Life: Damian Lewis Series Cancelled, No Season Three

LifeWhile today’s NBC infront presentation brought good news for fans of struggling shows like Heroes and Parks and Recreation. Those who enjoy Life weren’t so lucky.

Life revolves around detective Charlie Crews (Damian Lewis), a man who served a dozen years for murders that he didn’t commit. He lost all that was dear to him but survives thanks to his studies of Zen philosophy. He eventually rejoins the LAPD but is a very different man. Others in the cast include Sarah Shahi, Adam Arkin, Brent Sexton, Donal Logue, Brooke Langton, Robin Weigert, Jennifer Siebel, Victor Rivers, and Jessy Schram.

The NBC drama debuted in September 2007 to 10.15 million viewers and a 4.1/11 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. Later episodes sank to a low of 5.72 million and a 2/6. If not for the writers strike, NBC would have cancelled Life after one year. The execs instead decided to give it another try and renewed the series for a second season.

Unfortunately, the next round of episodes didn’t perform any better than the first. NBC needs fewer shows next season because of their Jay Leno experiment but, even if they didn’t, Life wouldn’t be coming back with such poor ratings.

NBC’s co-chair, Ben Silverman, made it official today and confirmed that Life won’t be coming back next season. Thankfully, the last episode of the series gave viewers some closure and answers to ongoing questions. These days, that’s a luxury that few other shows are given.

Grasgal December 18, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I just watched Season 1 and 2 of Life and found every episode a wonderful mixture of psychology, humor, police science, detailed character development, and creative plots. I’m really bummed to find out there is no more Charlie Cruz. What a fascinating character… Not since Monk have I come across such a complex, intriguing t.v. character.

Tim December 18, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I really enjoyed this show. I vote for a season 3 and more. There didn’t seem to be enough promotion about the show and I stumbled across it by accident but became a fan very quickly.

Deanios December 9, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Life was and is a cracking show loved everything about it, such a shame NBC only think about the US viewers, i really hope one of the UK sides pick up on what is a brilliant show, to many of the better shows get the axe to soon, another loss to the viewers was the Chigago Code and Lie to me still has at least another 2 series in them. UK tv is all reality bobbings and soaps, thank the lord for satalite. any petition to get series 3 on air can add my name.

chris boyle December 8, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Bummer!!! Just watched series 1&2 on sky tv, now discovered no more series to follow. More of shows like this, less structured reality junk, pleeeeze.

rik arnold December 4, 2012 at 10:55 am

have just watched series 1 & 2 in the uk, and am really disappointed there no series 3 :( theres no closure!!! we never found out why he was framed and whatnot, may have to start a petition to NBC for a 3rd series…..

Gail December 3, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I only discovered ‘Life’ recently. It hasn’t had enough promotion – there are so many channels now, it’s difficult to find good shows and they are often shown at weird times. I loved Charlie Crews and the team. As others have commented on here, a really clever mixture of humour and crime thriller. Very disappointed that there isn’t to be a third series. I hope NBC will reconsider. It’s a shame that quantity often overrides quality these days.

lynne webster December 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm

soooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed np third series of life I agree with all other posts the best crime show on earth

Robert November 29, 2012 at 5:21 am

I have discovered “Life” accidentally. Watched 1 episode then another and soon I got myself DVD with all two seasons. Being a translator, I work on two-three monitors at same time. Not to go insane with the decumentation I work on – there is always a small window with a movie running. In this way I have seen all CSI, House, Lie to me (killed as Life) and many other series – and now Life. I think we witness the cruel face of corporation executive decissions. They only look at the Excel sheets and decisions are made based on the numbers presented in there. I hope that one day there would some vissionaire there who would say: Yes, this show is may be not bringing large numbers in audience, but other research tell us that it seems to be satisfying needs of more demanding audience. We still have very profitable shows that earn us money to create more sophisticated shows”. Unfortunately I have seen noone of such abilities. This is a problem on a country level. In Poland – some good show are supported by state owned institutions and ministry of culture. In USA it is impossible – culture is welded to money and business. Maybe TV should be ruled by regular movie principles – when producer gets money – shows goes. If You looks at the shows on TV – when they are judged only accrding to audience numbers – sooner or later there is less and less fuel in script writers heads and final and last seasons are usually silly and boring. Look what happened to House – he cured lots of diseases but he was unable to cure the desease named “audience in Excel”. When ideas were exploited – show lost audience and was killed. This marriage of “culture” and money is dangerous.

Mags McGrath November 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

I have been looking out for the next series of ‘Life’ with Damian Lewis ever since the second series finished. It was the best show I have ever seen – please bring it back. So many people want a third series.

Jerry October 5, 2012 at 1:08 am

I too agree with many of the previous responses. Life is the best crime show I have ever seen. It has the gritty good cop bad cop, the suspenseful plot twists, and rarest of all it has actual humor! That is the most important part, it is comparable to a the age old “sweet’n salty” combination that is always amazing. I am sad to see this show die… Crews makes all those other wannabe detectives look like two bit has beens.

audrey September 5, 2012 at 11:00 pm

What you’ve done with NOT starting season 3 should be a crime! It’s the one show which myself and the rest of my family enjoyed. Its suspenseful, entertaining, enjoyable, fun, full of action and just KEEPS you tuned in. I don’t give two shits about the Jay Leno thing……you should of NEVER of stopped LIFE! This show is MUCH better than any other crime show out there. Better than CSI (any series), better than Law and Order, better than Criminal Minds, better than NCIS BETTER than ANY OTHER SHOW OUT THERE!!!!!

Lisa September 2, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Same with me, I discovered “Life” on Netflix. Watched both seasons thinking it was still on TV and that I was now all caught up for season 3 whenever it starts. Then I came to NBC website to find IT’S NOT COMING BACK…. SAD!!!”

I wish there was a way to bring it back. NBC does kind of suck in so many ways, this is just one more.

Gary August 22, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Whoever made the decision to cancel Life should have lost their job immediately. This was an excellent show. I get sick and tired of these “so-called” network exec’s who have no clue of a good show when they have it. Thankfully my daughter found a copy of the first two seasons on dvd so we will watch them over and over again. Love both Lewis and Sarah. I think the comparison to Monk is an insult. Monk was ok but nothing compared to Life. On a small scale I see the House thing but they drove that one into the ground and House became an obnoxious jerk all the time which is not what Charlie Crews was at all.

ck1 July 17, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I’m done watching network shows. Leave the good shows to the cable networks where they stand a better chance of actually getting a full life. I’m sick of being jerked around by the networks. Stick to singing competitions and talk shows if that’s what you want but I’m tired of the bullshit.

cns July 5, 2012 at 5:08 pm

The people that cacelled Life should get life.. .in a cell with Roman.. ……