful achievement for everyone involved in the production. This has been one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. I hope one day to revisit him, but for now I’d like the opportunity to pursue other drama projects which ITV are developing.”

BBC America has yet to announce if/when they’ll be airing season eight here in the States. The final episode of season seven aired in September 2013.

What do you think? Do you like the UK version of Law & Order? Would you like to see the series return some day?

Charles Leahy January 26, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Law & Order UK was my favourite and has been for years! Shame they had to stop it, guess I’ll just have to find something else to watch…….no offence, but the US versions really don’t quite cut it. If you enjoyed this series, I would recommend Broadchurch and BBC Series The Missing.

Susan in NC January 25, 2015 at 11:08 am

I have enjoyed all of the Law & Order series. It is my ‘go to’ show when there is nothing else good on TV. I’ve especially enjoyed the UK version – love those accents! It didn’t matter to me that they were the same stories from the original L&O series. Having learned about the Old Bailey from the UK version, I just had to sit in on a trial during my July 2013 trip to London. I really like DS Ronnie Brooks, but I would continue to watch this show no matter who replaces him.

julio vega January 17, 2015 at 6:04 pm

I really enjoy LA UK..I miss it and would like to know when the US can get to see the final episodes

daisy dawn December 8, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Haven’t even been able to find it in quite some time-thought it was already cancelled. What’s goingom>

Sue chandler December 7, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Waah I love this show….
I’m
In melbourne Australia and have watched all 8 series. Seen characters come and go…
I will miss watching the episodes…
Sue schandler

Bill Kraft November 30, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I agree. I believe the final series sbould be aired in the US, but I would like the series to continue.

Matt Steger November 26, 2014 at 6:16 pm

BBC America should air the unaired episodes of L&O:UK.

Pamela White November 25, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Show the final season. I really enjoyed learning about the legal system across the pound.

Dee Gevaux November 13, 2014 at 6:01 am

I too love the show! I hope it returns in the future. Much better than the American version. Watching it in Australia!

Theuresa Maven December 7, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Better than the American version, which by the way lasted for twenty seasons? Every script used in the U. K. version was directly from the American scripts, almost verbatim. The changes to Law and Order: U. K. were superficial, certain words and American slang were changed to British terms, making the show more palatable to U. K. viewers; changes in on-screen personnel, dictated because the stars of the American show because they wanted to leave, was even written into the U. K. version, which was kind of silly if the U. K. actor did not wish to leave; the shows and scripts were so similar, that I knew who did it just after the dum dum.

Judy Donnelly August 23, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Only just recently discovered this show,really good TV , so sorry to see that it is finished

David Finley August 21, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Really enjoyed this series.
Being Canadian I appreciated the same terminology with regards to the police and the Crown. Also the fact that there is much less firearm violence.

Jennifer August 18, 2014 at 10:37 pm

I’m perhaps one of the few, or maybe the only person, who didn’t mind that the Law & Order UK episodes were the original US Law & Order episodes re-written to suit the UK. I have enjoyed every single episode of the series and have been with it from the beginning. Not one time did I fault a show just because I had already watched it on the original US series and knew all the details. They weren’t boring or repetitive to me in the least. To be honest, I enjoyed some of them even more than the originals.

I’ve loved all the cast members in this series from the beginning. Especially Bradley Walsh. I absolutely adore him. I must say, as much as I love the show, I’m actually sort of pleased that there will not be a ninth series since Walsh wouldn’t have been with it. I probably would not have continued watching the show without him as he is my favorite and, IMO, he was the UK equivalent of Jerry Orbach. He was the anchor in this series for me. I look forward to seeing him in other ITV dramas.

Theuresa Maven August 18, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I have watched many episodes of L&O:UK on BBC America, and was disappointed by them because they were regurgitated episodes of original flavor Law and Order, but with an English accent. I am surprised that the series lasted as long as it did. As Ryesman stated above, anyone who watched the original series, which was popular in England, after the ten minutes or so that it took to remember which episode that it was, you spent the next 50 minutes already knowing who the perpetrator was. L&O:UK had an excellent cast, too bad that it had been wasted in this manner.

Why Watch August 18, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I’ve been watching reruns of L&O and L&O:CI instead of what the networks now show. Better entertainment. Could never get into L&O:SVU.

ryesman August 18, 2014 at 9:24 am

Law & Order: UK is certainly better than its contemporary Law & Order: LA, probably because every episode has been a remake of a good Law & Order episode. However, that’s also its main flaw. Too many times I’ve known how an episode would end, since it I’d seen the original episode of L&O.

Theuresa Maven December 7, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Law and Order: LA was pretty horrendous. Even though Academy Award nominated, Terrence Howard was pretty weak. The tone of the show was messed up from the beginning when Wanda de Jesus was removed and replaced by Rachel Ticontin. Both actresses are really good, solid actresses, but it was like having the teacher that you had finally gotten used to being changed in the middle of the school year, for an equally competent teacher, but the feeling just wasn’t the same. As in London and New York, the city was as central to the storyline as the script was, but L. A. doesn’t have a whole lot of that kind of scenery. And who the hell thought that it was a good idea to cast Skeet Ulrich in anything?