Lie to Me: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Lie to Me canceledSometimes the truth hurts — especially when it comes to television ratings. After three seasons, FOX has cancelled Lie to Me.

Starring Tim Roth, Lie to Me revolves around Cal Lightman and members of The Lightman Group. They’re a team of specialists who help law enforcement agencies uncover the truth by using applied psychology. Others in the cast include Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Monica Raymund, Hayley McFarland, and Mekhi Phifer.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. That was down from season one and the series found itself on the bubble for renewal. FOX ended up giving the TV series another chance and renewed it for 13 episodes.

Unfortunately, season three didn’t perform nearly as well as season two. It premiered last October to a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.86 million. Viewership eroded in subsequent weeks and FOX declined to give the show a full season order. Lie to Me then hit a new series low in January, registering a meager 1.5 rating and 5.43 million viewers.

Should Lie to Me have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its final weeks on the air, viewers seemed to rally behind it and Lie to Me had its best ratings of the season — a 2.5 in the demo and 7.67 million.

Though the ratings had come way down, FOX execs claimed that they still valued the TV series and saw it as a solid utility player. Showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportNow, after three seasons on the air, the series is over. FOX has officially cancelled Lie to Me after 48 episodes. All of the installments have aired. Though there are too few episodes for a traditional syndication package, the first two seasons have already been released on DVD.

What do you think? Should Lie to Me have been renewed for season four?

sasha December 7, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Definitely! Excellent characters with excellent portrayals. Bring back please.

MJ November 28, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I still hope on a season 4… the best serie ive seen in years!!
best actor also!

From the netherlands i say, plz make a 4th season!!!

Phil Groves November 24, 2013 at 1:56 pm

If there is any justice with or without ratings, Lie to me is and was one of the best series to be shown in the last few years and when the word gets out and people have finished watching series 3, they like me are wondering why such a good show, boardering on the great was cancelled.
It will be another one of those shows that unfortunately was never given the right time slot .
If there is any justice for a good show to make a come back before it is too late, this one is top of my list

Darlene November 24, 2013 at 1:52 am

Same for me. Stumbled onto it on Netflix, instantly hooked and couldn’t stop till I had watched all 3 seasons. It was a total shock that there is no season 4 ! Change the day and time and Promote this show! Never heard of it, so it was not well advertised! Come on! It was the best show on t.v.! All my friends and family agree! We would love to see this show come back!!!!

mike November 17, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Please make more seasons been hooked ever since i started watching

squirrel November 16, 2013 at 7:23 pm

This show is brilliant! I laughed. I cried. I sat trying to read faces to figure out what happens next. All around a great show. Now that it is over, all I want to do is find a way to get it back on the air! That was a great cliff hanger at the end of season 3 and I’m sure everyone can agree with me when I say I want to know what happens between Cal and Jillian! When that episode ended I was excited that they had finally brought up Jillian to Cal. I was then instantly saddened when I found there was no following episode. This is a show that must come back on. I must know what happens next!

Donna November 10, 2013 at 6:12 pm

One of the best TV dramas I’ve seen. I’ve been watching it on Netflix and wish it hadn’t been cancelled. PLEASE bring it back!!!

Rose November 10, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I agree with the fans that said that sometimes a show doesn’t do well because it isn’t promoted right. The time of the day it was on may have been to blame, or a whole bunch of other little details. The fans of the show are solid. We love it and will do anything to see it come back on. Please, PLEASE bring “Lie To Me” back!!

Anonymous November 9, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Please! Bring this show back! It’s by far the greatest series I have seen close to the walking dead and breaking bad. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS! #lightmangroup #yesimcrazy lol

Anonymous November 4, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I was just looking for a good series to watch and came across this one. I thought it was one of the best I have ever seen and to my surprise it has been canceled:( The worst part was that it left me hanging on for more!!! I understand ratings but sometimes it has to do with promotion and day of the week!!! I have to admit, before Netflix, I had never heard of this series before so it makes me wonder how well it was promoted. Totally a sad ending for an amazing show!

Malcolm November 4, 2013 at 2:02 am

I found this show by accident while scrolling looking for anything to watch so i thought why not? The first episode had me hooked straight away Tim roth is an amazing actor who plays the little big man to perfection (and damned if there isn’t some fine looking ladies), the story lines of each episode are always different well thought out and very realistic, I HIGHLY recommend this show to anyone who has time on their hands i guarantee it wont disappoint….I was highly surprised this got cancelled when any one reading this knows full well the dearth of rubbish there is on Telly nowadays, i say BRING IT BACK!!

KD October 28, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Excellent show… acting, informative, educational…. one would hope FOX would give it another chance, more advertising and best spot on night TV. Bring it back!!

Shannon October 27, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I had never heard of this show either… Until my husband found it on Netflix. We LOVED this show (especially Tim Roth). We watched all 3 seasons in a row!!! Why this show did not have enough ratings, I’m guessing, is more the fault of FOX marketing and not the captivating cast and story lines! I would totally love to see a season 4… Only starring the same actors of course.

Tim October 25, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Hey,
It would just be nice to resolve some issues that were left hanging. Not very respectful to those of us who watched it. How about a movie to polish off a very interesting series?
T

arlette October 16, 2013 at 4:37 pm

We too had never heard of the show before, found it by surfing on netflix, got instantly hooked, and binge-watched 3 seasons in a row – well, 2.5 that is – only to just find out that that’s where it ends. No way! This is a great show, mega informative, a learning experience, totally entertaining, all based on the truth, with lovable characters and great acting. Today I even went to work dressed like Torres. Make a season 4, and end this madness!