Lights Out: FX TV Series Cancelled, No Season Two

Lights Out canceledIt’s “lights out” for FX’s new boxing drama series. FX has cancelled Lights Out after one season due to poor ratings.

Lights Out revolves around Patrick ‘Lights’ Leary (Holt McCallany), an aging former heavyweight boxing champion. He struggles to find his identity and support his wife and three daughters after retiring from the ring. The poor economy and a series of bad investments leave Patrick at a perilous crossroads; battling the urge to return to boxing or reluctantly accepting a job as a brutal and intimidating debt collector. The show also features Catherine McCormack, Pablo Schreiber, and Stacy Keach.

Though some critics applauded the series, not many people watched the premiere in January. It registered just a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 1.487 million viewers. The second episode dropped to a 0.4 rating and 0.92 million viewers. The season has averaged a 0.4 in the demo and 0.88 million.

To no surprise, FX isn’t ordering a second season of Lights Out. The cable channel made the announcement today and indicated that the final two episodes will air as previously scheduled; on March 29th and April 5th at 10pm.

What do you think? Are you sorry to see Lights Out cancelled? Why do you think it didn’t catch on?

Canceled and renewed TV show

552 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. glenda kennedy says

ok My husband and i just finished watching Light Out on Netflix didnt know this show even was on tv untill then. However when i google and saw that there is no season two well we both are so disapointed. Wish i knew what happens to everyone on the show. THEY WERE GREAT ACTING ! WISHING GLENDA KENNEDY

2. don & sherry schaeffer says

we loved the show. we think its crappy leaving us hanging like that and not knowing what happened. Its like being sucker punched!

3. JVAH says

My wife and I both loved this show. Great writing. Great acting. Great directing. Big time production values. FX, please bring it back and let us know what has happened to Lights.

4. Jan says

This was a great show…..I loved it!! Went on to see when Season 2 was starting and found this page :o( FX..you have this wrong….think again please!

5. joeblow says

What does Fx know .. I guess the decision makers up at fx have there buts in each others rear . The show was great ! It was definitely better than some of the other terds they show..

6. Omar says

I use to really like this show because it was representing Hudson County NJ thus, me being from Jersey City. In any rate, I also agree with LP that fake reality TV shows are taking over like the Unreal Wives of New Jersey or Mars!!!!!

7. T.D says

Really enjoyed the first season. It was real gritty and had realism to everyone not perfect, but deserving of a second chance. To bad FX did not think so.

8. Edward J. says

What, I was telling people that when this show came back on they needed to watch it, guess there is no room for a quality show .

9. Joyce & Doug says

I am so sad this show is not coming back. I agree with the previous reply . . . Reality junk is taking over!!!

10. LP says

Sad to see it go. What a great show! Just goes to show you…reality junk is taking over quality tv. Tsk..tsk…tsk!