Lie to Me: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Lie to Me canceledSometimes the truth hurts — especially when it comes to television ratings. After three seasons, FOX has cancelled Lie to Me.

Starring Tim Roth, Lie to Me revolves around Cal Lightman and members of The Lightman Group. They’re a team of specialists who help law enforcement agencies uncover the truth by using applied psychology. Others in the cast include Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Monica Raymund, Hayley McFarland, and Mekhi Phifer.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. That was down from season one and the series found itself on the bubble for renewal. FOX ended up giving the TV series another chance and renewed it for 13 episodes.

Unfortunately, season three didn’t perform nearly as well as season two. It premiered last October to a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.86 million. Viewership eroded in subsequent weeks and FOX declined to give the show a full season order. Lie to Me then hit a new series low in January, registering a meager 1.5 rating and 5.43 million viewers.

Should Lie to Me have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its final weeks on the air, viewers seemed to rally behind it and Lie to Me had its best ratings of the season — a 2.5 in the demo and 7.67 million.

Though the ratings had come way down, FOX execs claimed that they still valued the TV series and saw it as a solid utility player. Showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportNow, after three seasons on the air, the series is over. FOX has officially cancelled Lie to Me after 48 episodes. All of the installments have aired. Though there are too few episodes for a traditional syndication package, the first two seasons have already been released on DVD.

What do you think? Should Lie to Me have been renewed for season four?

Linda Ross May 12, 2013 at 4:56 am

Concerning the cancelled show Lie to me…bring it back!!! I’d follow Tim Roth to hell and back in my night shirt ( a quote from Mary Queen of Scots). Smart script, great acting…bring it back!

Janelle Neumann May 12, 2013 at 4:32 am

Very good show, quick witty and informative, addictive

Shawn o May 11, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I don’t get hooked on very many tv shows but this one was a rare gem. ALL tv executives are interested in is the ratings. It’s no longer the good quality and values that deteine a shows success ! It’s all about that all mighty dollar. It doesn’t matter what network it is on, if its a good show its days are numbered by the dollar. BUT if its a really stupid show full of sex, drugs, ignorance and disfunction , it actually has a chance. I wish fox would just sell the rights to the show and let another network have it and bring it back. I’ll be the first one to turn the channel to watch it. Lie to me was the best dramatized reality show I ever saw AND was educational at the same time. Unlike cops, which I really enjoy also but for different reasons. HEY FOX, sell the rights to another network so we can have a real show to watch because you guys dropped the ball and we want it back!

Plien May 11, 2013 at 4:05 pm

From the Netherlands: BRING IT BACK!! It is one of the best ever!!

Jane May 4, 2013 at 2:54 am

Come on!! I love this show. Please bring it back!!! Please !!!!! Please!!!!

Siya May 3, 2013 at 11:47 am

This is was my favorite show EVER! It’s what I want to do when I grow up!!
Please please please bring it back!

samantha April 30, 2013 at 5:21 pm

i love love the show i learn so much from it i was so sorry that they canceled it. i hope even that now is 2013 i wish they can renewed.

DocBob April 28, 2013 at 1:50 pm

It was one of my favorite show. Watched most episodes twice on Netflix. Love to see it back.

sdem April 27, 2013 at 3:22 am

we want lie to me back!!!!! we just love it!!!!

Jesse April 23, 2013 at 10:07 am

I hav not met a single person who has watched the show and did not love it.
As many people know very well, FOX has a bit of a history with ruining great shows by placing them in bad time slots and making bad calls when ordering episodes.
Ever heard of Firefly, which has a very large following, but was cancelled and is not being renewed after all the begging from millions.

Stephanie April 21, 2013 at 7:15 pm

This is an awesom show. Started watching this show on Netflix and can’t believe that it was cancelled. Please bring this show back

Kathleen April 14, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Please bring this show back, we miss it.

Dragonfly April 13, 2013 at 2:57 pm

love the show and wish it could be brought back. All the characters are great, great acting, clever writing, maybe it just needed a different time slot?

P Schrader April 13, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Yes it is the best show. Did take getting use to because one catches on along with the casts. But a super show! A very worthy program should be brought back. Everyone I e introduced to it absolutely Loves it!

lynn April 11, 2013 at 1:14 am

Love the show plz bring it back!!!! It’s the best show I have seen in a very long Ti
time!!!!!!