Lincoln Heights: ABC Family TV Series Cancelled, No Season Five

Lincoln HeightsIt looks like the story of the Sutton clan has come to an end. ABC Family has quietly decided to cancel Lincoln Heights after four seasons.

Lincoln Heights tells the story of Officer Eddie Sutton (Russell Hornsby) who moves his family back to his old neighborhood. Other castmembers include Erica Hubbard, Nikki Micheaux, Rhyon Brown, Mishon Ratliff, Robert Adamson, and Michael Reilly Burke.

The TV show debuted on January 8, 2007 and the first season was successful enough to warrant a renewal by March. At that point, it was one of the cable channel’s higher performers in the key demographics.

While announcing that the second season would kick off in September 2007, ABC Family President Paul Lee said, “We really think we have something unique here… The fact that it’s an African American family drama alone separates it from the crowd, but its terrific cast and superb writing also make it truly special and perfect for ABC Family.”

Should Lincoln Heights have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Following season two, it took several months for ABC Family to decide to bring Lincoln Heights back for a third round. They finally did and that kicked off in September 2008. The audience grew and the show became the cable channel’s top performer among Females 12-34 and Female teens. It didn’t take as long to renew the series for year four.

Season four kicked off in September 2009. It ended up being one of the channel’s weaker programs of 2009, being outperformed by other ABC Family shows, including cancelled Kyle XY.

No specific reason was given for the Lincoln Heights cancellation. However, though it’s been favored by some critics, the series has never been a big hit for the cable channel and has only been given 10 episode renewals each season.

What do you think? Are you upset or surprised that the series has been cancelled? Do you think the last episode of Lincoln Heights is a worthwhile series finale?

Canceled and renewed TV show

1583 Comments on "Lincoln Heights: ABC Family TV Series Cancelled, No Season Five"

Notify of

Anonymous
Anonymous
August 16, 2010 6:56 am

thats crazy everytime a good show is on they take it off

powerhitter
powerhitter
August 15, 2010 6:55 pm

I am very upset that cable TV would make a decision not to renew a series with critical acclaim such Lincoln Heights. Where is there sense of responsiblty to the total community to which it serves? Where is the business sense? Where is the common sense?

I think the people responsible for making the abovementioned decision should not have their contract renewed.

concerned parent
concerned parent
August 17, 2010 5:58 am
I would have to agree with that; this show depicted what is going now and that is something that White America does not want to see. Of course when the Cosby show was on that depicted several reasons about family not whether a black or white but about “family”. I think ABC network really need to look at what families of middle class want to watch and stop all this teen age sex dramas along with mini series that do not discuss anything of importance. I enjoyed the show very much because it was something that my “family” would watch… Read more »
Derel
Derel
August 15, 2010 1:26 pm

I am a Black Dad of two teenage kids. The Heights was very good to show them both how a middle-class family that’s Black (The Sutton’s) live as well as those kids in the hood. I hate to use race here…but, in most cases, White folks don’t watch drama shows with all Black casts (Cosby and other black sit-coms exceptions)and neither do enough black folks. And, the Black tv cable stations (owned by Viacom and Comcast) won’t fund new episodes.

NAACP and your tv group, where are you on this? MIA?

jasmine
jasmine
August 13, 2010 11:26 pm
i am so tremendously upset to find that my fav show lincoln height was cancelled i watch it for so long i was just saying wat channelis it on because we recently got direct tv so i thought i had the wrong channel but you cuz took it off im so dissapointed in abc . im goin 2 do a strike and not watch abc anymore untill you guys bring em back this is jux like the game cuttin of a well fammous african american family of the air how rude well my strike begins i m watchin degrassi till… Read more »
Sherae
Sherae
August 13, 2010 8:15 am

Seriously, ABC are full of white shows that deal with the same thing of teenagers having sex or what not. Lincoln heights was suspenseful. It was always left you wanting to see the next episode but hey what can we do with our comments. It’s already canceled, so hey….on to the next one. I did love it. It was something my sister and I watched, which help us bond better by having something to talk about.

Anonymous
Anonymous
August 11, 2010 5:50 pm

i am so upset that lincon heights is no more. It was the best show that ABC could have ever created . ABC should bring back Lincoln heights back and show it more not just in september more like they do the secert life of an american teenager and make it or break it

Anonymous
Anonymous
August 13, 2010 4:42 pm

im so upset how they cancelled Lincoln Heights that was the beat show EVER! i loved that show and the cast it has positive messages for children i can’t believe that they cancelled thy alway cancelled the good shows and keep te boring ones on UGH totally upset!!!!! 🙁

Myra
Myra
August 11, 2010 8:26 am
The network could have at least informed the viewers that the show was being cancelled. Lincoln Heights was a great show and gave me and my family something worth while to watch on TV. The quality TV shows that the whole family can watch together has diminished. This show gave families something they can watch together that both parents and children both love. I am devasted that the show was cancelled and hope that they bring it back or that someone else will pick it up. We are losing all our family sitcoms to reality shows and crime investigation shows.… Read more »
Ria
Ria
August 10, 2010 10:46 am

I just found this article today because as I watched Secret Life of the American Teenager last night, I realized Lincoln Heights haven’t had commercials for a new season. I am incredibly upset. I looked forward to watching this show every week. It was aa truly different show than what ABC Family is used to. I say bring it back!!!!

Jared
Jared
August 10, 2010 8:15 am

i just found out it has been cancelled, and i am soo upset. i actually really enjoyed this show and i am honestly shocked. I wish they could bring it back on. Same with Kyle XY i liked that show too. i know shows cant go on forever, but i still was really interested in Lincoln Heights.

Constance Faust
Constance Faust
August 9, 2010 7:02 pm

Lincoln Heights was a really great show. It is so sad that all of the shows that show African Americans in a positive light don’t make it. But we have these really stupid reality shows like “dating in the dark” and “bachelor pad”.

Jozie
Jozie
August 8, 2010 9:59 pm

Lincoln Heights was a show that I looked forward to watching every week. I kept looking for it through the months, but when I didn’t see it I found this page. I was devastated. This show showed how it was where the Sutton’s live. It was kind of a learning experience to some people. It was also just a good show in general. It would be highly appreciated it someone brought it back. It’s only fair to the people who watched and supported it. It’s about time someone thought about the fans.

Jewel
Jewel
August 8, 2010 8:46 pm

i love that show why did it have to end

Anonymous
Anonymous
August 8, 2010 12:53 pm

I want lincoln hieghts to come back on, I love the show. I never missed an episode; I can’t believe they cancelled it. No that was just horrible

Nadia
Nadia
August 7, 2010 10:03 pm

I’m pissed…..I’ve watched that series since it started and they just want to secretly cancel it like what the heck. I really wanted to see what happend with casey and charles the season was getting soooo god. Why the heck would you cancel it. Screw the people who didnt want to watch it what about the people that did want to watch it and did want to see what happened with the family. WHAT THE HECK…..WTF

Sarah Linden
Sarah Linden
August 7, 2010 12:21 pm

BEST SHOW I’VE EVER WATCHED!!!!!! BRING IT BACK PLEEEASSSEE!?!

1 76 77 78 79 80 100