Leverage: Exec Producer Ready for Cancellation

Leverage last episodeWill Leverage be cancelled or renewed for a sixth season? TNT hasn’t announced anything about the show’s fate yet but executive producer Dean Devlin says that the season five finale can work as either a season or series finale.

In an open letter on LeverageFans.com, Devlin wrote:

Dear LEVERAGE Fans,

As of the writing of this letter, we still do not know if there will be a season six of our show. Just as we didn’t know when we created the last three episodes which are about to air. Because of this uncertainty, John Rogers and I decided to end this season with the episode we had planned to make to end the series, way back when we shot the pilot. So, the episode that will air on Christmas is, in fact, the series finale we had always envisioned.

This is not to say we would not do a season six should we get the opportunity. Everyone involved with the show, from the cast, the crew, the writers and producers, would like nothing more than to continue telling these stories. But, in case we do not get that opportunity we felt that, creatively, after 77 episodes, we owed it to you, our fans, to end the show properly.

I sincerely hope you watch these last three episodes. They build to our conclusion. And the finale, I believe, is the most powerful episode we’ve ever done.

From all of us who make the show, thank you for watching, supporting and encouraging us. I’ve never experienced a fandom as intense, loyal and wonderful as you all.

Let’s go steal a series finale!

Dean Devlin
Executive Producer/Director LEVERAGE

This season’s ratings are down by about 8% when compared to last year’s — 2.64 million vs 2.88 million. That’s not too bad but the show is likely more expensive to produce than it used to be and TNT’s newer shows have pulled in much better numbers.

Major Crimes averaged 5.18 million, Perception averaged 4.24 million and Dallas brought in an average of 4.42 million. So, while Leverage isn’t doing much worse, it seems likely that TNT is raising its standards of success.

What do you think? Are you okay with Leverage being cancelled or would you like to see it come back for a sixth season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

115 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

Of course we want leverage to come back,,,bring it back. So many good shows are being cancelled for some reason. Lots of fans out there….

2. Lynne says

It took me awhile to find this show but when I did I loved it. Please please bring it back. I watch re-runs but would love to have new ones to watch.

3. Nancy says

Would love to see Leverage return. We enjoyed looking forward to the good faith efforts the team put forth each week. It was very refreshing to see a story line in which a team of modern day robin hoods would go after those that might otherwise get off in a court of law via abusing a technicality. Terrific angle. All actors were excellent as well.

4. Colby says

Although it took me a few seasons to discover Leverage but once I did it became one of my favorite shows. It was different from all the other good guy/bad guy shows. Although I could see a common Leverage “formula” of a plan then wrinkles in the plan then the plan comes together and our guys prevail, it was not predictable. It was a show that I would put on DVR and watch when I wanted to feel good. I liked each character and how the actors portrayed them. It wasn’t a Robin Hood for me but more of a feasible “A Team” type program. I hope that some network or syndication company resurrects Leverage as it was a good and unique series.

5. Pat H says

I’m very disappointed that the show has been cancelled. Was one of my favorite shows. Had to DVR it because I worked nights. Now I’m retired and was looking forward to another season. Bummer ):

6. says

I love this show. It is fun and light hearted. Just enough drama and a great team of actors. Would love to see it continue.