Leverage: Cancelled by TNT, No Season Six

leverage last episodeTNT has officially cancelled Leverage after five seasons on the air. The action series will conclude its run on Tuesday, Christmas Day. Thankfully, the show about modern Robin Hoods will have a suitable ending.

Executive producer Dean Devlin recently wrote an open letter to fans. He penned, “As of the writing of this letter, we still do not know if there will be a season six of our show… Because of this uncertainty, John Rogers and I decided to end this season with the episode we had planned to make to end the series, way back when we shot the pilot. So, the episode that will air on Christmas is, in fact, the series finale we had always envisioned.”

Here’s TNT’s official statement about the cancellation:

TNT’S “LEVERAGE” COMING TO AN END

TNT’s Leverage has thrilled audiences with its delightfully intricate plots, its “stand up for the little guy” attitude and its terrific performances from stars Timothy Hutton, Gina Bellman, Christian Kane, Beth Riesgraf and Aldis Hodge. But after five wonderful years, it’s time to say goodbye. Leverage will come to a close on Christmas, Tuesday, Dec. 25, at 10 p.m. (ET/PT), with a series finale that stands as one of the show’s best episodes.

We are honored to have worked with executive producer Dean Devlin, Electric Entertainment, creators John Rogers and Chris Downey, and all the cast and production crew on Leverage. We look forward to exploring new opportunities to work with them again in the future. We also want to thank the passionately devoted fans of Leverage, who have been the driving force behind its success.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Leverage won’t be back for a sixth season or do you think this is a good time to end the series?

Jetgraphics December 26, 2012 at 12:49 am

No more Leverage? !!!
I am glad I am canceling my cable service at the end of the month. I won’t have to surf past TNT and grimace.
Short term profiteers and mindless zombies – all of them.
[rude sound here]

Asoldierswife December 25, 2012 at 11:57 pm

TNT cancels leverage; CBS cancelled CSI Miami in favor of CSI (dark) & CSI NY (more about the music); NBC cancelled Law & Order CSI and thrust L & O Los Angeles; USA didn’t bring back Political Animals but would bring back Psych. There is an audience base out here that those shows became a part of our homes because we connected with the characters–Goren & Eames with their unique detective style; you knew “H” was going to put his hands on his waist when crime solving on CSI Miami. Leverage took the viewer to a place of hope for the down trodden. My disabled hubby can’t watch certain shows on TV but he loved these shows as did I. I’m having a hard time understanding how these networks decide what “popular” shows with audience appeal to cancel. Notice I did say popular.

tyrone December 25, 2012 at 11:47 pm

TNT has now added another reason to not watch their network.

Chalie December 25, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I swear to God, I will never understand how TV network executives think…Who, in their right mind, would cancel such a popular and innovative show as Leverage after only 5 seasons? Well…That’s one less show I watch on TNT :(

Shirley December 25, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I will never understand the entertainment execs. They continue to put GARBAGE reality shows on the air and always get rid of the quality shows. I think Leverage is one of the best shows I’ve ever seen on cable. Ted, I am very disappointed in you.

Thingirl2 December 25, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Leverage is/was one of my favorite shows. It had an excellent ensemble case and the plots were very well developed and layered. Why didn’t you give notice so that we could start a campaign to continue it?

annon December 25, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Wow shocker. Very disappointed in tnt. So I guess they go back to playing law and order 24 by 7 instead of a great orginal show

yvonne December 25, 2012 at 11:10 pm

OMG, I really hate to see Leverage go. I loved the final show but I want there to be more. Well, I have to find out where the actors are up to next. This ensemble was wonderful!

Anonymous December 25, 2012 at 9:18 pm

As was The Finder, Leverage has no comparison. This is a show that has great plots, well delineated characters, wonderful chemistry and not a cookie cutter program. What the heck is wrong with them??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracy December 25, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I can believe that they would do ssomething so ridiculous. The show has amazing cast as well as plots. Yet they show HONEY BOO BOO. WO W!!!!!

Lisa December 25, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Why is this show being cancelled? What possible reason could justify this awful decision to end such an amazing show?

Kimberlee December 25, 2012 at 2:23 pm

So sad to find the on Christmas day! I watch TNT all time. I’ve just recently started watching Leverage and find it great fun to watch. I miss the years of good TV and agree with Terry above. …another good one bites the dust.

Mischell December 25, 2012 at 9:41 am

I’m beyond bummed about the series being canceled. Whoever made that decision is above and beyond an idiot and has just proven that fact to everyone.

Lynda December 25, 2012 at 2:42 am

I loved Leverage and all the actors on the show, It was the best, most entertaining show on TV today. It was such a well written and loved show, that I find it hard to believe TNT canceled it. I am so sad to see it end. I wish the best of luck and success in the future to all the actors and writers and anyone else who gave us this great show. I hope that you will all work together again and give us another great show like Leverage in the future.

terry December 25, 2012 at 2:10 am

another good show bites the dust. On of the best shows on TV.

michael December 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Bean counters have no soul. They should not be allowed to reproduce.