Lie to Me: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Lie to Me canceledSometimes the truth hurts — especially when it comes to television ratings. After three seasons, FOX has cancelled Lie to Me.

Starring Tim Roth, Lie to Me revolves around Cal Lightman and members of The Lightman Group. They’re a team of specialists who help law enforcement agencies uncover the truth by using applied psychology. Others in the cast include Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Monica Raymund, Hayley McFarland, and Mekhi Phifer.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. That was down from season one and the series found itself on the bubble for renewal. FOX ended up giving the TV series another chance and renewed it for 13 episodes.

Unfortunately, season three didn’t perform nearly as well as season two. It premiered last October to a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.86 million. Viewership eroded in subsequent weeks and FOX declined to give the show a full season order. Lie to Me then hit a new series low in January, registering a meager 1.5 rating and 5.43 million viewers.

Should Lie to Me have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its final weeks on the air, viewers seemed to rally behind it and Lie to Me had its best ratings of the season — a 2.5 in the demo and 7.67 million.

Though the ratings had come way down, FOX execs claimed that they still valued the TV series and saw it as a solid utility player. Showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportNow, after three seasons on the air, the series is over. FOX has officially cancelled Lie to Me after 48 episodes. All of the installments have aired. Though there are too few episodes for a traditional syndication package, the first two seasons have already been released on DVD.

What do you think? Should Lie to Me have been renewed for season four?

Hayley April 8, 2013 at 4:17 pm

GUTTED! I watched Season 1 and 2 non stop on Lovefilm then realised Season 3 was being shown on Sky 1 – BUT ONLY 13 episodes and it left us hanging a little…. The least FOX could have done was aired it to the end of the third season and tied up a few loose ends – no respect for the viewers that have supported the show from the beginning!!!

Brilliant show, never gets boring!

Nana April 7, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Yes it should continue

Jess April 5, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Best show I’ve seen in a while. It just adds to the fact that Cal is hilarious and super attractive. Please bring it back.

Imran April 5, 2013 at 12:40 pm

The best show on TV has been cancelled and no sight for season 4, I cant believe they did this to a fantastic show.

Cal Lightman April 3, 2013 at 10:48 am

this sucks!

how dare they cancel this awesome show, you know what should of been cancelled

instead?

the simpsons or the big bang theory, those shows are garbage and dont deserve

a pulse.

Lie To Me was awesome and I love Tim Roth he’s so hot cool and awesome!

but I dont know maybe the audiences got tired of Eli and Rea constant whining

throughout the show, they’re always like “oh boo hoo we have to work with

Cal, he’s so mean to the criminals (SO WHAT IF HES MEAN TO THE CRIMINALS

THEY’RE BAD REMEMBER?) and we dont enjoy it, like suck it up Eli and Rea,

what are you eight years old, always complaining about how “mean” he is he is just

great at his job, at least he works while Eli and Rea do nothing, just stand around

and watch him “read” criminals in the interoggation room, they’re such a bunch

of whiners, and I was watching the second season on dvd, and couldnt even finish

it, had to watch “Family Guy” on dvd instead, cause I couldnt take their whining

and hate for Cal!

Cal is the reason I bought it, and wont take kindly to their bad words!

they’re the douchebags, not him!

fuck Eli and Rea, most boring characters ever!

Amanda byrne March 26, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Lie to me is brilliant I am such a fan .it should have not got cancelled I have got all my friends to watch it and not one negative thing about it please please do season 4 of lie to me tim Roth and Kellie Williams are brilliant please bring the show back devastated

Juan M Munoz III March 24, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Started Watching the show over a year ago because of a friends suggestion and fell in love with it immediately. Absolutely love the idea of facial reading the psychology behind it all super cool. I really really hope they are working on bringing it back awesome show. Please please bring it back the final season was getting so good!!!! Please please!!!!

Jonas FBH March 20, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Why has it always to be about money? This is so unfair to all the lovers of this series. It would be so awesome, if they would continue the show!!

shannon woods March 21, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Hello there this is Shannon,

It would be so great if the Lie To Me show was brought back even tho it has been a few years but I believe that this show would do very well now and I think it might even be more popular even tho it has been off the air for a few years.

Shannon Woods

william March 16, 2013 at 10:48 am

its a great show, bring it back

Amber March 14, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Please bring back Lie To Me!! Our family loves that show!! The cast is amazing and its such an amazing storyline!!!! Please bring LIE To ME back!!!

Shannom March 13, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Tuned in on Netflixs and was hooked. Have just finished season 3 and started researching the release of season 4…..CANCELED….are you kidding me. I love the fresh approach brought to the screen by the entire Lightman team. If anything at least you could have brought closure to the show. The cast and viewers deserve at least that. Can’t Cal and Jill love happily ever after. This show deserves a season 4. Please
bring back Lie To Me!!!

Ally March 11, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Lie to me was one of my all time favorite shows. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!

Patrish March 11, 2013 at 9:40 am

Just came across Season 1 and 2 of “Lie to Me” at the library and couldn’t stop watching still I’d seen both season. I cannot believe this was cancelled–one of the truly best shows ever! What a shame.

Kristie McAdoo March 1, 2013 at 11:59 am

I am very upset they canceled this show! I just had surgery and have been on bed rest. I watched all 48 episodes on Netflix and was really looking forward to more. I am seriously disappointed there isn’t more. Awesome show! Even my kids watched it with me so that’s saying something! Cal Lightman rocks and I really wanted to see him with Foster, especially after he finally professed his love for her to his daughter, Emily..

penny February 23, 2013 at 11:25 am

awesome show..They needed to recapture the momentum of season one. Tim Roth is the best!!. Loved the real life comparisons.