Lights Out: FX TV Series Cancelled, No Season Two

Lights Out canceledIt’s “lights out” for FX’s new boxing drama series. FX has cancelled Lights Out after one season due to poor ratings.

Lights Out revolves around Patrick ‘Lights’ Leary (Holt McCallany), an aging former heavyweight boxing champion. He struggles to find his identity and support his wife and three daughters after retiring from the ring. The poor economy and a series of bad investments leave Patrick at a perilous crossroads; battling the urge to return to boxing or reluctantly accepting a job as a brutal and intimidating debt collector. The show also features Catherine McCormack, Pablo Schreiber, and Stacy Keach.

Though some critics applauded the series, not many people watched the premiere in January. It registered just a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 1.487 million viewers. The second episode dropped to a 0.4 rating and 0.92 million viewers. The season has averaged a 0.4 in the demo and 0.88 million.

To no surprise, FX isn’t ordering a second season of Lights Out. The cable channel made the announcement today and indicated that the final two episodes will air as previously scheduled; on March 29th and April 5th at 10pm.

What do you think? Are you sorry to see Lights Out cancelled? Why do you think it didn’t catch on?

Karl May 27, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Lights out debuted at a time when prime-time television had taken a backseat to online media. The cast has a few recognizable stars but mainly consists of fresh faces and that’s a good thing because no cast members fame and/or ego detracts from the plot. This show is awesome. The first episode is amazing and unfortunately I’ve read that most people missed it when it aired. I came upon the show when I started watching Netflix instead of TV. As far as I’m concerned, scheduled TV broadcasting is as radio broadcasting was in the late 50′s – people have moved on to internet entertainment on demand where no one has to tune in on time to catch the buzz, but, can watch programs on their schedule. I suggest watching the first season at your leisure, watch all the episodes in order, and then ask yourself if this show wasn’t good enough for a second season, or, if no one was watching when it needed ratings. TV producers are neurotic and misunderstand the difference between the lack of interest in specific programs and lack of interest in scheduled programming as a a whole. Endpoint being that this show deserves a season two especially when the ratings system considers American Idol to be a model of a successful show.

Ed May 21, 2012 at 11:29 pm

This was a great show I was wondering what happened to it. I guess with every one good show gets canceled 3 crappy shows takes its place. I also agree I hope another station picks up lights out.

Dan May 20, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Well it figures w/ the season finale ending like it did. I really enjoyed the show. Also another disappointment was the canx of Memphis Beat; another really good series. I watch Madmen and I like it, but true as some one mentioned it has no direction and substance. Lately I have gotten bored w/ it. Waiting for the final seasons of Breaking Bad and The Closer. Just plugging 3 other good shows…Justified, The Mentalist, & PERSON OF INTEREST… WOW!!! Enough said.

gina May 19, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Figures…another frickin show I really enjoy is cancelled!!!!! Right up ther with Rubicon Awake The Finder……let’s put some more mindless reality bullshit out there or better yet cancel Madmen and The Killing cause I’m sure some idiot can comeup with something with no substance to replace them.

David May 5, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I agree with Dawn, Debbie, and EVERYONE here. Great acting; great production; Great script writing…… what do you do if you’re a jerk at one of the networks????…… Cancel the show!!! But we expect a lot more from the indie channels like FX which is why most of us watch them. What a shame. Is there any way that another SMARTER channel host can pick this show up? We are all fed up to here with Jersey Shore and Dopey Housewives of “Everywhere”, why not some quality drama? Sopranos; The Wire; Boardwalk Empire; too few and far between!!! You guys had one and totally dropped the ball before it caught on.

John Zasada May 4, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I thought is was great and was looking forward to the next season.

Michael April 11, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Really!!! This was by far one of the best shows on television.

Monica March 25, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Really disapointed :( Please bring LIGHTS OUT back.

romon March 25, 2012 at 9:36 pm

it is really frustrating to know that such a great series is getting cancelled. Bring it back please….

Howardg March 23, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Great gritty, gusty show. Love fx shows but very disappointed at this cancelation! A lot of fx shows take time to get an audience, should given more time!

dawn March 22, 2012 at 5:21 am

This is unreal, You cancell a great show & they keep Jersey SHore on… COME ON NOWWWWWWWWWW. here’s a clue how about putting this show on at a decent time oooo lets say 8 or 9 some of us do still work & cant afford to stay up untill 11.. Maybe thats half your networks problems your always putting your shows on to LATE….

Eric March 21, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I’m with Debbie! My wife and I loved Lights Out and thought it was very well written and acting was superb! There are few good shows on anymore and a lot of junk! We taped this show every week and looked forward to it as we were always left wanting more on every episode! Please bring it back! These guys deserve any shot at the title!
CSI Miami on the other hand has gotten so cheesy and predictable we have given up on it entirely! Love Justified and Archer! Unsupervised….not so much.

Kostas March 21, 2012 at 12:23 am

Really disapointed. Please bring lights out back. It was a greate series. It was better than Roki, more real, more feeling.

gene madec March 12, 2012 at 7:15 pm

really disappointed in fx for not renewing lights out.a great show compared to most of the junk on network tv now.bring the show back fx!take a clue from AMC which has some of the best shows on tv in years.BRING LIGHTS OUT BACK FX!!!

debbie March 6, 2012 at 10:55 pm

i have been waiting and waiting for the new season of Lights Out to start. i just researched today to see when it would start, and i’m totally disappointed in its cancellation. i cant believe it! it was a great show. gritty. kept me waiting week after week for the next episode. im disappointed in you, FX! Bring Lights Out back. i dont think enough people watched enough to really enjoy this series. i’m reminded of how i felt back long ago when my so called life was cancelled.