Lie to Me: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Lie to Me canceledSometimes the truth hurts — especially when it comes to television ratings. After three seasons, FOX has cancelled Lie to Me.

Starring Tim Roth, Lie to Me revolves around Cal Lightman and members of The Lightman Group. They’re a team of specialists who help law enforcement agencies uncover the truth by using applied psychology. Others in the cast include Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Monica Raymund, Hayley McFarland, and Mekhi Phifer.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. That was down from season one and the series found itself on the bubble for renewal. FOX ended up giving the TV series another chance and renewed it for 13 episodes.

Unfortunately, season three didn’t perform nearly as well as season two. It premiered last October to a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.86 million. Viewership eroded in subsequent weeks and FOX declined to give the show a full season order. Lie to Me then hit a new series low in January, registering a meager 1.5 rating and 5.43 million viewers.

Should Lie to Me have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its final weeks on the air, viewers seemed to rally behind it and Lie to Me had its best ratings of the season — a 2.5 in the demo and 7.67 million.

Though the ratings had come way down, FOX execs claimed that they still valued the TV series and saw it as a solid utility player. Showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportNow, after three seasons on the air, the series is over. FOX has officially cancelled Lie to Me after 48 episodes. All of the installments have aired. Though there are too few episodes for a traditional syndication package, the first two seasons have already been released on DVD.

What do you think? Should Lie to Me have been renewed for season four?

Michaela July 15, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I’m so extremely disappointed that it got canceled. I’m absolutely in love with this show and would do anything to bring it back. I’m 15 years old and my mom had heard about it but had never seen it, so we decided to start watching it on Netflix, now it’s one of our favorite shows. Please please please bring it back. I’d be VERY grateful.

mark July 13, 2013 at 9:06 pm

wyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Nick July 12, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I really think that this show should be put back on fox or another tv channel, because it is really amazing,I love it and it is definitely one of my favourite!!!!!!!!!!!

Maureen July 6, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Our teen children introduced my husband and me to “Lie to Me” this summer on Netflix. We absolutely loved this show and watched it every possible opportunity . Now I read they discontinued it. We are truly disappointed. I agree with an earlier post when they mentioned that Fox Television should not have canceled a program in the middle of a plot.

Eric July 5, 2013 at 11:33 pm

This is an amazing show!!! I came across it on Netflix and I had no idea that this show was on the air but this show is amazing! It needs to be put back on!

Umair Hasnain July 12, 2013 at 12:09 am

I found it awsome.loved all three seasons. Got addicted to the DVDs and watched all episodes within 15 days. It was a huge dissappointment that it had discontinued. Went to MENTALIST then but I still love LIE TO ME more

Bethany July 1, 2013 at 1:03 pm

My psychology teacher introduced me to this show. I finished watching the series on Netflix and I’m disappointed that there isn’t a another series. This show is one of the best shows I’ve seen and is definitely my favorite. I thought the acting was great and the storyline was fantastic. I find it amazing that the show received such low ratings when it’s clearly an interesting and unique show. Bring back Lie To Me!

Anonymous June 30, 2013 at 3:43 am

I don’t even watch TV, I’m studying to be a pharmacy tech and my teacher showed this to us once in class to look at body language and this show had had me hooked ever since, it’s on point the cast is great really had me addicted one of the best shows I’ve seen thus see must come back with season four, simply amazing.

Anonymous June 22, 2013 at 3:12 am

I think the show hit on places the government didn’t want people to see. Although the actuality of people reading others in this way, not probable. It gave people like me reason to believe that the world has always been impure, imperfect, and some what challenges those who try to pull wool over our eyes. We have always been a society of what you see and what you hear, and I for one have always thought this world, and most of the people running it are FULL OF SHIT!!!

Julia Brisbane June 21, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Just recently discovered this show on Netflix and it is awesome. I am truly fascinated that this is based on proven scientific methods used by social, behavioral and applied psychologists. It has had such an impact that I have researched more about the science on the Internet. Dr Paul Erkmen has training courses and also Humintell.com Please reconsider this series again.

lynn June 18, 2013 at 10:43 am

When a series ends,it shouldn’t leave an audiance wondering about the characters they spent,3 seasons building up! It should create season 4. Also if writers in general can spin multiple different versions of Law& Order, or never ending seasons of Charmed:where you could almost predict the end of each episode, then I think they can come up w/another season of “Lie to Me” which would be more successful than those series I just mentioned. This show carries a unique science angle, sharp-witted mood & sophistication.

Foster lightman June 12, 2013 at 7:27 pm

This show has to come back I really need to see foster and cal together

RC Marcus June 4, 2013 at 2:44 am

I’ve been binge-watching the entire first 2 seasons, almost at the 3rd. This show is a winner and really should be brought back, perhaps on USA, FX, or TNT. Fans will welcome it back for sure and new fans from NetFlix like me will spread the word. Bring it back!!!!!

Rick show should have been May 29, 2013 at 10:17 pm

This was a fantastic show that kept you involved throughout. It should not have been cancelled. The show should have been given a different time slot or a different day.

Anonymous May 22, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I loved this show. They should bring it back it was different from another show out there

anna May 13, 2013 at 4:54 pm

It’s better to show ‘Millonaire Matchmaker’ than something bringing rare knowledge to audience. What a shame!!!