Lie to Me: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Lie to Me canceledSometimes the truth hurts — especially when it comes to television ratings. After three seasons, FOX has cancelled Lie to Me.

Starring Tim Roth, Lie to Me revolves around Cal Lightman and members of The Lightman Group. They’re a team of specialists who help law enforcement agencies uncover the truth by using applied psychology. Others in the cast include Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Monica Raymund, Hayley McFarland, and Mekhi Phifer.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. That was down from season one and the series found itself on the bubble for renewal. FOX ended up giving the TV series another chance and renewed it for 13 episodes.

Unfortunately, season three didn’t perform nearly as well as season two. It premiered last October to a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.86 million. Viewership eroded in subsequent weeks and FOX declined to give the show a full season order. Lie to Me then hit a new series low in January, registering a meager 1.5 rating and 5.43 million viewers.

Should Lie to Me have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its final weeks on the air, viewers seemed to rally behind it and Lie to Me had its best ratings of the season — a 2.5 in the demo and 7.67 million.

Though the ratings had come way down, FOX execs claimed that they still valued the TV series and saw it as a solid utility player. Showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportNow, after three seasons on the air, the series is over. FOX has officially cancelled Lie to Me after 48 episodes. All of the installments have aired. Though there are too few episodes for a traditional syndication package, the first two seasons have already been released on DVD.

What do you think? Should Lie to Me have been renewed for season four?

Ric October 16, 2013 at 9:20 am

This is one of the best shows ever. I had NEVER heard of it and I recently found it on netflix, watched all three seasons and now find that the series was cancelled. Go figure… Crap like the Simpsons runs for an eternity and an intelligent, well written, well acted, well directed and well filmed show lie this gets cancelled in only 2.5 seasons???????

Maybe Netflix should buy and produce future seasons

Ren October 15, 2013 at 1:31 am

WHAT this is my favorite show ever !!!!
who rates thease TV shows any way
anger!!

DTM October 11, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Fox has completely the drop the ball cancelling this show. I am literally right now watching old episodes on Netflix. What a disappointment there is no Season 4 56 7 8……

avish tilloo October 9, 2013 at 4:26 pm

this the best TV show I’ve seen. Awesome I think it should continue

Gregg October 9, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I dont believe the show was given proper promotion.. Our household found it just this past year by surfing our channel through Netflix. Well developed script..great chemistry with the cast..Great story lines..I have watched all the series twice now..Ill watch them again..Bring it back!!

Anonymous September 21, 2013 at 6:19 am

It is not the show. It the time slot when people can watch a really go show

bonnie hugunin September 20, 2013 at 10:28 pm

love the show.you can’t end the show like you did.come on

Jody September 18, 2013 at 10:45 pm

No do not cancel the show!! I love this show!!

Tre September 14, 2013 at 12:32 pm

This show is sooooo good. Please bring it back!!! I didn’t know about the show until recently I found it on Netflix. I became addicted right away. Now I am so upset that this show was canceled. I want Season 4! Please!

Bluemoon September 6, 2013 at 7:15 pm

This show was my favourite since it first came out. I have never missed a show. Now it’s on Netflix I saw all of them again. I don’t understand why it was cancelled it was a great show. And with 94% who says to bring it back then it should be aired again!! Please bring the show back on again.

Pamela Melissa September 6, 2013 at 1:06 am

This is one of the few shows where you actually LEARN SOMETHING meaninfull in life.
Please bring it back!
Bring it back!
Bring it back!
I’m tired of Homer and want Dr. Lightman back !
Repeat after me… Bring It Back!

Richard September 1, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Just found the series on Netflix and am thoroughly enjoying it. The writing and acting are superb. It is a great disappointment that this series was cancelled and so much garbage remains on TV. What a stupid waste.

ray August 28, 2013 at 12:53 am

Just watched them all on netflix and totally gutted its just ended. Wtf! I cant believe didnt get to see Cal and Foster get together. :(

Sally August 16, 2013 at 5:56 am

I just found this on Netflix and I am so upset that there will only be 3 seasons to watch. I just saw a poll that asked if it should be cancelled and 94% said it should not have been. So what would it take to get it back? The characters were so believable and the story lines were captivating. Please bring them back. Please.

Ryan August 14, 2013 at 10:07 am

Considering that I didn’t even hear about the show until I found it on Netflix I would have to say that part of the low viewers and low ratings definitely had to do with lack of advertisement & marketing. The main character and the show itself were also comparable to House M.D. at the time it was running. With the end of House had this show stuck around for a year or two longer they would have picked up a lot of viewers from the House crowd. I’ve no doubt of this since I loved watching House and I loved watching Lie to Me as well. They pulled the plug too soon on this one to see the real profits.