Leverage: Exec Producer Ready for Cancellation

Leverage last episodeWill Leverage be cancelled or renewed for a sixth season? TNT hasn’t announced anything about the show’s fate yet but executive producer Dean Devlin says that the season five finale can work as either a season or series finale.

In an open letter on LeverageFans.com, Devlin wrote:

Dear LEVERAGE Fans,

As of the writing of this letter, we still do not know if there will be a season six of our show. Just as we didn’t know when we created the last three episodes which are about to air. Because of this uncertainty, John Rogers and I decided to end this season with the episode we had planned to make to end the series, way back when we shot the pilot. So, the episode that will air on Christmas is, in fact, the series finale we had always envisioned.

This is not to say we would not do a season six should we get the opportunity. Everyone involved with the show, from the cast, the crew, the writers and producers, would like nothing more than to continue telling these stories. But, in case we do not get that opportunity we felt that, creatively, after 77 episodes, we owed it to you, our fans, to end the show properly.

I sincerely hope you watch these last three episodes. They build to our conclusion. And the finale, I believe, is the most powerful episode we’ve ever done.

From all of us who make the show, thank you for watching, supporting and encouraging us. I’ve never experienced a fandom as intense, loyal and wonderful as you all.

Let’s go steal a series finale!

Dean Devlin
Executive Producer/Director LEVERAGE

This season’s ratings are down by about 8% when compared to last year’s — 2.64 million vs 2.88 million. That’s not too bad but the show is likely more expensive to produce than it used to be and TNT’s newer shows have pulled in much better numbers.

Major Crimes averaged 5.18 million, Perception averaged 4.24 million and Dallas brought in an average of 4.42 million. So, while Leverage isn’t doing much worse, it seems likely that TNT is raising its standards of success.

What do you think? Are you okay with Leverage being cancelled or would you like to see it come back for a sixth season?

Judith Bacastow December 16, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Leverage is one of the best shows on TNT. Not to have a Season 6 would be not only a shame but a crime. The chemistry of the cast, the story lines and each individual actor make this show one of the best on TNT. TNT would be foolish to let this be the last season for Leverage and for me, a fan of both Leverage and TNT, I wouldn’t be watching their chanel very often if at all. I know the bottom line is money, but quality should count, too. Please don’t disappoint the multitude of fans waiting to hear the fate of this great series. GIVE US A SEASON 6!!!!!

Ben December 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Leverage is one of the best shows on Television.
If they cancel I’m done with TNT, I don’t watch anything else on there anyway.

LOYALFANS December 13, 2012 at 1:50 am

This is my favorite TV. series bar none ..We stayed with you so please stay with us. If TNT cancels my faavorite show,” Leverage” . Then I will cancel TNT from my list of CHANNELS. A loyal fan

Joe December 10, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I love this show and really hope TNT renews it. Great characters and a wonderful hour of TV

Darlene December 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I love this show and would be very sad to see it end. There are very few TV shows that I purchase the DVDs and watch again and again…I own all the Leverage series.

I’ve loaned my DVDs to friends and now they are hooked on Leverage. Everyone enjoys the interaction of the team and the genius of each story.

I say, do another season…and get the word out to those who have missed out on a fun and interesting show.

Duane December 7, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I am a fan and just about agree with “medchick” on her view. Leverage seems to be the step sister of other TNT shows-no respect in promotioning.

medicinewoman December 7, 2012 at 5:33 pm

The problem of decreased numbers of those viewers of a particular demographic not watching ex:Leverage and conversely watching TNT’s newer shows so that it “appears” that these shows perform better than Leverage,TNT has only themselves to blame (although they will punish the loyal viewers by refusing to renew)It becomes so obvious what the issue is by just watching which shows TNT chooses to advertise and which shows they barely promote at all. I quite literally counted how many Rizzoli and Isles advertisements vs. Leverage promos occurred during one of TNT’s one hr. shows(a rerun of NCIS: Los Angeles)and there were 4 Rizzoli and Isles promos to only ONE for Leverage. They have already renewed Rizzoli and Isles for another season and will give it any support necessary to see it succeed whereas it sounds like TNT execs have already made up their minds with regard to a sixth season of Leverage and as a result they barely let those of us loyal Leverage watchers know when Leverage would return for these last 5 shows (same date as Rizzoli and Isles, by the way,and put Leverage AFTER them ) and failed in even drawing anyone’s attention to the fact that it would NOT be returning in it’s previous time and day slot (Sundays @ 8 or 9 pm which Leverage had occupied for the last 4 seasons.
With regards to Leverage costing more to produce: the entire cast and crew along with the directors and scene production artists, to say nothing of the guest actors that the show features on practically every episode, have all relocated for at least part of their year to Portland,OR. instead of remaining in LA where I am sure they already own homes and where some of their families still stay until the filming of the show has concluded in order to reduce production costs because these people were so committed to the show and to their fans. What more could these TNT number-crunchers want from an exceptionally well written and phenomenally acted and directed show that doesn’t need overt sex scenes ( although if they wanted to have Christian Kane a little more scantily clad I certainly wouldn’t complain ) or profane language to be a thoroughly enjoyable hour of REAL entertainment.
I am, suffice it to say Disgusted,Disappointed and completely Disenchanted with TNT and will stop watching the channel all together if they do not renew Leverage for a sixth season.
You asked how I felt and I guess I told you. Sorry that you asked now?
By the way if anyone agrees with me tweet or email or write your opinion to TNT at http://www.TNTweknowdrama.com or @TNTweknowdrama #Leverage. Thanks for the opportunity to vent my feelings with regards to TNT and not renewing Leverage.

Lauren December 7, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I’ve always enjoyed shows with an eclectic group of characters that work so well together towards an impossible goal. This show is a perfect balence of action, comedy, and drama. I’m not ready to say, “goodbye”.

Madds December 7, 2012 at 2:10 pm

If anyone has seen the fanbase of this show, it is truly incredible. And to be apart of it, is even more amazing. These fans are dedicated to the end, and probably beyond. TNT is crazy if they don’t renew, because they will probably have a lot of die hards hating them which could total to almost 2+ million people!! They NEED TO RENEW!!!!

Darwin00 December 7, 2012 at 10:34 am

As someone above said, they network’s scheduling of the episodes in small packs is probably affecting the viewing numbers. I seriously HATE that networks think they are giving shows a fair shake based on statistically poor math. So many OTHER factors go into the “ratings”…. and the fact that marketers think they know what groups are best for their advertisers.
This is a good show. I get the realities of cost, but I am tire do non-scripted drivel taking over.

Cory December 7, 2012 at 12:34 am

Renew

roger December 6, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Enjoyable show. Never miss it. I’d like more, but if it goes out with an “end”, that’s ok too. There’s a lot of good scripted shows on between cable and network, so there’s always something good to record.

Lexi December 6, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Still hopeful for a season 6!! This is a great show!! Please renew!!!

Trevor December 6, 2012 at 9:48 pm

They spread it out too thin throughout the year, they need to stick to having it on more than just for 4-5 episode packs.

geri December 6, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I hope they do not cancel this show. It is one of the brighter, fresher series on TV today. The cast is great.