Law & Order: SVU: Season 14 Ratings

law and order svu season 14 ratingsIt still seems strange that Law & Order: SVU is the only one of the franchise left. Could the ratings fall low enough this season to see the venerable cop drama cancelled? Keep checking back to find out.

Season 14 of Law & Order: SVU typically airs on Wednesday nights at 9pm on the NBC network. The cast includes Mariska Hargitay, Ice-T, Dann Florek, Richard Belzer, Kelli Giddish, and Danny Pino.

Below are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if Law & Order: SVU is going to be cancelled or renewed for season 15.

The figures will be updated as the weeks progress so be sure to bookmark and return to this page:

Final season averages: 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.40 million total viewers.

Episode 14-24: Wednesday, 05/22/13
1.7 in the demo (+13% change) with 6.66 million (+3% change).
Season averages: 1.73 in the demo with 6.40 million.

Episode 14-23: Wednesday, 05/15/13
1.5 in the demo (-21% change) with 6.48 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 1.73 in the demo with 6.39 million.

Episode 14-22: Wednesday, 05/08/13
1.9 in the demo (+27% change) with 6.91 million (+19% change).
Season averages: 1.74 in the demo with 6.39 million.

Episode 14-21: Wednesday, 05/01/13
1.5 in the demo (-21% change) with 5.79 million (-21% change).
Season averages: 1.73 in the demo with 6.36 million.

UPDATE: NBC has renewed this show for 2013-14 and has ordered 22 episodes.

Episode 14-20: Wednesday, 04/24/13
1.9 in the demo (+19% change) with 7.35 million (+16% change).
Season averages: 1.74 in the demo with 6.39 million.

Episode 14-19: Wednesday, 04/03/13
1.6 in the demo (-6% change) with 6.34 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 1.73 in the demo with 6.34 million.

Episode 14-18: Wednesday, 03/27/13
1.7 in the demo (+6% change) with 6.61 million (+20% change).
Season averages: 1.74 in the demo with 6.34 million.

Episode 14-17: Wednesday, 03/20/13
1.6 in the demo (0% change) with 5.51 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 1.74 in the demo with 6.33 million.

Episode 14-16: Wednesday, 02/27/13
1.6 in the demo (0% change) with 5.44 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 1.75 in the demo with 6.38 million.

Episode 14-15: Wednesday, 02/20/13
1.6 in the demo (+7% change) with 5.61 million (-12% change).
Season averages: 1.76 in the demo with 6.44 million.

Episode 14-14: Wednesday, 02/13/13
1.5 in the demo (0% change) with 6.35 million (+21% change).
Season averages: 1.77 in the demo with 6.50 million.

Episode 14-13: Wednesday, 02/06/13
1.5 in the demo (-12% change) with 5.23 million (-19% change).
Season averages: 1.79 in the demo with 6.51 million.

Episode 14-12: Wednesday, 01/30/13
1.7 in the demo (-19% change) with 6.42 million (-24% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 6.62 million.

Episode 14-11: Wednesday, 01/09/13
2.1 in the demo (-5% change) with 8.42 million (+9% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 6.63 million.

NBC TV show ratingsEpisode 14-10: Wednesday, 01/02/13
2.2 in the demo (+38% change) with 7.73 million (+26% change).
Season averages: 1.80 in the demo with 6.46 million.

Episode 14-09: Wednesday, 12/05/12
1.6 in the demo (+23% change) with 6.16 million (+19% change).
Season averages: 1.76 in the demo with 6.32 million.

Episode 14-08: Wednesday, 11/21/12
1.3 in the demo (-24% change) with 5.20 million (-10% change).
Season averages: 1.77 in the demo with 6.33 million.

Episode 14-07: Wednesday, 11/14/12
1.7 in the demo (0% change) with 5.78 million (-5% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 6.50 million.

Episode 14-06: Wednesday, 10/31/12
1.7 in the demo (-11% change) with 6.05 million (-11% change).
Season averages: 1.87 in the demo with 6.62 million.

Episode 14-05: Wednesday, 10/24/12
1.9 in the demo (+19% change) with 6.77 million (+8% change).
Season averages: 1.90 in the demo with 6.73 million.

Episode 14-04: Wednesday, 10/17/12
1.6 in the demo (-11% change) with 6.25 million (0% change).
Season averages: 1.90 in the demo with 6.72 million.

Episode 14-03: Wednesday, 10/10/12
1.8 in the demo (-14% change) with 6.24 million (-13% change).
Season averages: 2.00 in the demo with 6.87 million.

Episodes 14-01 & 14-02: Tuesday, 09/26/12
2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.19 million total viewers.
Season averages: 2.10 in the demo with 7.19 million.

Year-to-year, the Law & Order: SVU season premiere was down by 13% in the coveted demo (vs a 2.4 rating) and down by 6% in total viewers (vs 7.63 million).

Reference point: The 2011-12 season of Law & Order: SVU averaged a 1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.87 million viewers.

Note: These ratings are collected by the Nielsen company and are the final national numbers. These are different from the fast affiliate numbers which are just estimates of the actual ratings and are reported by most other outlets. The final nationals are typically released within 24 hours of the programming or, in the case of weekends and holidays, a couple days later.

What do you think? Do you like the Law & Order: Special Victims Unit TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a 15th season?

Stephen April 4, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I enjoy the new cast members, but the loss of Stabler was tough. NBC knows it all to well, with the unknown vacation canpanion, “Great Tease”. I would love to see Cassidy back in the fold as well. He would mix well with the “Georgia Peach” too. Much like Americas Most Wanted was, SVU is too important to cancell.

Mary April 3, 2013 at 12:00 pm

It is, and has been one the very best shows aired on television.
Well written, characters well drawn out and played. You really
can’t fall into cancelling and making the mindless nonsense that
we are forced to watch should we decide to do so. med

Mary April 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm

It is also critical to retain as many of the cast is possible ~ especially the top four or five,but especially Mariska. med

Kornelia March 30, 2013 at 12:31 am

Je suis anthracite coquette! Belle Chunlei! ! Coquillages magnifiques détruit le Thunder beau printemps printemps

Kassandra March 27, 2013 at 4:52 pm

RENEW IT! Mariska needs to stay because the show needs her. I think Chris should come back. We never really know what happened to him and Olivia deserves to know with everything they have been through together. This show is way too good to cancel. It started out as another TV show and turned into an inspirational hour of entertainment. We learn about things that are going on in the world. We see how victims of brutal and unhuman acts survive. Mariska Hargitay made a foundation because she was so moved that victims came out to her about their attacks. This show, even though it’s very grim and dark, brightens my day. It shows us how even though victims didn’t have a choice when it came to their attacks they still have a voice that can be heard. They can bring their attacker to justice. NBC would be at a loss if they cancelled this show. Law & Order SVU is the only show I watch on NBC. We need a show like this on TV. It should be renewed.

Sarah March 28, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I agree with Kassandra!

I do NOT want to see this show go at all! I would be so devastated! This is my absolute favorite TV show. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen every single episode, I try not to ever miss it.

This show also inspired my career choice<3

Rosie Henderson March 16, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Please re-new another season. It’s been slacking a little bit in the last few episodes, but I’m going to watch it , regardless. The writing has held up & as long as Mariska Hargitay stays, the show will prosper! Just get her back out (hard-hitting) on the street & rough & tough in the interrogation room! Put Olivia back into complete action! I believe that’s what fans really want, plus, fans want her to have a sweetheart! It’s been a great show for so many years, NBC owes it to them to make them so more money!! They’ve certainly made NBC plenty of money in the past. Please, please give them another chance!!! Thank you.

Gillian O´Hara March 7, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I really do not think even elliot must return as a guest! let’s face it, Nick and Elliot in the same room with Benson while he was remembered as brian cassidy nick with last season. on renewing hope that the show has up to twenty seasons, on the exit of Mariska Hargitay She has not said anything and I hope to come back, but I would still like to know what would happen to SVU without benson, nick and amanda front? I do not think there should be a change in the cast if this happened. anyway if I hope to return the adas casey novak, alex cabot and Gillian Hardwicke besides BD Wong. somehow I would like SVU had again the legal essence of past seasons do not believe? on switching between the 12-13 season I think it is somewhat confusing, as many changes can happen in three months? the office of the unit is completely different and a complaint about the new season, it seems that each episode was filmed at night too csi las vegas for my taste. and I hate csi las vegas. bring svu nbc for season 15!! do not believe it would be wrong at this time svu cancel in the new NBC series are only seen by 3 million viewers and are canceled before taking the first five episodes?

Michelle February 28, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I would love to see SVU renewed for season 15, but only if Mariska stays in full capacity. She is a vital part of the show. As for “the hand”, I believe it will be Brian Cassidy and if (huge gulp) the show is cancelled, I hope she gets with Elliott at long last! Seriously, you cannot fight chemistry THAT long. It’s unnatural. Please renew, so we can wrap up some loose ends. The beginning of the season was really good, but they have gotten away from character development. I miss the personal stuff.

Michelle April 23, 2013 at 6:00 pm

So looks like I was correct! Cassidy is the secret lover….NOW Warren Leight, you need to get Dean Winters back guest starring on the show! Please give Benson a life outside work. A surprise pregnancy would be nice!

Lisa February 22, 2013 at 6:21 am

I am really enjoying the new cast. Love Kelli Giddish as Rollins and Danny Pino as Amaro. I’m a long-time SVU fan, but these new additions to the cast are so good I don’t even miss Christopher Meloni as Stabler. Season 13 and Season 14 have been great!

I agree, but I still miss Atabler February 24, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I agree, but I still miss Stabler :(.

Virginia March 23, 2013 at 3:11 am

I, love the cast addition’s except for the fact that it seem’s that Benson is in charge and the Captain seem’s to be gone(I don’t like that) because I like Cragen, and Benson think’s she is all that and a bag of chips, I loved her without that higher than thou attitude. Please bring the show back for season 15, with Cragen back in charge, and put Benson, in her place, an employee not the boss.

Anonymous February 18, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I love this show – after the Without a Trace series that I loved and it got stopped, I can’t deal with having the only other favourite stop also. Mariska is fantastic and the last two series have been much more gripping and better than the earlier ones… Look forward to more series.

Thiscrazychick February 17, 2013 at 11:22 pm

No it shouldn’t be canceled I can’t go a single day with out watching law an order svu. I have seen all the episodes like three or four times I look forward to comeing home every Wednesday night to watch law an order it makes me much more relaxed. Mariska you make the show and with out you this show would have never made it one season . Now look what you have done you have made 14 and there needs to be a 15! I will be absolutely devestated it the show gets canceld. And if it does get canceled something BIG needs to happen at the end of this season! Love the show no matter what the ratings say!

Jessica February 17, 2013 at 3:43 am

NO….dont cancel the best law and order around. Plus its my alltime favorite. I have the seasons but still what r ur fans going to do without knowing that every wednesday night u wont be there to give anothef stellar pergormance. PLEASE DONT GO. Plus fir a show thats been around for as long as u guys have deserves more credit and more airtime.

mary February 10, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I been watching law and order svu when it first stared and been a huge fan ever since i just love this show and my family loves it too i dont think the show should just end like that and i belive stabler should come back at least my reason i because hes good at his job and it not the same without him and who was the man holding beson hand on the plan what happend of finding out who that was there are too many lose ends to even end the tv hit show come on now!! ppl at least a few more season at least 4 more seasons then end it but not now please!!! ♥♥♥♥suv rocks!!!

Tracey February 7, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Any show that has been on for 14 years is expected to slip some from when it was in it’s prime. I have been a fan since the beginning and would hate to see it end, but I think the end is getting near. I love the characters and Olivia is one of my fav characters ever. As well as Mariska being one of my fav actresses. IMO she is carrying this show now. I love Kelli Giddish, I think she brings a lot to the show & Danny Pino isn’t bad either. I don’t like the direction the show has taken, it feels like I’m watching CI (the only one in the franchise I didn’t like) not SVU. There have been a few good episodes this season but not many. I think the actors are doing the best they can with what their given. My pet peeve the last few episode has been “the hand”. I don’t buy into all of it. Yes I have someone I wish it was (Brian Cassidy) but if it’s not him ok. As long as it’s not Elliot I think he was bad for Olivia. I really wish they would say Olivia is seeing someone and she’s happy. I would be fine with that and I think most long time fans would be to. After all I think thats all most of us want for her anyway. On the rumors Mariska may leave, if she does that will be it for me. I can’t see this show without her, IMO she has made this show.

Toni January 31, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I love Law and Order SVU – PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL IT.

Amber January 31, 2013 at 12:23 am

Law and Order SVU should not be cancelled./ nor should any of the people leave. Honestly I have heard some rumors, that in Season 15 Mariska is leaving, if that is the case I WONT be watching anymore

Annika February 4, 2013 at 3:55 pm

me too!

Jessica February 17, 2013 at 3:45 am

I hope she doesnt leave…she cant she makes the show. Come on mariska ur fans love u love them back by not leaving. Lol. But really u need to stay…who agrees?

Charisse February 18, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Mariska has got to stay….she absolutely makes the show…PLEASE STAY MARISKA…WE LOVE YOU!!!! KEEP LAW & ORDER SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT ITS THE BEST SHOW ON TV!!!!!!