Life: Damian Lewis Series Cancelled, No Season Three

LifeWhile today’s NBC infront presentation brought good news for fans of struggling shows like Heroes and Parks and Recreation. Those who enjoy Life weren’t so lucky.

Life revolves around detective Charlie Crews (Damian Lewis), a man who served a dozen years for murders that he didn’t commit. He lost all that was dear to him but survives thanks to his studies of Zen philosophy. He eventually rejoins the LAPD but is a very different man. Others in the cast include Sarah Shahi, Adam Arkin, Brent Sexton, Donal Logue, Brooke Langton, Robin Weigert, Jennifer Siebel, Victor Rivers, and Jessy Schram.

The NBC drama debuted in September 2007 to 10.15 million viewers and a 4.1/11 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. Later episodes sank to a low of 5.72 million and a 2/6. If not for the writers strike, NBC would have cancelled Life after one year. The execs instead decided to give it another try and renewed the series for a second season.

Unfortunately, the next round of episodes didn’t perform any better than the first. NBC needs fewer shows next season because of their Jay Leno experiment but, even if they didn’t, Life wouldn’t be coming back with such poor ratings.

NBC’s co-chair, Ben Silverman, made it official today and confirmed that Life won’t be coming back next season. Thankfully, the last episode of the series gave viewers some closure and answers to ongoing questions. These days, that’s a luxury that few other shows are given.

ah naw May 9, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Watching this now! Must have been too early for it’s audience. I have loved EVERY episode and think it is one of the best shows I’ve ever watched. I, like Pug Pete, was not even aware of the show! Would love more shows like this. Always looking for the overlooked obscure shows that are now on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu.

Agata Frątczak March 2, 2014 at 7:20 am

noooooooooooooooooooooo:( please bring it back !

Shirley November 12, 2013 at 1:05 am

I have just finished Life on Netflix and have loved every episode so much I have to force myself to stop watching and go to bed at night. I really do not see how this could be cancelled. Maybe Netflix could pick it up and make it one if their shows like Oranfe is the new black is their. Would love to see more Life!!!!!

T. C. Knieff September 15, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I am totally enthralled with “Life”. It was one of the greatest creations since Perry Mason. I don’t understand WHO the idiots are that decide what shows to kill. The shows that should go are the idiotic reality shows with brainless players. No wonder so many people are heading to other means of entertainment like Netflix.

James and Yevette September 3, 2013 at 10:02 am

We love the show and its characters. It was before it time in 2007-2009. Now we have caught up and wish it would go on. The only quality shows are on a cable because they will take a chance and not be moved by rating. The last show we loved was The Closer also passed up by network TV but thankfully not cable. The show Life grows on you, the dual story lines are great. Life will have a loyal fan base because you love it or hate it. Can we bring back quality TV and get rid of reality TV. The reality is we rarely see any good on TV these days because that was quality TV not reality.

Sara kirkman May 19, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Oh man, I’m so addicted to this show. Of course, every series I fall in love with it gets cancelled. I cannot explain exatcly what Damian Lewis does to me but it is magical. he is phenominal. I actually have thoroughly enjoyed all of the characters, the story line, the mysteries behind each murder. Excellent writing, acting, characters, excellent scripts. Oh man I would love to see this come back. Thank you Damian Lewis for igniting some things inside of me I haven’t felt in a long time.

Katie April 20, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Watching on netflix-PLEASE do another season. So hard to find good writing without being “trashy”. We love it!!

Anonymous June 26, 2013 at 5:57 pm

It was made back in 2009, if they had a 3rd season there would be one by now

Sashay March 20, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I wished the show was still on because it was really good show please put it back on

Della February 25, 2013 at 8:58 am

I’ve been watching this on streampix and I love it. I didn’t know about it when it was airing or maybe was just too busy to watch it??

I agree with everyone – it is such an intelligent, clever, positive show. We need more like it!!

Erin February 2, 2013 at 1:49 am

I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE “Life” & think the rating tool need to be revisited or find a different way to poll the audience. Too many shows with creative plots, clean/creative humor, great actors, & great cinematography get cancelled for some sit-com about a strong woman & a simple man. This was about a strong man and a strong woman! People with brains!
Please, bring shows like this back!!!

Linda Stewart January 19, 2013 at 3:17 am

LIFE was a great TV show. It made me sick when it was canceled. Too many good shows get canceled and stupid shows take their place. There are less and less intelligent shows taking their place. The Vampire Diaries, Syfy shows are for 20 year olds. People a little older like a show with a good plot, good acting – some meat to it.

nilbog March 11, 2013 at 3:44 pm

LIFE was a great show. But you shouldn’t criticize Vampire Diaries without watching it first. The pilot was awful but by season 2 it was one of the most compelling shows on TV. It has a good plot, good acting – some meat to it. You are probably one of those people that hated Buffy just because you judged it by it’s silly title and ended up missing out on one of the best shows ever.

haggis January 13, 2013 at 1:44 am

Real shame they killed off the series Life. First up, two great lead actors and the interplay between them in the series was entertaining and more importantly the characters were BELIEVABLE. That combined with interesting plots as well as an underlying theme that actually exercised your brain cells made this a first rate show.

Sadly tastes change and it seems that all the masses want these days is ‘mashed potato’ TV. Endless puerile shows about teenage superhero singing vampire wannabe’s with zero depth that audiences can just let wash over them without having to think or even believe in the actors (if you can call them that!). So long Life…

Michele January 6, 2013 at 12:30 am

This show needs to come back on I think it would have a lot of hits u guys just stopped airing it! I would love to see it come back on tv!! The story needs go end we need to find out who set him up

dis mayed January 3, 2013 at 2:15 am

How many smart TV shows will continue to be killed? Jay Leno was the contender? That guy is NOT funny. Americans must be really stupid. But I guess ratings rather than writing quality guide what shows win out in the end. Just when I was beginning to see the overarching theme emerge like a rich, character driven novel, the plug is pulled. Why am I still disappointed? This happens all the time.

Pug Pete December 20, 2012 at 9:33 am

Another quality show needlessly killed. I put it down to the promotion, as in there wasnt any. I found the show completely by accident like most others. I honestly believe if people were aware of the show, the ratings would have been much higher. At least Psych is still going strong. Just about the last show i bother with.