Lipstick Jungle: Is there Still Hope for the Cancelled TV Show?

Lipstick JungleTonight’s episode of Lipstick Jungle is the last episode shot for the NBC series. After a disappointing showing in the ratings, NBC opted not to order any additional episodes, effectively cancelling the TV show. Actress Brooke Shields subsequently proclaimed that the show hadn’t been cancelled and NBC started to backpedal a bit. Now, as we come to the end of the series’ second season, how do things stand?

Based on a best-selling book by Candace Bushnell, Lipstick Jungle follows the lives of three high-powered friends, played by Shields, Kim Raver, and Lindsay Price. The rest of the cast includes performers like Paul Blackthorne, Andrew McCarthy, Robert Buckley, Sarah Hyland, David Norona, Dylan Clark Marshall, Seth Kirschner, Matt Lauria, David Alan Basche, and Marcia DeBonis.

Jungle debuted on February 7, 2008 and attracted just 7.54 million viewers and a 2.9/8 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. The rest of the season averaged fewer than six million viewers each week and, because of the writer’s strike, only seven installments were produced. Despite the weak ratings, NBC execs decided to take a chance and renewed Lipstick for a second season of 13 episodes. If the ratings warranted it, they could always order more.

Unfortunately, absence didn’t make fans’ hearts grow fonder and even fewer people tuned in to watch season two. Airing on Wednesday nights, Jungle averaged just over five million viewers per week.

As a result, the network eventually moved Shields and company to Friday nights, following the even weaker Crusoe. In that 10pm timeslot, the drama attracted a terrible average of just over 3.4 million. It was around this time that the network decided to pass on ordering additional episodes, effectively cancelling the show. With the paltry ratings, that came as no surprise.

Does Jungle still have a chance?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Then, Shields made a public statement saying that the show hadn’t been cancelled and that the cast and crew were still working. Though that was true, her statement made the show’s prospects sound better than they were. Nothing had changed. The cast and crew were just finishing the existing 13 episode order. The writers cleaned out their offices in mid-November.

But, perhaps due to the media attention and viewer support, NBC started to backpedal a bit. The head of the network, Ben Silverman, said that he was actually waiting to see how well the final episodes performed before making up his mind about the show’s future. By all accounts, this is accurate.

This wait-and-see attitude is likely one of the reasons that Lipstick was shifted to the more attractive 9pm hour. Despite an uneven holiday schedule, Jungle’s audience has been steadily growing — climbing from 3.44 million to 4.17 million. That’s pretty decent growth, especially for a show that was essentially dumped onto Friday nights and that airs opposite Ghost Whisperer, a much more popular series that’s aimed at a similar demographic. Unfortunately, 4.17 million still isn’t very many viewers for a network show. If tonight’s ratings are even higher, will they be enough?

Where does Jungle stand? By all accounts, NBC still hasn’t made up its mind about the show’s future. After tonight, they’ll likely compile all the numbers and see if it makes financial sense to order additional episodes. It seems highly unlikely that the ladies will be back but it seems this little show still has some fight left in it. What do you think?

Isabelle November 10, 2010 at 3:54 am

I wish NBC would rethink about bringing back Lipstick Jungle for a thrid season it is a very addictive show which I throughly enjoy I brought both seasons and don’t want it to end I would definitely buy a third forth seaon if it was made great show great acting a must have for your dvd collection.

Mike September 9, 2010 at 11:27 am

My wife has the whole SATC series & I bought her lipstick jungle, which she watches on tv re-runs & then on DVD regularly. She’s very disappointed there’s only 2 series. Hopefully some other network will look into resurrecting the franchise

Kate August 31, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I just started watching the show here in Germany and I got so hooked that I bought the Season 2 DVD to watch in English…The show really has effected my life. I am a woman in my late 30s, also contemplating my life decisions and the character on the show are much closer to reality of a modern day woman than SATC ever was. What can be done to keep the show going???

Ana Carolina July 5, 2010 at 10:58 am

Please bring them back, I’m from Brazil and we LOVE the show! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!

james macbride June 29, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I have a “Joe” in my life. Boy is Victory living my life story….please let me write some episodes. I absolutely love all of the cast members…..Feels like family…bring back my Jungle Pleeeeeeez!!!!!!!

Marlene June 28, 2010 at 9:52 pm

THIS SHOW IS AMAZING! Why is it that great shows get cancelled?!?! Pleeeease bring this back. I agreee with Tara how it’s more real. I watched season one, going on two and buying the book! I watched Sex and The City just by flicking through channels and it never seemed to have kept my attention. LIPSTICK JUNGLE…I’m addicted!

Vanessa May 9, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I just watched Season 2 on DVD … and it ended dumb… I need to know what happens to the girls!.

Please do season 3 and give it the ending it deserves.!

Katie May 5, 2010 at 1:50 am

I just watched seasons 1 and 2 on Hulu, and have been unable to stop watching!! I love this show, it would be a mistake to not bring it back! Please create season 3!!
Best show ever!

Tara March 19, 2010 at 11:09 am

I love love love love it please please I need seasons 3 iam so adicted to this show , I liked sex and the city but this show is sounds real to me and family stuff.
bring it back nowwwwwwwwwwwww

Carmen March 18, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I absolutley love this show! I don’t understand how ratings were low it is much better than Sex and the City to me. I have both seasons on dvd and I wish they would bring the show back!!!!!!!!!!

Ranae June 10, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I too love the show! I just watched both seasons on Netflix and am super sad that it was only two seasons! There is so much more that could happen…..

Nicole March 3, 2010 at 7:08 pm

just watched all of season 1 and 2 on hulu – I WANT MOREEEEEEEEEEE!

mel February 10, 2010 at 7:38 am

I would love a season 3. Awesome show and you picked the right people to play the parts.

Brent January 30, 2010 at 5:18 pm

My wife and I love the show. We are amazed that it is shown on such a late time slot here in Australia. It has great everything, cast, story and a certain ‘Real Life’ element not found often in TV viewing. Its a polished show that towers over programs like, ‘Sex and the City’
Bring back………… or else.

Victoria December 20, 2009 at 11:55 am

Please, a third season of Lipstick Jungle. I love the show. I don´t understand why NBC did cancel the show. I´m very dissapointed, because I did like the story line, the glamour and the casting crew. Itá a pity when NBC management do not consider to give it another go, because in Europe I think we like it

Steffi December 9, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Please make season 3!!!! This is my favourit show!!!