Longmire: New A&E Drama; Cancel or Keep It?

Cancel or keep Longmire TV show?Not long ago, A&E unveiled their latest dramatic TV series, Longmire. Breakout Kings, another A&E show about lawkeepers, was recently cancelled. Will Longmire outlast it or quickly follow it to the TV graveyard?

Taking place in a fictional Wyoming county, Longmire revolves around Sheriff Walt Longmire as he tries to get back on his feet following the death of his wife. With the help of his daughter (Cassidy Freeman), his new deputy (Katee Sackhoff), and his best friend (Lou Diamond Phillips), Walt decides to run for re-election against a young deputy (Bailey Chase) in the department who also wants the position.

The TV show debuted on June 3rd to a 0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.15 million total viewers.

Should Longmire be cancelled or renewed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

That was a very good premiere for the cable channel and was actually the biggest in A&E’s history. Longmire was the third most-watched cable show of the night, only falling behind the NBA playoff game on ESPN and Game of Thrones on HBO.

New TV shows typically fall in their second week on the air but Longmire bucked that trend and actually grew. Last night’s episode drew about the same in total viewership but gained about 22% in the demo.

Unless the numbers hit a serious nosedive, Longmire is assured of a second season renewal. In fact, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t announced soon. It looks like A&E has a hit.

But, what do you think? Do you like Longmire? Will you keep watching? Do you think that it should be renewed or cancelled instead?

Renee Turner July 31, 2012 at 6:33 am

I love this new show. It is refreshing and Robert Taylor is my hero!! The cast is so good together. Longmire and The Glades are the best shows!!!

Lottie July 29, 2012 at 7:06 pm

A & E has one of the best new series with thought provoking mysteries, great flawed anti hero protagonist, and excellent supporting characters. It would be a shame to lose one of few well done series we have to choose from. It is so set apart from the plethora of trash and mindless garbage that is so pervasive in programming now.

Dell Sims July 16, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Being a Western Man from Idaho, And as a man that Grew up on a Ranch, I gotta tell ya that I love this Show. Keep em Coming.

Texas July 16, 2012 at 7:05 am

Great show- Hope it does not get cancled!! They cancel the good ones it seems

Frank June 24, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I’m not in the 18-49 demographic (older) but it would be a shame to cancel it after one season. Strong acting and good story lines should be it’s own reward

Fl06 June 23, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Love it. great characters, writing ,and cast. Look forward to it each week.

bob June 21, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I like the show and I look forward to seeing it each week. I vote to keep it.

Pati Hyatt June 21, 2012 at 12:31 am

I am not the desired demographic either but I watch a lot of shows with my DVR. This is a very well written intelligent show and I hope A&E renews it. Intelligent series are missing or quickly cancelled re: Awake, Missing, Alcatraz, Terra NovaA Gifted Man, by the big networks in favor of shows that appeal to the 19 to 39 male baser instincts. Please give Longmire a second season.

Pilar June 17, 2012 at 9:07 pm

KEEP IT!!!! I love the show, its well written, the second episode just blew me away. I was hooked from the very beginning and am telling my friends and family to watch, its hard finding something this engaging on tv. A&E has a good one in their hands. HOLD TIGHT!

Ira Jacobson June 14, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Keep it, I like it very much. Of course I am not the demographic you want, but I have enjoyed the show and like how the characters work with each other.

pete June 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Very interesting show great character depth. It plays out very well with the setting overall i do believe longmire will make it for the long haul

Mark June 13, 2012 at 11:44 am

Wow!
Thank you!
Finally…a program with value.

All Fooked Up June 12, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I love Katee Sackhoff in this show and the characters are great. I’ll keep watching to see if the personal relationships are interesting.

GreySector June 12, 2012 at 5:15 am

Lots of SF refugees here, which appeals to me. Cassidy Freeman (Smallville), Katee Sackhoff (Battlestar Galactica), and Lou Diamond Phillips (Stargate: Universe). Overall I like the show.

Mike June 11, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I like it. Keep it. Lots of possibilities. Hope the writers keep up the level of good work.