Law & Order: Criminal Intent: USA Renews and Cancels TV Show; No Season 11?

Vincent D'OnofrioLast month, we reported that USA Networks was considering cancelling its long-running Law & Order: Criminal Intent series. After a number of different scenarios were supposedly bandied about, the cable channel has made up its mind — or has it?

The spin-off series follows investigations of high-profile cases. The show moved from NBC to USA Networks in 2007. Up until last year, it starred Vincent D’Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe. This past season starred Jeff Goldblum, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, and Saffron Burrows.

Due to the TV show’s uncertain future, Goldblum decided to exit. The rest of the cast’s contracts expired over the summer.

USA has now decided to both renew and cancel Criminal Intent. It’ll come back for a 10th and final season of eight episodes. This will bring the series total to 195 installments.

On the positive side, D’Onofrio is returning as Detective Goren, a character he’s played in 133 episodes. Other castmembers are still in negotiations to return.

Executive producer Dick Wolf said, “Only time will tell if this is a fond farewell or a renaissance for Detective Robert Goren but everyone is ecstatic about going back to work on a show that’s a passion for all of us.”

Interestingly, Jeff Wachtel, president of original programming for USA, doesn’t sound totally committed to ending the show. He said “We have been the fortunate caretakers of this legendary series, and we plan to give it the world-class farewell it so richly deserves. Dick and his team promise to create a major event for television with incredible surprises. The plan is for this to be the series finale, but with a Dick Wolf franchise, one really never knows until it’s over.”

The 10th and final (?) season of Law & Order Criminal Intent is expected to air in 2011.

What do you think? Are you happy there will be some closure for the series? Do you think Criminal Intent should continue and return for season 11?

mya b April 5, 2012 at 12:37 pm

well it April 2012, and still nothing – come on give us season 11 – missing Goren – Dick u r losing money big time!!!!

linda February 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm

You can’t beat the people who started this show was the best who should be in the show.

Angie December 17, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Don’t cancel, its one of the few good shows on anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angie December 17, 2011 at 1:35 pm

PLEASE!! Don’t cancel this show!! We all need something that is interesting to watch.
After see

alissa November 11, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I have been a fan of Vincent D’nofrios since I saw him in a movie called The Bully. He was iconic in Platoon as well as in Steal This Movie as Abby Hoffman. In Law and order Criminal intent he demonstrated that he is capable of playing ANY character, and his choices in his mannerisms are so dead on that sometimes I forget that he is an actor. This show has so much more story to tell. For instance, why hasn’t Eames or Goren developed outside relationships. I just believe a romance between the two would be so interesting, especially since they are such good friends and a relationship might just ruin their mojo at work. I just want to see something go right for them for once. I also want Bobby to reveal more about his past to the shrink. Digging into the genius’ mind leaves so many story lines open. I feel like I have to demand a season 11. They think that was closure? That was the beginning of a brand new beautiful story. Endings should be more explanatory. I have to know if Goren and Eames relationship could go further. Please please please bring criminal intent back!

Jerilyn Ellis November 8, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Law & Order Criminal Intent is a very facination and interesting show. It is the only show I will watch over and over. I really loved when Goren was wise and never giving up until he came up with the solution or who was responsible for the crime. It was okay when he found out who his real father was…let him come back to that articulate wise detective who along with Eames solved the cases. It is not many shows I truly like but this is one that I do. Please, reconsider…Vincent really makes the show what it is.

Dixie October 23, 2011 at 3:16 am

I love, love, love watching Law & Order Criminal Intent. Goren and Eames make the show and are just THE BEST!!! I didn’t care for Goldblum and actually quit watching the show, but when Vincent and Kathryn came back I was excited!! Nobody, but nobody fits their shoes. They are what make Law & Order CI. I would love to see an 11th, 12th plus many, many more season’s with Goren and Eames. Having them back for the 10th season has been a BIG pleasure. I say …… bring em back for MORE!!!!!!

Margo smith October 22, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Bring it back!!!

Tasha October 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I wish they will not cancel this law and order:ci, I love law and order ci and svu, those are the best ones. Hey do not cancel this law and order ci.

Phillip Dow September 28, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Law & Order Criminal Intent should absolutely stay on the air along with SVU! I know so many people that repeatedly tell me the Law & Order shows are there favorite shows on the air, even the reruns are still some of there favorite shows. We have lost the original but, let the fans still have the best written well conceived TV series of all time stay on the air. Seriously, cheap shallow & brain numbing reality TV is dumbing the public down to great gripping well acted TV series.
Thanks

Carrie September 17, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I absolutely love Vincent D’Onofrio as Detective Goren!!!! He and Eames are the perfect “partners.” PLEEEEEEASE bring them back!!!!

I also love Chris Noth, Mr. Big, and would like him to be involved in episodes with Goren and Eames.
But, it is DETECTIVE GOREN who makes this show different, interesting, and intellectually different from other suspense/drama shows. WHY WAS IT CANCELLED–PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!
w

Viola Green September 15, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Keep on Law and Order: Criminal Intent for an eleventh season. Criminal Intent is my favorite Law and Order. I love, I love, I love Vincent D’Onofrio as Detective Goren. I have seen every episode. And will continue.

christine September 15, 2011 at 9:28 pm

what i would like to know is are they coming back on the air
i realy like watching criminal intent

Abel Franz September 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Bring back L&O CI for an 11th season…Please!

Penelope McCashland November 8, 2011 at 11:05 am

I love this series. It is intellegent and interesting. Surely they can find new stories to tell. And I like Chris Noth on the series as well as the regulars. PLEASE PLEASE keep this great show on the air.

Mz. Libra August 29, 2011 at 5:53 am