Lie to Me: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Lie to Me canceledSometimes the truth hurts — especially when it comes to television ratings. After three seasons, FOX has cancelled Lie to Me.

Starring Tim Roth, Lie to Me revolves around Cal Lightman and members of The Lightman Group. They’re a team of specialists who help law enforcement agencies uncover the truth by using applied psychology. Others in the cast include Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Monica Raymund, Hayley McFarland, and Mekhi Phifer.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. That was down from season one and the series found itself on the bubble for renewal. FOX ended up giving the TV series another chance and renewed it for 13 episodes.

Unfortunately, season three didn’t perform nearly as well as season two. It premiered last October to a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.86 million. Viewership eroded in subsequent weeks and FOX declined to give the show a full season order. Lie to Me then hit a new series low in January, registering a meager 1.5 rating and 5.43 million viewers.

Should Lie to Me have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its final weeks on the air, viewers seemed to rally behind it and Lie to Me had its best ratings of the season — a 2.5 in the demo and 7.67 million.

Though the ratings had come way down, FOX execs claimed that they still valued the TV series and saw it as a solid utility player. Showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportNow, after three seasons on the air, the series is over. FOX has officially cancelled Lie to Me after 48 episodes. All of the installments have aired. Though there are too few episodes for a traditional syndication package, the first two seasons have already been released on DVD.

What do you think? Should Lie to Me have been renewed for season four?

Lenny P June 17, 2012 at 9:29 am

Well you know what they say, those genius Fox Executives.
If it aint stupid, if it doesn’t contain violence,if it doesn’t contribute to the moral decay of the country then it must not be any good. If it offers good lessons to be used in peoples everydays life, if the acting is good and the script are intelligent well we cant have that, for it only appeals to a small minority of the public, shame om us for allowing this on TV.
This is and saddly was a first rate drama. Frst time since the XFiles and Millenium that I began to watch a TV series again, but unfortunately the controllers of the garbage that’s fed to the American people would not allow it to continue.
Next week replacing Lie to Me will be the brand new critically acclaimed series Desperate Husbands, from the producers of the old critically acclaimed series Desperate Housewives. Tune in America, tune in and get fed the opium for the masses, we are sure that it will not stimulate not your emotions, your brains, it will not contribute to your life but it sure will satisfy our advertisers.
I am glad I bought the DVD’s. I and many more live now in a DVD world. I watch what I want not what they want do you understand this advertisers, a good amount of us are not watching your commercials.

rene June 16, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Just started watching lie to me on Netflix, never heard of it before, such a great show, they should bring it back its totally addicting!!!

Kassie burgess June 11, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Lie to me has taught me so much! I really connect with the show! It is unique and surprising! BRING IT BACK!! Some people have school,work,and kids and we don’t get to watch it when it aires, but we do watch what we have missed! Fox is making a big mistake taking all of the good shows off! I will no lOnger be a supporter if the viewers dont even get a say!

Sarah June 4, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I’m so disappointed this show was canceled. There was so much more with the characters that hadn’t been developed fully yet! Poor choice by Fox to get rid of a show that actually had intellectual value, good characters, and tons more plot line to explore. I really hope they bring it back for a 4th season!

esto June 2, 2012 at 9:35 am

A show that one can truly learn copious amounts of daily applicable knowledge! Network made a mistake when it was canceled…

julie May 27, 2012 at 2:45 pm

its the best serie i have seen. if it gets low views its because its on the verge of being too intelligent for the mass media world of entertainment. hope it would come back.

Joel May 24, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Such a great show! We just found it on Netflix too an we love it; can’t stop watching it. So disappointed in learning that it stops after Season 3. At least we just started in Season 2, so we’ll keep enjoying it for a few great weeks!! Hope it comes back!

dawn May 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm

BRING LIE TO ME BACK!!!! Brilliant show how could they cancel a great show?!

Jen May 23, 2012 at 3:11 am

I love this show! I hope Fox brings it back. I didn’t know about it before Netflix, but I will definitely watch it when it comes back on.

April May 21, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I love this show! I wish I would have known about it before Netflix. Bring it back!

Angie May 21, 2012 at 9:30 am

Yes, Lie To Me was the best show. I would still like to see season four.

Luepnitz May 20, 2012 at 12:57 am

I loved this show and am craving more episodes! I wasn’t even aware of this show until I found it on Netflix. RECENTLY, I watch alot of tv and movies now, and I would have remembered if this show were advertised more! Please try another season or more, advertise, and I believe you’ll be happy with your numbers ( ratings), it should have been a soaring success, obviously something was amiss in the promoting or scheduling of the series. I don’t know what exactly but I DO KNOW A GREAT SHOW and is a ‘great show’!

Jeevan Thandi May 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

Lie To Me is amazing, the people that watch it LOVE IT like me! I was really sad when it was over and that FOX were cancelling it. I hope that they are just making us hungry for it and will make season 4 :(

Mulder May 18, 2012 at 7:36 am

Lie to ME,was too CLOSE to the TRUTH always,is why taken off 2 1/2 seasons,ratings had ZERO to do,with WHY is gone FOREVER now.FOX was FORCED to shut it down,by the REAL powers that be.For US to SEE and KNOW the real TRUTH on people faces,is a danger to national SECURITY as they VIEW it.When I saw all the political faces together with criminals,used in the series,and the 1 UFO sighting episode,,,I knew right away,this GREAT series,will be GONE,for sure,,,FAST

Dan May 16, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I think the show was one of the most brilliant I have ever seen. I must have watched every episode at least 3 times… It was one of those rare series where it just keeps getting better and not even one episode was poor in comparison to the others.