Life: Damian Lewis Series Cancelled, No Season Three

LifeWhile today’s NBC infront presentation brought good news for fans of struggling shows like Heroes and Parks and Recreation. Those who enjoy Life weren’t so lucky.

Life revolves around detective Charlie Crews (Damian Lewis), a man who served a dozen years for murders that he didn’t commit. He lost all that was dear to him but survives thanks to his studies of Zen philosophy. He eventually rejoins the LAPD but is a very different man. Others in the cast include Sarah Shahi, Adam Arkin, Brent Sexton, Donal Logue, Brooke Langton, Robin Weigert, Jennifer Siebel, Victor Rivers, and Jessy Schram.

The NBC drama debuted in September 2007 to 10.15 million viewers and a 4.1/11 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. Later episodes sank to a low of 5.72 million and a 2/6. If not for the writers strike, NBC would have cancelled Life after one year. The execs instead decided to give it another try and renewed the series for a second season.

Unfortunately, the next round of episodes didn’t perform any better than the first. NBC needs fewer shows next season because of their Jay Leno experiment but, even if they didn’t, Life wouldn’t be coming back with such poor ratings.

NBC’s co-chair, Ben Silverman, made it official today and confirmed that Life won’t be coming back next season. Thankfully, the last episode of the series gave viewers some closure and answers to ongoing questions. These days, that’s a luxury that few other shows are given.

KOT March 4, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Poor raitings?! Kidding?! On of the best! 8.3 IMDb! Why?! Why?! We need 3-d and 4-th and many more seasons of “Life”!

Carolina February 26, 2012 at 8:01 am

So disappointed that there’s no season 3. This is one of the best cop shows ever! I live in Scotland and downloaded season 1 on apple tv and got completely hooked. Downloaded season 2 3 days later and am SO sad that there’s no season 3. I think this show appeals more to an international audience. I can’t imagine why it got poor ratings in America. Maybe not enough blood and action-too much Zen?

Leon February 16, 2012 at 12:32 pm

PLEASE Bring it back!

Deon January 26, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Bring back life . We need Season 3. Please NBC, Make it happen.

Jasen January 21, 2012 at 7:09 pm

what a srew up to just up and cancle a so like that it gave out good messages ie: hurting one is hurting all hurting all is hurting me so why would i want to hurt myself………… some of the things in the show changed my life in a good way i think you should make a third season and if you didnt make a third season because of the ratings maybe you should have advertised more

Paul October 14, 2011 at 2:56 am

BRING IT BACK, ITS AS GOOD AS DEXTER AND THAT’S ON SEASON 6

jaypalms September 20, 2011 at 4:10 pm

just wanted to say i agree with who ever said life is one of the best if not the best police/crime tv shows, crushes law n order n csi is just sooo duulll too bad there’s no season 3. what a shame

Daniel August 11, 2011 at 10:58 am

life was a great season;why just cut it like that ?Give us a third season people love it ,i do

Gavin June 15, 2011 at 8:14 am

I saw this two years after it closed. Great show. Pity there were not more episodes but it was a good finale. Don’t get attached. That’s Life.

Catherine June 3, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Lets see …hmmm… Jay Leno and no Life season 3, Life season 3 gets axed and Jay Leno stays?? What ratings?? Mindless over stimulating entertainment. Who is running things anyway??

Penny Smith June 2, 2011 at 2:46 am

My husband and I were given the first series of Life and as we came to the end of the DVDs, rushed out and bought the second series. It’s such a fantastic show – I can’t believe it was axed after only two series – it is absolutely brilliant TV!! We are gutted that there is no season 3.

John Kantek May 22, 2011 at 5:05 am

I have just finsihed watching the 1st season of Life and I think it is one of the best crime /police shows i have seen in a long ,long time , great story lines and great actors with a great support cast and I could not wait to watch each program on the DVD, night after night . Picked it up cheap at the shop.
Now I’m looking forward to watch season 2of this show(life). so a season 3would be great .
the show was not shown on Australian TV at all .which is a shame.

Udo May 15, 2011 at 3:18 am

I think it is terrible the the season not be continue.
The CSI Serie is bad and deadly dull. I wish the Lif to be continue!!!

Mark March 30, 2011 at 11:23 am

Ich kann es nicht glauben das es keine dritte Staffel dieser Superserie gibt. Schade. Hauptsache von CSI gibt es tausende. Schade die Serie ist mal aus all dem gleichen Müll herraus gestochen.

just March 22, 2011 at 3:09 pm

It’s just sad, I was really shocked to hear there was no season 3! I can’t imagine why, really. Life is a great show with a wonderful cast!!

Anonymous August 12, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Life’s my favorite show…. Really, really wish they could’ve brought it back for another season. Seems like all the good shows get dumped, and the crappy cliche ones continue… I realize that this article is like two years old, but I just watched both seasons, and Life was amazing. Kudos to Damian Lewis and Sarah Shahi, and the brilliant cast. Love ya guys.