Law & Order: Los Angeles: Three Series Regulars Leaving; Will This Help or Kill It?

Law & Order: Los AngelesThree actors from NBC’s Law & Order: Los Angeles (LOLA) are leaving the series — Regina Hall, Megan Boone, and Skeet Ulrich. Ulrich was actually the first actor to be cast in the new show back in July and plays Rex Winters, one of two detectives on the series. The ladies both play Deputy District Attorneys, Evelyn Price and Lauren Stanton.

The changes are apparently part of an attempt to revamp and save the struggling series. LOLA debuted in late September to a decent 3.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 10.64 million viewers. The numbers quickly tumbled after that and hit a season low of a 1.7 rating and 6.8 million in mid-November. The first eight episodes of the season have averaged a 2.2 in the demo and 8.24 million viewers.

LOLA is currently tied with The Event and Parenthood as the fifth-highest rated scripted series on NBC. It’s hardly a hit and the peacock network certainly needs some dramas that work, particularly in the 10pm hour.

Deadline reports that the cast changes are being made “on-the-fly” and are not out of the ordinary for the early seasons of Dick Wolf-produced shows. The cast and crew are currently working on the 12th installment and production will not shut down for the changes. NBC gave LOLA a full season order for 22 episodes in October.

What do you think? Are these cast changes a good idea? Will it be enough to boost the ratings for Law & Order: Los Angeles?

H. Marie Lindsey April 7, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I never, ever liked Alfred Molina in anything he has done, but he apparently is a very excellent actor.
I am sad to see the disappearance, or should I say bump off of Skeet, altho this combination was slow to get going, they were becoming a very viable team.

Kat Horky April 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I loved criminal intent and was excited another law and order was going to be on. I liked the show the way it was and getting rid of actors isn’t going to make it better. Have you ever thought it might be the writers where the problem is. I hate it when they get rid of regular actors . It makes the shows less appealing. When they got rid of zack on bones, I don’t watch it as much because you get to know a character and when that character goes so does the show. Same thing with House.

marta April 3, 2011 at 6:01 am

I think NBC should not even considering taking LOLA out of the air — if they cancel LOLA, they will – AGAIN – make a huge show programming mistake. It is amazing to see how NBC keeps making mistakes and cancelling shows that have great potential, while investing in losers over and over again… I love the Law and Order franchize, LOLA was interesting too – I wish they had kept NY and added LA – the stories are still great… I kind of liked that they took away some of the actors – I personally think they should get rid of other common faces – like that actor that was on 4400 and the big guy – I think it is the DA or works there – that was a killer in one of the NY episodes. I like the black actor – he is new and fresh, as well as the bald guy. They should replace old faces with new actors – I just do not get it why the networks keep recycling actors – this is probably the main reason the series sunk – especially when these actors have recurring roles that are strong and remarkable… we are not stupid, guys, we can remember… The only exception is when they bring back an actor in the same role that makes sense, for example, bring back Alana as Rubirosa – it is still the same role and it is believable, as a job relocation or something like that. And to NBC executives – PLEASE do not make another bad judgement decision, enough of that… be smart, guys… keep the winning franchizes and give it some time to grow…

carol April 1, 2011 at 7:27 pm

skeet ulrich gone….so am I. I still watch old episodes of law and order and will continue as long as they are on the air.

the actor your replacing ulrich with is a good actor, but does not fit the partnership that was started on this show. re-write…dont throw a good actor out!!!!

Jeff March 21, 2011 at 3:38 am

as a long time LAO (all franchises) and a long time NBC watcher… i have gotten burned way too many times falling in love with a show and then it getting canned. Life, My Own Worst Enemy, Heroes, Kidnaped, Southland, Conan, BoomTown, Lyon’s Den, Whoopi, West Wing, Crossing Jordan, Journeyman, Bionic Woman, Las Vegas, Knight Rider, Kings, Meduim (grats CBS), and the Cape.

I am soo tired of getting interested in a show then having it canceled before you even get it off the ground. I am also tired of falling in love with a show and then after a year or 2 and well before all the back stories are told (life, Crossing Jordan, ect) it disappearing.

NBC, you want to know why you can not get good ratings? people like me have deiced to not even start watching so we do not get our hearts broken.

I will admit some of what i listed needed some fixes or adjustments, and yes i can see why some were eventually canceled, But most people get tired of getting interested in a story (no matter how short lived) when we do not get any endings or closures.

At the moment you do not own any audience with any of your shows, and you will not ever again if you continue to end them the way you do. the Original Law & Order is a perfect example. over 20 year that show served you well and and was very popular… and yet you could not even give it a proper ending. and that is why we are all gone.

marta April 3, 2011 at 6:09 am

That is sooo true. I am in Brazil right now, but lived in US for over 10 years… I can still remember the days when NBC has the best shows, always raking high in the nielsen´s ratings… Something happened with the network after Jay Leno´s fiasco, maybe it is a curse or something like that. They keep making bad decisions over and over and over again. Meanwhile, CBS and FOX are just walking in the park, they know how to build their audienced, they give their shows sometime. I think it is pretty much a management issue in all senses. I am guessing that smart networks such as FOX get sponsors that understand that shows need some time to catch or not every one of them can be first places. It is just a matter of adjusting the investment in the production with the results in the ratings. Most shows that stay for 3 seasons develop a loyal fan base that consume goods, so… Also, some shows that are first place in the ratings are short term, such as American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, so NBC results with LOLA are actually very good ones, I do not understand why they are thinking about coming back with the series – duh!

Karen March 12, 2011 at 8:22 pm

AGREE WITH ALL THE SKEET ACCOLADES!! YOU CAN EXIT THE ADAs BUT KEEP SKEET IF YOU WANT LOYAL VIEWING AND THE SHOW TO HAVE A CHANCE. REALLY MISS CRIMINAL INTENT AND YES SVU IS WANING FAST–WRITERS DO YOUR JOB OR GET THE OLD ONES BACK ON BOARD.

P.S. AS A NATIVE NEW YORKER, RIGHT ON BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL ANYTIME!!!! IT WAS AND STILL IS THE BEST!

Karen March 12, 2011 at 8:14 pm

DON’T BE SILLY!! NBC NEEDS QUALITY TELEVISION TO REMAIN. THIS SHOW, LIKE OTHER DICK WOLF LAW AND ORDER SERIES, NEEDS TO FIND ITS AUDIENCE…I’M A NATIVE NEW YORKER AND YES WHEN I FIRST SAW LOLA ADVERTISEMENTS THOUGHT UHOH!!! BUT TUNED IN ANYWAY BECAUSE OF THE DICK WOLF LEGACY. GETTING RID OF SKEET WOULD BE A BIG MISTAKE HIS CHEMISTRY WITH HIS PARTNER IS TOO ELECTRIC NEEDS TO CONTINUE. WHERE THE PRODUCERS MISSED THE MARK WITH HIS CHARACTER WAS MAKING HIM A FAMILY MAN!!! HE NEEDS TO BE MORE ON THE LOOSE LIKE A LOGAN, BRISCOE TYPE. DON’T DO THIS IT WOULD BE A HUGH HUGH MISTAKE!!!

KAREN – OREGON

Rachel March 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm

When Skeet Ulrich leaves the show so will I am my sister, we only watch because of him so you have lost two viewers. I loved him in Jericho, I hope he gets another series I will watch anything he is on. Get rid of Molina, he does not fit into the series. You guys really messed up

Anonymous March 22, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I only watch the show because of SKEET ULRICH you lost another viewer several of my friends also.

Joe Burke March 10, 2011 at 12:39 pm

This is a solid show. Skeet is great but his partner is not well-defined scriptwise or as he handles his lines (a mail-in).

Marty February 24, 2011 at 4:38 pm

No Skeet Ulrich??? Count me out. He was my favorite on the show – I watch SVU regularly (sometimes watched the original L&O but not consistently). I really liked the show as it was – I think the issue is the franchise (outside of SVU) is dying because the show can’t keep the same actors on it for very long. SVU is the only one that has always had the same partners as the main characters which is why it has been so successfuly. People get attached – take the actors away (or they leave for the silver screen opps) and you lose audience. Bad idea guys.

Shannon February 19, 2011 at 10:37 pm

What? This is one of the better law and orders. This is crazy! Drop the UK law and order and keep this hit!

RV February 12, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Start from scratch and drop everyone… actors, writers, director, etc… SVU is successful because of the intensity of the actors who are focused more on the case than on their personal lives. LOLA has waaaaaaaay too much flirting and pleasantries. That’s not what LO is about! Even CI with the crazy detective was all about the case. LOLA’s flirting is distracting. If you have about 45minutes of a show, write lines and show scenes that people want to see.

Susan Lee February 8, 2011 at 5:28 pm

go back to the original. LA is like the kind of crappy show the original law and order schooled, back in the 90’s

Laurel Kirby February 3, 2011 at 10:59 am

Don’t you know what a fantastic show this was??? IT’S AWESOME! KEEP the actors, KEEP the series!!

IF it’s NOT #1 YET, it will be soon. Stick with it. AND….Skeet Ulrich is perfect for this.

ROSE MARCHIANO January 25, 2011 at 11:45 pm

THIS NEEDS OT STAY ON THE AIR. KEEP IT ROSE

Anonymous April 9, 2011 at 5:22 am

Taking Skeet Ulrich from the show is only a disaster. He is one of the main reasons for watching. Bad move.