Lie to Me: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Lie to Me canceledSometimes the truth hurts — especially when it comes to television ratings. After three seasons, FOX has cancelled Lie to Me.

Starring Tim Roth, Lie to Me revolves around Cal Lightman and members of The Lightman Group. They’re a team of specialists who help law enforcement agencies uncover the truth by using applied psychology. Others in the cast include Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Monica Raymund, Hayley McFarland, and Mekhi Phifer.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. That was down from season one and the series found itself on the bubble for renewal. FOX ended up giving the TV series another chance and renewed it for 13 episodes.

Unfortunately, season three didn’t perform nearly as well as season two. It premiered last October to a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.86 million. Viewership eroded in subsequent weeks and FOX declined to give the show a full season order. Lie to Me then hit a new series low in January, registering a meager 1.5 rating and 5.43 million viewers.

Should Lie to Me have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its final weeks on the air, viewers seemed to rally behind it and Lie to Me had its best ratings of the season — a 2.5 in the demo and 7.67 million.

Though the ratings had come way down, FOX execs claimed that they still valued the TV series and saw it as a solid utility player. Showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportNow, after three seasons on the air, the series is over. FOX has officially cancelled Lie to Me after 48 episodes. All of the installments have aired. Though there are too few episodes for a traditional syndication package, the first two seasons have already been released on DVD.

What do you think? Should Lie to Me have been renewed for season four?

Wenice Ooi Chien Wen March 15, 2014 at 10:22 am

I really LOVE this show so much !!! I watched all the three seasons almost 10 times, and it’s terribly sad when this show canceled on 11 May, it’s my birthday !! I found that many Asians love this show too. Please !!! Bring it Back !!! From Malaysia.

Simona from Lithuania March 6, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I have watched this show 3 times already! Please, make some new series NOW !! or I need to watched the 4th time! I loved it!

Helder March 6, 2014 at 2:24 pm

This is one of the best Tv series i`ve ever seen, its a very intelligent and clever show.
I don´t understand, there are tv series that doesn´t have as much content or quality and stay on and on, others that are intelligent and funny people don´t watch and are removed.
I think that this is a big mistake that fox is doing by cancelling the series.
Helder, Lisbon, Portugal

DELANA March 4, 2014 at 9:06 pm

don’t watch much tv BC of my schedule.I can sit & watch Netflix ANYTIME. BC of Netflix, I was introduced to “Lie to Me!”. I absolutely LOVE this show! there needs to be a comeback of the “Lightman Group.” awesome show!!!!!! PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!

Ira March 3, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I have seen all three seasons and bought all DVD’s.
We in Germany love the show! Finally an educational, funny and cool show! Thumbs up for Tim Roth, the “Honeybunny” of the show. Pleeeeeeeease put it back on!!!!
Ira from Cologne, Germany

Angelo March 1, 2014 at 11:40 pm

” Lie to me ” is addiction pure. Fox is out of they’re mind to cancel a serie this close to real life psychology studies. Keep this show running please !!!

Tina February 27, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I was just introduced to this show on Netflix. It is fantastic and I’m very sad it ended. I would love to see Fox bring it back. Or float it at TNT. They love these kinds of shows and they do well there. I dont care, jsut bring it back. I’m jonesing for more Lightman.

Sam February 24, 2014 at 11:29 am

Got hooked onto the show and boom! The shows cancelled?? Why does this happen all the time?? Especially when it’s this good!

Michel February 22, 2014 at 4:47 pm

This is really sad. This the best psychology tv series that I ever watch.

Andrew C February 21, 2014 at 5:03 am

This show is my favorite science related drama of all time. I’m 27 years old and I will donate where necessary to see kal light man back on the air!!

Pippa Forbes-Stuart February 15, 2014 at 7:04 pm

FOX is mad not to continue! This is intelligent, captivating and thrilling viewing! It is head and shoulders above so much of the rubbish on TV!! WE NEED MORE!!! Enough said!

Ella February 14, 2014 at 8:22 pm

I’ve watched all three seasons on two separate occasions I wish it would have continued.

Marzia February 14, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I also think that Lie to me should be back…I am a psychology student…and it was great to have a show that I related to…plss, plss bring it back…
thanks

Alexandre Daumerie February 7, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I was also introduced to Lie To Me by Netflix. I want it back!!!!! No more to say…
Have I been clear enough? FOX, what’s wrong with you????? What does the FOX say?????

cecilio February 6, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Was introduced to the show by Netflix. Got hook after a few episodes. Was ready for season 4 once I finished on Netflix. To my surprised canceled. Great show. Makes me think if they would bring it back like they did family guy. Or even have it do a comeback online thru Netflix or Hulu or even online with Fox.