Lone Star: New FOX Drama Series; Cancel or Keep It?

Lone StarLast night FOX premiered their new drama series about a conman. But, how did Lone Star do in the ratings? Was it a big winner or did viewers feel tricked?

Lone Star revolves around Robert Allen (James Wolk), a man who’s living a double life in order to con investors and swindle an oil tycoon family. The only trouble is, he truly loves both of the women he’s connected to as part of the cons. Others in the series are Jon Voight, Adrianne Palicki, Bryce Johnson, David Keith, Eloise Mumford, and Mark Deklin.

Last night, the new TV show got off to a very poor start in the ratings. Lone Star averaged a meager 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 4.1 million viewers. It ranked a distant fourth in both categories.

What do you think of Lone Star?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The premiere lost more than half of its lead-in audience from House. What’s more, 22% of people who started watching at the beginning of the episode, tuned out halfway through the show. That’s a strong indication that they won’t be back next week. Even if they did, these numbers are terrible.

TV show supportSo, it looks like Lone Star might just be the first cancellation of the new fall season. Unless the ratings have a dramatic turnaround, those who like the show will be lucky if FOX lets all 13 episodes air.

But what did you think? Is Lone Star worth watching? Why aren’t more people watching? Should FOX try to save it or should it just be cancelled already?

JOAN BROCHU October 24, 2010 at 7:25 am

I loved this show, was taping it and was waiting to see the third episode. Just found out it was cancelled. I believe Fox should bring back this program.

Adrienne Creely October 23, 2010 at 10:40 am

I loved the first two episodes of Lone Star and added it as a series priority on my DVR. It was very, very good! I wish Fox would reconsider and bring it back. Such a shame to cancel after only two episodes, they did not give it a try, could have moved in to another time

Jeff October 21, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Best new show ive seen in 5 years!!

Rich RAV October 19, 2010 at 10:02 pm

My Monday night lineup. . .
The Event
Chase
Hawaii 5-0
Castle
House
Lone Star

The rest of my viewing habits for the whole week. . .
(hear the crickets chirping?)

Fox execs are sitting on the piece of the equipment most of us do the thinking with. My DVR(s) are running full time Monday night to record all of these great shows and then the rest of the week, I don’t watch TV because everything else SUCKS!!!

Lone Star was the only truly original program on this year! Great actors, great plot. . .
It’s complete crap they are as emotionally invested in the rest of their weekly lineup as they are because they screwed up big time by pulling this one!

jr dow October 19, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I hope another network picks it up. Was going to be a great show. Leave it to fox to drop a good show, but put on all the other junk they have.

Lorie Lopez October 19, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I loved the show, fox didnt give it a chance to gain ratings. It was one of the best shows of the new season of programing. Fox please bring it back!!!

Jack October 19, 2010 at 3:49 am

We taped the first episode based on the hype before the show premiered. We didn’t have the opportunity to watch it until last night. I was impressed and thought it would be a good series. Just learned this a.m. that it was cancelled.
I agree with all of the respondents and hope someone at Fox or another network is smart enough to give it another shot. These TV executives should realize that people with busy lives have little time to watch shows at the time they’re broadcast. Most people I know use Comcast’s “On-Demand” function and watch their shows when they can.

Doug October 18, 2010 at 5:56 pm

What was in the thoughts and minds to who ever thought about canceling the series. Best show out there, dont agree with Monday nights, but any other night would have been even better.

aldenys October 15, 2010 at 8:03 pm

that was my fave show on fox I LOVED IT ! I really dont think they should of canceled it -_-

Mike Shope October 7, 2010 at 6:33 pm

If you’re going to remove the show can you at least show us the rest of the season someway somehow!! Put it on another night different time….you can’t compete with Monday night football….

Connie October 7, 2010 at 4:40 pm

LOVED IT !!!!!!!!!!! I totally agree with Linda,Oct 5, 2010.

Linda October 5, 2010 at 12:36 pm

A very smart and quick show. James Wolk is so handsome. David Keith is so evil. I am so sorry I started watching it and am now doomed to dissapointment!

Julia October 5, 2010 at 9:59 am

I am really upset that the show was canceled only after two shows. Unfortunately, when you put a new show up against an award winning show House (which I never watch), if will fail any show would. I thought it was a good show. I am sick of all the reality shows on television, most of them are junk. I hope another network picks up the show.

Michael October 4, 2010 at 9:58 pm

It was a good show. It had a good cast and a decent storyline. This was the only show on the Fox Network that I was watching. The shows on Fox stink. Of course it lost viewers at 9pm. Monday night football is what all the guys are watching. Put it on a different night. Hopefully CBS or another station will pick it up and give it a decent time slot. The Fox Network doesn’t seem to have a clue.

Richard Petty October 4, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I loved the show! I usually only watch the news, and football. I would still more than likely watch MNF however I would DVR this and watch every episode. It literally makes me sick that Americans are so into reality TV such as Survivor or the Bachelor. If one honestly doesn’t think that these shows are scripted they are nuts and have IQ levels of kindergartners. Fact is reality shows gay!! yes I said fact! It drives me absolutely nuts when my coworkers watch Survivor at nights, (I’m the new guy so I usually sit there and laugh at the show.) they honestly believe that when the cameras are off that these people live out in the sticks. I got news for you, when the cameras are off its off to the hilton, till the next filming, then they get their makeup artists to put dirt on their faces and act like they have been out there for days. Come on!! really? How stupid can an audience be?? BAN REALITY TV !!!!!!! and get some shows with some actual dialogue. “who do you think will get kicked off?” WHO CARES?????!!!!!!!!!!!