Life: Damian Lewis Series Cancelled, No Season Three

LifeWhile today’s NBC infront presentation brought good news for fans of struggling shows like Heroes and Parks and Recreation. Those who enjoy Life weren’t so lucky.

Life revolves around detective Charlie Crews (Damian Lewis), a man who served a dozen years for murders that he didn’t commit. He lost all that was dear to him but survives thanks to his studies of Zen philosophy. He eventually rejoins the LAPD but is a very different man. Others in the cast include Sarah Shahi, Adam Arkin, Brent Sexton, Donal Logue, Brooke Langton, Robin Weigert, Jennifer Siebel, Victor Rivers, and Jessy Schram.

The NBC drama debuted in September 2007 to 10.15 million viewers and a 4.1/11 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. Later episodes sank to a low of 5.72 million and a 2/6. If not for the writers strike, NBC would have cancelled Life after one year. The execs instead decided to give it another try and renewed the series for a second season.

Unfortunately, the next round of episodes didn’t perform any better than the first. NBC needs fewer shows next season because of their Jay Leno experiment but, even if they didn’t, Life wouldn’t be coming back with such poor ratings.

NBC’s co-chair, Ben Silverman, made it official today and confirmed that Life won’t be coming back next season. Thankfully, the last episode of the series gave viewers some closure and answers to ongoing questions. These days, that’s a luxury that few other shows are given.

Canceled and renewed TV show

367 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Seth G says

This was the a stunning display of directing, cinamatography and acting. I just hope this show is forgotten and that the millions who watch cop dramas DO NOT over look such a well rounded master piece NBC has really dropped the ball on this as well as studio 60. I haved recommended Life to many friends and getting them hooked by the first disc on the wonderful DVD. Please know that this show will be missed and not forgotten by me at least.

2. Andy says

When life is ended, there is death. Those who cancel life, are then murderers. NBC executives cancelled Life. They, then, are murderers. It’s Zen. Or is it?

3. Paul says

I watched Life when it was on and now have the series on DVD. I can’t believe this series got such low ratings that it got cancelled. Damian Lewis is brilliant as Charlie Cruz and Sarah Shahi is phenomenal as his dysfunctional recovering alcoholic partner. I really think NBC should have given it one more season at least. Truly unfortunate that the viewers of today can’t recognize an awesome show like this. Then again when the majority of your viewers are so easily entertained by crap like the Office what would one expect?

4. Garry R. Jones says

I liked “LIFE”and recently got both seasons on DVD. Crews and Reese are a good team, and I wonder if anyone thinks there is a feature-length movie somewhere in Crews’ set-up.

5. Clinton says

Really makes a person think how the rating system is calculated and whether “they” actually get it right when THE WHOLE WORLD enjoys Life sooooo much.

6. Lorelle says

I know this is late in the day – but in Australia I have only just realised that there is no season 3 for Life! I’m stunned!! We get so much crappy tv from the US here – but this was one of it’s true gems!! Any wonder I generally stick to the ABC and SBS – this decision to discontinue with Life shows why I don’t generally bother with the programming decisions of commercial TV.
    Huge accolades for Damian Lewis and Sarah Shahih – and all ther rest of the immediate cast – I thought you were wonderful! I was a police officer for 18 years, and a crime scene examiner for 8 years. I was covert and undercover for 7 years. Whilst tv can’t make it real – I thought the script and the philosophies were so close to the bone with what actually goes on it was palpable.
    Thanks for the 2 series – commiserations for not being brave enough for more!
    Lorelle xx

7. rosalyn says

you all suck big time 4 cutting “LIFE” off.. Such an awesome tv series and you people dont know the difference.. I know several other tv series that should’ve been cancelled but not “LIFE” all you people need a course on how to keep people watching ur network, for starters keep the tv series that people actually like on!! No wonder people dont watch ur stupid network cos you dont know a damn thing about wat people like to watch..

8. Anonymous says

Why do all the great shows get cancelld, first it was dirty, sexy, money now life.those writers should make up their minds

9. Bern says

Everyone in my family which is a lot aunts uncle consins nephews niecs adult kids ect… love this program. We were so shocked it got cancelled. Even my friends at work got hooked. MMMMMMMMMMM You really should reconsider.

10. Di says

OMG – how pee’d off am I. What a fantastic show, what twit at NBC decided to axe this great show? RECONSIDER, bring it back… PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Ally says

Life” was a fantastic show. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Cannot believe it was cancelled after 2 seasons. So much rubbish on television and a decent show is taken off!
    Give it another go PLEASE!