Lie to Me: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Lie to Me canceledSometimes the truth hurts — especially when it comes to television ratings. After three seasons, FOX has cancelled Lie to Me.

Starring Tim Roth, Lie to Me revolves around Cal Lightman and members of The Lightman Group. They’re a team of specialists who help law enforcement agencies uncover the truth by using applied psychology. Others in the cast include Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Monica Raymund, Hayley McFarland, and Mekhi Phifer.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. That was down from season one and the series found itself on the bubble for renewal. FOX ended up giving the TV series another chance and renewed it for 13 episodes.

Unfortunately, season three didn’t perform nearly as well as season two. It premiered last October to a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.86 million. Viewership eroded in subsequent weeks and FOX declined to give the show a full season order. Lie to Me then hit a new series low in January, registering a meager 1.5 rating and 5.43 million viewers.

Should Lie to Me have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its final weeks on the air, viewers seemed to rally behind it and Lie to Me had its best ratings of the season — a 2.5 in the demo and 7.67 million.

Though the ratings had come way down, FOX execs claimed that they still valued the TV series and saw it as a solid utility player. Showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportNow, after three seasons on the air, the series is over. FOX has officially cancelled Lie to Me after 48 episodes. All of the installments have aired. Though there are too few episodes for a traditional syndication package, the first two seasons have already been released on DVD.

What do you think? Should Lie to Me have been renewed for season four?

Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 11:48 am

Absolutely! It is the best show ever. It made sense and you could relate it with your life.

Marie January 7, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please bring it back. I watched it faithfully and miss it terribly. It was one show with a different take on crime, and stood on its own as best content & acting, compared to a lot of crap that’s on nowadays.

Debi Brown January 4, 2013 at 7:09 pm

My husband and I miss that show

Charlie Denson December 29, 2012 at 2:46 pm

The show is smart, witty .. and entertaining. There are so many annoying shows on today.. this one was a breath of fresh air… It seems TV will be over run by ADHD sufferers and all the intellectual shows will be all ousted eventually …. grrrrr

Anonymous December 26, 2012 at 3:28 am

if u actually also realse the show in more countrys u will see it wil rise like stars damid this is a awsome show damid

AAmanda December 23, 2012 at 1:36 am

FOX, like thier news program, is SOLEY interested in maximizing prophet by dumming DOWN the population with nonsensical shit. It was apparent the show was becoming a huge success in its own right, but not at the rate that FOX wanted it. Nor was it suitable for keeping the masses retarded. The show is well played out, intriguing, provoking, and thoroughly gratifying. Now if that is not a good enough reason to keep it on, I do not know what is. Oh wait, I guess I have to be a robot who doesn’t think…then they would have kept the show on…

Dwhite December 19, 2012 at 6:23 pm

No i do not think that the show should have beeen canceled. I had come to love the charcters that were on the show. I am a young 38 african amercian woman and i really enjoyed watching Cal do his thing. The realationship he shared with his daughter was pretty goood to watch. We don’t really see a lot of single fathers on TV show now days. I think the show maybe hit to close to home for some people. We live in a world were lining has become the norm. And the show put a little fair in some pepole, to think that there could be an organization out there like the one on the show….makes you go hummm….I prayer that the producers of the show reads these comments and listen to the viewers and give the show a second chance… Cuz there are a lot of us out here that really and truly loved the show. I mite not be able to watch the show in real time,But i do record the show and watch it on the weekends….. That way i can skip the commercials

Bonnie December 14, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Fascinating show. Can’t stip watching it on netflix. Please do more.

Luke December 8, 2012 at 5:21 am

I guess fox lied to them

Esmeralda Carmona December 6, 2012 at 2:50 am

I was so disappointed when I realized there was only 48 episodes! I was so hooked and it was even saddening when I tried to look for more episodes and there was no new ones!PLEASE BRING THE SHOW BACK!!!!! It was one of the few shows I actually liked watching!

wynne-Roberts December 4, 2012 at 6:47 am

It amazes me that Fox is so short sighted–this is probably the most interesting and certainly the best acted series on Tv–shame on Fox

Phoebe McMurray November 25, 2012 at 2:22 pm

This show was great, and I LOVED it, but let’s face it FOX wasn’t making “enough” money off of it. It’s not about what their viewer’s want… It’s about making money. SMH!

Alex Finch November 24, 2012 at 11:18 am

BRING IT BACK FOX YOU IDIOTS YOU DIDN’T LOSE THAT MANY VIEWERS YOU JUST HAVE TO LOOK AROUND ON THE INTERNET AND COMMENTS ON YOUTUBE EVERYONE LOVED THIS PROGRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jana Kiser November 23, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I loved this shoe – The characters were so real and I loved the idea of how Lightman could figure out who was bullshitting him – I actually tried some of the techniques in the show and they work! LOL Bring it back – PLEASE!!!!!

Bob3sportz November 19, 2012 at 9:23 pm

INDEED – BRING IT BACK!!! Getting at the truth is no easy task – the undertow was sophisticated, and Tim Roth is a fantastic ‘in your face’ character. The supporting cast makes the show very real, with believable characters to be found in life, not the plastic ‘cops and robbers’ we now see… Boo to the network for not continuing – I wonder if the advertisers saw a spike in the products – I think this show had an intelligent customer base.