Lie to Me: TV Show Renewed for Season Three by FOX

Lie to Me renewed season threeDespite tough odds, FOX has decided to renew Lie to Me for a third season of 13 episodes.

In Lie to Me, Tim Roth stars as Dr. Cal Lightman, a specialist trained to ferret out those who aren’t telling the truth. He and his team of experts help law officials solve their most difficult cases. The cast also includes Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Mekhi Phifer, and Monica Raymund.

Debuting as a mid-season replacement in January 2009, Lie to Me started off with a 4.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 12.37 million viewers. Ratings soon fell quite a bit but the network still renewed the show for a second season.

Season two began in September 2009 and the numbers were a bit better than they had been at the end of season one, but not by much. Late last year, Lie to Me hit a new low with a 2.2 rating and 6.64 million viewers. Soonafter, the series was put on extended hiatus.

Are you glad that Lie to Me has been renewed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Lie to Me is scheduled to return on June 7th, after the May sweeps period has completed. That’s not a sign of much faith from the network. The TV show’s chances looked even more bleak when it was announced that the head writer, The Unit’s Shawn Ryan, was stepping down as showrunner to focus on his own projects.

Well, despite the odds being stacked against it, Lie to Me will survive to see another season. The show’s being renewed for year three with 13 episodes. We’ll find out when the TV show’s new season will start airing on Monday, May 17th — when the network holds their upfront presentation for advertisers.

In a related note, Ryan’s RideAlong pilot has been ordered to series and will debut next season. It follows a rogue cowboy lawman and the city’s first female police chief as they try to clean up Chicago.

What do you think? Are you glad that Lie to Me will be back for season three? Are you surprised that it survived?

Glenna Lynch June 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm

This is the one show I set my clock by. It’s one of the most fascinating shows on TV. I love the character development, Cal Lightman is complex; full of every human emotion and foible out there. He is one of the best characters ever created.

Rachel June 21, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I was so angry when I thought it was canceled I nearly tossed out my TV. Lie to Me is the best show I have seen in years. I am beyond happy to see that it will stay!! FOX gets a stay of execution for now but I would really like to see better billing for this series. Hopefully with the success of Glee more traffic will pass by the too few Lie to Me signs FOX has lit and more will take notice.

Paul June 20, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I am so glad that Fox renewed Lie To Me. Well written, intelligent dialog, a fantastic group of seasoned actors makes Lie To Me the best show on t.v. I appreciate watching a show that is stimulating, not just just something to watch to “turn your brain off” for an hour. Tim Roth, Kelli Williams, Brendon Hines, Monica Raymund, Mehki Phifer, Haley MacFarland, all a very talented group. Thanks to the actors for a great show, thanks to Fox for keeping it on for another season!

Annie Seltzer June 19, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I think it’s great programming. Tim Roth is one of my favorite actors, dating back from his stellar performance in Rob Roy.

Smart shows always deserve another chance, but how often it’s the stupid ones that get continual air time.

Heather June 16, 2010 at 6:50 pm

So glad to hear there will be a 3rd season. I love this show!

Kathie June 16, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Great show. Don’t seem to be able to get it in Ottawa.

Jess June 14, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I am so glad that this show is back on it is one of the best shows I have watched, I believe it is even better then House or Bones two of my other faviort show I am pleased that it is back on.

dre June 7, 2010 at 10:45 pm

This show is one of the best shows on television to date.. smart, excellent writing and flawless acting. . would be smart to keep this show!

Rebecca June 2, 2010 at 9:32 am

YES!!!! ABSOLUTELY!!! Happy that it’s returning, this is a really great show.

Vickie May 19, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I love this show and am so glad it got renewed!!

Donna May 14, 2010 at 11:40 am

Keep It on. LOVE THE SHOW. Ratinmg will come back great show. Love it..Love it………….

Rahul K May 13, 2010 at 1:00 am

Really coool show……
Glad its back…………

Kevin Jackson May 12, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Great… I love this show!!!!

Jeremy Rynek May 12, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Fox simpily realized it was in their best interest period. It would piss people off, (as if they hadn’t already pissed people off). Im guessing the rating were just good enough for them. But who knows? Smart choice Fox. If you could just start making them on a regular basis.

kidder1969 May 12, 2010 at 2:48 pm

DEFINITELY super happy Lie To Me is returning! Great show! YES…YES…YES….