Lie to Me: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Lie to Me canceledSometimes the truth hurts — especially when it comes to television ratings. After three seasons, FOX has cancelled Lie to Me.

Starring Tim Roth, Lie to Me revolves around Cal Lightman and members of The Lightman Group. They’re a team of specialists who help law enforcement agencies uncover the truth by using applied psychology. Others in the cast include Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Monica Raymund, Hayley McFarland, and Mekhi Phifer.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. That was down from season one and the series found itself on the bubble for renewal. FOX ended up giving the TV series another chance and renewed it for 13 episodes.

Unfortunately, season three didn’t perform nearly as well as season two. It premiered last October to a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.86 million. Viewership eroded in subsequent weeks and FOX declined to give the show a full season order. Lie to Me then hit a new series low in January, registering a meager 1.5 rating and 5.43 million viewers.

Should Lie to Me have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its final weeks on the air, viewers seemed to rally behind it and Lie to Me had its best ratings of the season — a 2.5 in the demo and 7.67 million.

Though the ratings had come way down, FOX execs claimed that they still valued the TV series and saw it as a solid utility player. Showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportNow, after three seasons on the air, the series is over. FOX has officially cancelled Lie to Me after 48 episodes. All of the installments have aired. Though there are too few episodes for a traditional syndication package, the first two seasons have already been released on DVD.

What do you think? Should Lie to Me have been renewed for season four?

Mr. Rachev February 4, 2014 at 10:18 am

I discovered this show with the beginning of 2014. Shame on me. Cause it took me just ONE month to watch all 3 seasons. And I powered on my PC search engine asking about season 4. And sadly discovered it was cancelled ??? Why ? Low ratings compared to all that “soap opera” trash ? IT IS BRILLIANT and so genuine in the main IDEA, directing and actors play. You know – I discovered the real Tim Roth right here !! That is why it is so DIFFERENT to competition. If you ask for my opinion, I’d vote thousand times “yes” for S4 ! There is so much more to see in development of pure human relations, which door was left SO WIDE open by the series crue in E13 . So much potential in Cal last words to his daughter’s asking “What are you waiting for?” – I STILL DO NOT HAVE THAT ANSWER… O.K. give is that so much desired answer dear FOX !

Eilish February 2, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Lie to me was my favorite show for so many years I was so sad when they cancelled it they need to bring it back it was different to other crime shows on tv, which made it worth watching and who didn’t love light mans attitude he was awesome bring it back

Malynda January 30, 2014 at 2:39 pm

I started watching lie to me on Netflix. I am so mad that they canceled this great show! Maybe another network can pick this up, maybe the new network will show it off a lot more and more people will watch it! I know I will!

Cindy January 29, 2014 at 3:58 am

Lie to me,is a great show but I just found out about it. Honestly who watches Fox for entertainment? I watch it for news. I don’t recall any adds for it on Hannity or any of the other news cast. Maybe Fox Entertainment is differint than the news but if I had a great show like Lie to me ,I would advertise on all the networks! Think of the money you lost in syndication.

Trudy January 27, 2014 at 1:52 pm

it’s really sad that they only made three seasons. I still hope fox reconsidering making more seasons. I honelsty have to say that “lie to me” is one of the best show made. And its sad if they dont continue making it.

Beeny January 26, 2014 at 5:42 pm

What a waste!! This series was unique and brilliant done.

Heather January 25, 2014 at 8:22 pm

I was upset with how Lie to me ended. I wish they hadn’t cancelled the series :(

Anonymous January 23, 2014 at 9:43 am

more episodes

Ana January 20, 2014 at 5:11 am

I really hope they are going to make more shows as this one, or to renew this show – as this is the first one which has some attached personal development to it. It is not an ordinary serial – that’s what I liked about it.
All the team has done a great job.
Hope to see you soon.

Nyla December 31, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I simply loved this show. I am disappointed that FOX left me hanging like this. I have resorted to re-watching the episodes from the first 3 seasons on Netflix. This show should be brought back. It was quality and definitely better than all of the reality show garbage and other mindless entertainment out there.

Karie December 29, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Found this show on netflix- like the others I hadn’t heard of it on cable television. My whole family watched it as well as all my inlaws. It would
Be awesome to see a fourth season. Better advertising would have helped.

Poor choice on foxes behalf

shurtle December 26, 2013 at 4:00 am

I really liked this show. It did need a little something more, but what I don’t know. I can see how viewers could drop off the way they did. There didn’t seem to be enough in depth relationship with any of the characters except for Cal and his daughter. Nothing really developed between anyone to make you want to see the show. You watched for Cal’s ability to decipher peoples micro expressions, which in the third season he changed his personality a little to somehow make him more cool, or something. The writers weren’t up to the task of developing this person with this ability. He needed a muse maybe, to help keep him on track. Instead they kept putting different females into his life. Just my opinion anyway. Tim could have pulled it off, if they just gave him someone, or something to make him strive to be altruistic with his ability. Say, an incredible love, dedication to an intact family, or deep faith he struggled with.

christopher clarke December 11, 2013 at 10:15 pm

We need a season 4 of lie to me its an amazing show and personaly i want to see more

Niena December 8, 2013 at 8:40 pm

“Lie To Me” was a great show and they deserved more ratings then they did and i agree with sasha, reality shows that are aired today are truly awful, and full of dumb blonds…

sasha December 7, 2013 at 3:51 pm

We desperately need shows like this. This so called reality tv debacle makes me weep for our nation.