Lights Out: FX TV Series Cancelled, No Season Two

Lights Out canceledIt’s “lights out” for FX’s new boxing drama series. FX has cancelled Lights Out after one season due to poor ratings.

Lights Out revolves around Patrick ‘Lights’ Leary (Holt McCallany), an aging former heavyweight boxing champion. He struggles to find his identity and support his wife and three daughters after retiring from the ring. The poor economy and a series of bad investments leave Patrick at a perilous crossroads; battling the urge to return to boxing or reluctantly accepting a job as a brutal and intimidating debt collector. The show also features Catherine McCormack, Pablo Schreiber, and Stacy Keach.

Though some critics applauded the series, not many people watched the premiere in January. It registered just a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 1.487 million viewers. The second episode dropped to a 0.4 rating and 0.92 million viewers. The season has averaged a 0.4 in the demo and 0.88 million.

To no surprise, FX isn’t ordering a second season of Lights Out. The cable channel made the announcement today and indicated that the final two episodes will air as previously scheduled; on March 29th and April 5th at 10pm.

What do you think? Are you sorry to see Lights Out cancelled? Why do you think it didn’t catch on?

Victoria March 5, 2012 at 9:25 am

I also was looking for when the next season was starting and now find out it is cancelled. This truly does suck and I never even got to see the last two episodes! I would like to know if there is a way to catch it? Holt McCallany was awesome in this role and I hope they bring him back in another show at least. Big Mistake cancelling this series! Big Mistake!

Steve March 3, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Terrible decision FX. This show had a following that would have just got larger and larger each season. Very good show with a great storyline. This was one of the few shows that my wife and I watched together. Total crap!

Lacy February 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Lights out was such a great show. I’m so disappointed. Terrible move fx. I really wanted to know what was going happen next.

Jeff February 20, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Horrible decision from FX. Show had a following, and FX blew it. Seinfeld got a 2nd shot, and look what happened there! Well is going down hill, the biggest shows have ended, The Shield, Rescue Me and now Lights Out. Well off to Spike!

Nick February 16, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Leave it to fox to remove a great show.

Carole February 16, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I really liked this series. I was also searching to find a return schedule only to be disappointed that it’s cancelled. I agree-another good series gone too soon.

Lacey Lawson February 10, 2012 at 11:18 pm

This is such bullshit! This was one of the best shows yet of 2011! Maybe FX should have advertised it a lot more!!!! Boooooooooo

Nina February 2, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Another great show bites the dust, but all the stations keep the reality junk shows on! Unbelieveable.

Anonymous February 7, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Ain’t that the truth, that reality crap still keeps on goin. Go figure…

Josh January 30, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Went looking for the season two date. Boom! Cancelled! Didn’t know till today. I liked this show and thought it was doing good. My wife even got into it by the end of the season.

Delores January 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I really tink that FX should give Light-Out another chance. I just love the show .It’s justicfeable smile

Josh January 23, 2012 at 7:52 am

was searching for the start of season 2 to find out the show has been cancelled! I’m really disappointed as this is one of just a couple of shows that I really looked forward to on a weekly basis.

Josh Nadolny January 18, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I was wondering when this show would come back. It’s too bad it didn’t catch on, but when it comes to the general public’s taste in television we shouldn’t be surprised. At least FX has a great lineup, but every other channel is just one reality show suck fest after another.

Ruth January 18, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Loved it! 1 of the few shows both my husband and I could watch together! Only found out it was cancelled when looking for the start date of season 2 since my dvr wasn’t recording it!
I agree with above comments – found the story inspiring in the setting of the “current economic situation”!

Patty January 16, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Great show, do not kwow why it’s not on for one more season,or more, im late and sorry, did a bit of boxing in my young days, loved this show!

nicki baker January 15, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I am shocked to learn that Lights Out has been cancelled. I, as well as so many people I know, loved this show. I will truly miss it and wonder about the accuracy of the ratings.
If low, perhaps people did not know it was airing. I think FX should truly consider continuing this series and promoting it so that viewers know to watch it.

Bob January 15, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I agree, I kept waiting for season two. It was one of the few shows I really enjoyed. I just think not enough people watched it even once or they would have been hooked. This sucks!!!