Lone Star: FOX Not Cancelling New TV Show, Yet

Lone StarAfter Monday’s disastrous debut of Lone Star, there has been talk that FOX might scrap the series after just one episode. Now, it looks like that won’t happen.

In Lone Star, Robert Allen (James Wolk), is leading a double life so that he and his father can pull off cons both big and small. Things get especially complicated when Robert feels personally connected to his marks and starts to regret what he’s doing. Others in the series are Jon Voight, Adrianne Palicki, Bryce Johnson, David Keith, Eloise Mumford, and Mark Deklin.

The show premiered to a terrible 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 4.1 million viewers. It ranked a distant fourth in both categories and lost 69% of House’s lead-in audience in the demo.

Network execs are understandably confused by the series’ lack of viewers. After all, they gave the show a great lead-in, lots of promotion, and have a handsome and likable lead actor. FOX execs and many critics really like it too. The Washington Post called Lone Star “better than almost anything new this season,” while the New York Times said the show is “clever” and “endearing.”

According to NYMag, FOX isn’t throwing in the towel just yet. Lone Star is still in production, with the cast and crew working on episode six. FOX will keep the show on the air at least until this Monday. Their hope is that it will make some connection with viewers now that they’ve had a chance to sample the shows on the other networks.

TV show supportAt this point, any positive growth might be enough reason for them to keep it on the air another week. Unfortunately, they won’t see the DVR ratings for a couple weeks. Given the tough competition of the night, many people very likely recorded Lone Star to watch later.

Any way you look at it, the Lone Star’s ratings would have to come up a lot for it to be considered a moderate success. Even those that tuned in for the premiere may not bother to return, having already heard that the show is cancelled.

What do you think? Is Lone Star worth saving? Will you tune in, even though there’s a good chance it’ll be cancelled?

tabitha October 4, 2010 at 6:25 pm

i love this show already i was so angry when i found out it was cancelled, you should really leave it and give it a chance!!!!

E October 4, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Dnt cancel this show it is very good! Keep it going……

ginger October 4, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I was ready to watch tonight’s episode and what? Lie to Me? Please. Give this show a chance. Or move it to FX. This is one of the best shows I’ve seen in years with a lot of potential. I am very disappointed.

Norma October 4, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Don’t throw the towel in yet!!! This is a great show and I love the characters. Perhaps a different time slot. Keep making great shows like this one.

jay October 4, 2010 at 5:38 pm

i love lone star they need to keep it on damm im maddddd

Jody October 4, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I watched it the first week and didn’t think much of it but I did tune in for the second week and thought it was better but I truly won’t miss it. I do like the guy who starred in it and hope he will pop up on something else. I had planned to watch it tonight because to be honest, there is nothing on at that time I will watch so will probably turn the TV off for that hour.

Rach October 4, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Don’t cancel!!!!!

Larry Looney October 4, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Give it a chance. My family all tune in to watch. Wednesday night would be a nice evening to sit and watch this show. Or how about a Friday or Saturday evening time slot?

Lars Vesterberg October 4, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Best new show. I was just telling my parents to start watching it and it is already cancelled :( Bring it back!

Margie October 4, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I DVR’d Lone Star but thought it was a great show. Brought back the feelings of the old shows like Dallas, Dynasty and Knots Landing.

I hope that Fox gives it a chance and as another viewer stated, it is up against Dancing with the Stars and Two and a Half Men (both of which I watch). But I would definitel be a fan of Lone Star if they give it a chance. I’m hooked already. Try giving it the old Human Target slot on Friday night.

Chris October 4, 2010 at 10:42 am

Please leave this show, I love it!!!! I was looking foward to the 3rd episode. The story is so good.

EC Gusukuma October 4, 2010 at 9:54 am

has this show already been cancelled? i can’t find it on the schedule. how disappointing… it was one of the best new series; the main character/actor is soooo perfect for the part. i am soooo done with all those CSI programs; same ole thing every week!! this show is even better than the Event.

trish October 4, 2010 at 5:37 am

Show had promise. Looked forward to third episode. Appears this was a poor scheduling issue. Why schedule a new program against such tough competition.?? Try another night and time slot.

Debbie October 3, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Lone Star has enough potential to leave it on the air. I liked it, but gee, look
what it’s up against – Dancing with the Stars, Two & a Half Men and The Event.
I Tivo’d it when it repeated. It’s a good show, keep it on.

Dee October 3, 2010 at 7:34 pm

It is worth watching, don,t throw the towel in, best new show this season