Lincoln Heights: ABC Family TV Series Cancelled, No Season Five

Lincoln HeightsIt looks like the story of the Sutton clan has come to an end. ABC Family has quietly decided to cancel Lincoln Heights after four seasons.

Lincoln Heights tells the story of Officer Eddie Sutton (Russell Hornsby) who moves his family back to his old neighborhood. Other castmembers include Erica Hubbard, Nikki Micheaux, Rhyon Brown, Mishon Ratliff, Robert Adamson, and Michael Reilly Burke.

The TV show debuted on January 8, 2007 and the first season was successful enough to warrant a renewal by March. At that point, it was one of the cable channel’s higher performers in the key demographics.

While announcing that the second season would kick off in September 2007, ABC Family President Paul Lee said, “We really think we have something unique here… The fact that it’s an African American family drama alone separates it from the crowd, but its terrific cast and superb writing also make it truly special and perfect for ABC Family.”

Should Lincoln Heights have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Following season two, it took several months for ABC Family to decide to bring Lincoln Heights back for a third round. They finally did and that kicked off in September 2008. The audience grew and the show became the cable channel’s top performer among Females 12-34 and Female teens. It didn’t take as long to renew the series for year four.

Season four kicked off in September 2009. It ended up being one of the channel’s weaker programs of 2009, being outperformed by other ABC Family shows, including cancelled Kyle XY.

No specific reason was given for the Lincoln Heights cancellation. However, though it’s been favored by some critics, the series has never been a big hit for the cable channel and has only been given 10 episode renewals each season.

What do you think? Are you upset or surprised that the series has been cancelled? Do you think the last episode of Lincoln Heights is a worthwhile series finale?

karen piorkowski September 3, 2013 at 2:20 am

Just watched 4 seasons in 2 days ablouelty love it its a down to early reality life tv

Anonymous August 31, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Please bring Lincoln Heights back. I absolutely loved that show!

Anonymous August 26, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Please bring this back !!!!!!

loyal fan August 25, 2013 at 1:46 am

I must be honest and say I never watched this while it was on TV….. and now I’m wondering how I could possibly have missed such an amazing, moving, relatable program. This is real life for so many and for those who are fortunate to not have to live this life, this show is educating people on the realities of how others have to live. I Love this show and wish that they would bring it back.

Lp August 25, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I just watched the last episode. I can’t believe this show is not still on!

Pabpyt August 24, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Lincoln Heights is a wonderful TV series. This is as true to life as it gets and that’s why so many people watched it. Most of us could relate to this family. What happened to Lund? Did Cassie and Charles ever get married? How is Tay’s career going? How could you just leave us hanging like this? Bring back Lincoln Heights please.

Lorrie August 17, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Just finished a marathon of the 4 seasons of Lincoln Heights on Netflix. I am blown away by what a wonderful show it was and wonder why I didn’t know of it when it actually aired. It was well-written and superbly cast. I felt like I personally got to know the family members and enjoyed watching the characters grow and evolve. I would argue that some of the best shows get buried away on the cable stations and they really have to be promoted in the mainstream to get the word out. More and more GREAT shows are playing on cable stations. I’m looking forward to seeing what many of the cast members are doing now. I will miss the Sutton family!

Rebecca C August 16, 2013 at 4:50 pm

just watched on netflix. wish it wasn’t cancelled. i like to see black families on television in a positive light. well worth watching all four seasons. disappointed there won’t be anymore.

Teddy August 13, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I just recently watch Lincoln Heights on Direct tv and I had to see if netflix had it. Luckily it was on netflix and I had the chance to catch the whole series…. This show had me interested from start to finish as I watched it the whole weekend. I think that it was one of the best tv shows that i have watched and they should have continued the series. If they bring it back, they should have a hit on their hands.

Pauline Beasley August 13, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Wow this is one of the best series I’ve ever seen, so many realistic scenes, and heart felt emotions,ABC did themselves an injustice canceling the series , not only do they give you tragedy ,joy ,scary moments and sad moments, but it also gives you a feeling of hope in a world of so much doubt, Please bring back Lincoln heights we need feel good t.v. And Lincoln Heights Is Feel Good T.V.

Glodean Champion August 11, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Somehow I’m not surprised that Lincoln Heights was cancelled. I just recently started watching it on Netflix and now that I’m in Season 4, Episode 10 I wanted to know if Season 5 was out there some place. It wasn’t. Like I said…I’m not surprised it was cancelled. It is rare to find a show with a predominantly Black cast and see it last more than 4 or 5 seasons. Ever since the end of the Cosby Show, there have been very few non-stereotypical Black shows with a two parent household and a positive message about hope, love, community, and determination. With any luck, another network will see the value in Lincoln Heights and pick it up. If not…oh well, it was good while it lasted.

chris villanueva August 7, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Lincoln needs ateast one more season. A lot is unfished. Charlres and Cassie never got marrierd?

Jessica August 6, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I am very upset to find out that the only did 4 seasons. I recently started watching the seasons on Netflix. How can they just quit??? There is so much to find out! What happens to Kassie and Charles? I can ask so many questions as to what happened? BRING LINCOLN HEIGHTS BACK!!!

Matt August 6, 2013 at 8:51 pm

There really needs to be a fifth season. This is remarkable television show. It’s a very good family show and people can learn from this show.

Stephanie August 6, 2013 at 8:27 am

I was highly upset when I found out Lincoln Heights was going off the air. I thought it was a show for all family but especially African American families. This show reminds me of The Cosby show but in the real world. Parents working hard to keep their children well ground, provding their needs and being supporters of the community. You just don’t get enough shows like this anymore that teach real family value.

Michelene July 31, 2013 at 12:33 am

They really need to bring back lincoln heights even if it has to be in a different Chanel. This show had a message for everyone