Lie to Me: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Lie to Me canceledSometimes the truth hurts — especially when it comes to television ratings. After three seasons, FOX has cancelled Lie to Me.

Starring Tim Roth, Lie to Me revolves around Cal Lightman and members of The Lightman Group. They’re a team of specialists who help law enforcement agencies uncover the truth by using applied psychology. Others in the cast include Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Monica Raymund, Hayley McFarland, and Mekhi Phifer.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. That was down from season one and the series found itself on the bubble for renewal. FOX ended up giving the TV series another chance and renewed it for 13 episodes.

Unfortunately, season three didn’t perform nearly as well as season two. It premiered last October to a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.86 million. Viewership eroded in subsequent weeks and FOX declined to give the show a full season order. Lie to Me then hit a new series low in January, registering a meager 1.5 rating and 5.43 million viewers.

Should Lie to Me have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its final weeks on the air, viewers seemed to rally behind it and Lie to Me had its best ratings of the season — a 2.5 in the demo and 7.67 million.

Though the ratings had come way down, FOX execs claimed that they still valued the TV series and saw it as a solid utility player. Showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportNow, after three seasons on the air, the series is over. FOX has officially cancelled Lie to Me after 48 episodes. All of the installments have aired. Though there are too few episodes for a traditional syndication package, the first two seasons have already been released on DVD.

What do you think? Should Lie to Me have been renewed for season four?

Halyna August 23, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Just watched all three seasons by borrowing DVDs from my library. I enjoyed it immensely. Original, well-acted. Last episode left me hanging — will Cal finally approach Gillian to be more than a friend? I am disappointed that I didn’t have more episodes to watch.

Anonymous August 23, 2014 at 12:53 am

Wish that it wasn’t cancelled!!!

Helen August 23, 2014 at 9:49 am

Please peeps – don’t leave messages such as the scriber of this one , explaining the essence of the series. I, for one, am totally up to speed and know what the plot, story line, characters, etc., are all about. Let’s not waste valuable time and space here defining the series; irrespective of how sorely it is missed.

In other words, only post comments of value – many thanks!

Dominic August 21, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Well I am a new viewer to lie to me I have watched all three seasons in a week it is an amazing show and they should’ve definitely been a season four! What they should have done is not canceled the show but wait a while and then let out season four because all of the old viewers may have given that show a second chance and in the ratings would have went sky high!

Helen August 22, 2014 at 2:39 am

I agree with Dominic – perhaps they should have waited a bit before cancelling the show, but continued filming it and again, waiting a while before releasing it whilst they focused on improving their marketing and promotion of the series.

Fox failed the series, not the viewers, because Fox failed to market the series properly. It had a real winner with this series, but totally messed up. Now we, the viewers, have to pay the price of it being cancelled early due to their incompetence.

Benny August 19, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Please for the sake of mankind I need a season four I have watched 1-3 over a million times and can’t get tired am begging y’all to release a fourth season

suz August 19, 2014 at 3:58 am

in love with this show..can’t believe they cancelled it. it would be purely amazing if they all of a sudden brought back Lie to Me asap even though they discontinued it a few years back. bad decision on FOX…they lost many viewers because of the cancellation of this brilliant show.

thank the Lord for Netflix August 17, 2014 at 11:54 pm

I love this show. Never should have been canceled

Erica August 17, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Bring it back! Bring it back!!! It was one of the few great shows around!! Bring it back. Pleeeeease

skeet August 14, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I think the show is great the reason I only new about was Netflix. Fox’s need to to promote there show better. Look at the Simpson’s it’s been on forever due to very good promotions.. Bring back Lie to Me and promote it better.

Machaiah August 13, 2014 at 11:31 pm

I loved watching this show, I started watching it on Netflix this summer and was torn once I found out that it ended, this show is so inspiring for myself. Defiantly in my top three favorite shows, I would defiantly tune in every week if this show ever back on television. I spent the whole summer watching this show while working on my classes.

Forrest August 12, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Fuck no they shouldn’t of canceled it..so many in answers questions.cant just stop it like that…bring it back!!!

Dawn Higgins August 10, 2014 at 1:29 am

Very disappointed Lie to me was cancelled.

Holly Anna August 9, 2014 at 8:36 pm

PLEASE bring it back, I loved learning how to read body language!

A.S. August 9, 2014 at 1:10 am

Loved, loved, loved the show! Very upset that it was canceled!

Lisa A Höglund August 8, 2014 at 7:32 am

Please give med a seaseon 4. And 5. And 6.
I miss my favorite show!!! :(

MJ August 6, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Truly heartbroken I am. #1 Netflix show was cancelled by fox in 2011/2012. What a bloody pity that is.