Longmire: Cancelled by A&E, Season Four Still Possible?

Longmire ratingsA&E has cancelled Longmire after three seasons. The cable channel issued a statement that said, “We would like to thank the phenomenal cast, crew and producers of Longmire, along with our partners at Warner Horizon, for their tireless work on three seasons of quality dramatic storytelling.”

Word is that Warner Horizon plans to shop the series to other outlets so a fourth season may still happen.

Longmire follows the life of a Wyoming county sheriff who’s returned to work following his wife’s demise. With the support of his family and co-workers, he solves cases and works to stay in office. The cast includes Robert Taylor, Katee Sackhoff, Bailey Chase, Adam Bartley, Cassidy Freeman, and Lou Diamond Phillips.

What do you think? Do you like Longmire? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a fourth season instead?

Gerald August 29, 2014 at 9:17 am

A& E are idiots they are so far left I’m done with them…….!!!!!!

shirley johnston August 29, 2014 at 9:13 am

Finally an intelligent show amongst all of the mindless crap that A&E offers. The ratings were still quite good since they followed re-runs of an old show that has seen it’s prime. Longmire had renewed my feelings about this network’s show of very bad shows. I suppose I judged too quickly. They would rather show idiots going through storage compartments and a family of college grads PRETENDING to be hillbillies. I pray that an intelligent show like Longmire will find a new home. I definitely will be turning off A&E and so will many of my friends who were fans of this wonderful program.

jd August 29, 2014 at 8:43 am

A really great show. What are the AE executives thinking?

terry lemming August 29, 2014 at 8:29 am

Best show on TV !!!

Wayne Blocker August 29, 2014 at 10:15 am

definitely renew for season 4. A&E had a gem. someone needs to pick it up.

Mark August 29, 2014 at 8:19 am

This is insane. Longmire is the best show on TV. America needs a hero character and not nerdy-science-pukes solving crimes through emotionless labs (CSI).

PammieAnn August 29, 2014 at 9:06 am

What a great comment, Mark. I couldn’t agree with you more. Thank you.

Chip Ramsey August 29, 2014 at 1:08 pm

…or rich actors and musicians selling hamburgers. Or, hillbillies acting silly….

Penny Love Bear August 29, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Mark – you are 100 percent correct – A&E will lose many loyal watchers over this terrible decision of theres.

Tracy August 29, 2014 at 7:52 am

Of course A & E would cancel longmire, they always keep the bad shows and cancel the good ones!! I’m boycotting A &E! Longmire is a great show that I looked forward to watching every week. Great story line and characters. So disappointed :-(

Kevin August 29, 2014 at 12:18 pm

I agree Tracy. I had a funny feeling A&E was going to cancel Longmire. So let me get this straight, they kill the only GOOD show A&E has left and keep Storage wars, which is a waist of 30 minutes of your life. I guess A&E is either blind or just outright stupid. I am joining your boycott of A&E.

Charles Bernstein August 29, 2014 at 7:41 am

I thought that Longmire was a literate mature drama that appealed to older viewers, therein lies the problem. TV executives do not consider older viewers to be a viable market, Longmire was on my must watch list as JAG was 12 years ago and NCIS is now. Do you see a thread here? These were all character driven dramas, with no aliens or superheroes or talking cars. I will miss Longmire and I WILL REMEMBER

PammieAnn August 29, 2014 at 9:11 am

Charles, I think A&E will become the “JC Penney” of the cable television industry over this move. Once JC Penney decided to go “upbeat” and change marketing directions, they have continued to die. The older demographic holds a lot of marketing dollars, and we get pissed when we get ignored. You are so correct in pointing out how few character-driven shows there on on national television. Thank you for you intelligent comment.

Wayne Blocker August 29, 2014 at 10:23 am

Advertizing needs to realize that the 18-29 age group are spenders but the real untapped wealth is in the older age categories. Longmire has the appeal to a weekly loyal viewership. Different advertisers but please no scooters, life policies, gold investments, reverse mortages, or AARP ads. If we are watching Longmire, we are smarter than that.

Jennifer August 29, 2014 at 11:55 am

” TV executives do not consider older viewers to be a viable market”

And this is a huge problem with television nowadays, IMO. They don’t think us older folks matter when it comes to ratings. They don’t think we buy the products they are advertising or that we can appreciate all the things the younger people do. It doesn’t matter how good a show is, if that young demographic that all of the advertisers love so much isn’t there, it goes. Very few shows can withstand that. I would have thought that a network who presented themselves as one who focused on ARTS and ENTERTAINMENT would actually pride themselves on having quality shows to offer. They had that with Longmire. A very high quality show with an amazing cast. This move has proven to me they are no different than any other network now. They don’t understand what “arts” or “entertainment” mean.

Dianne August 29, 2014 at 12:56 pm

You are right they don’t consider older viewers to be a viable market. They should reconsider, the younger generation is tapped into their smart phones, i-pads, etc. They don’t watch TV. Also, if networks don’t think we would buy what they advertise, then advertise what would appeal to us, such as meds, vacations, automobiles, wines, etc. Usually the baby boomers can better afford to buy what they need or want.

ellen mallette August 29, 2014 at 7:09 am

I’m going to quit watching A&E.

ellen mallette August 29, 2014 at 7:07 am

The big Shots of the people who cancel the show are fools, real fools. Longmire is one of the best shows on TV
I hope another station picks it up
The big shots of TV stations are to quick to cancel shows that are good, really good.

PLC August 29, 2014 at 7:02 am

How stupid! One of the best shows on TV. What idiot made this decision?

Gene August 29, 2014 at 6:00 am

Why are you still promoting Longmire on Fox?

Eugene McVeigh August 29, 2014 at 5:50 am

We’ll wouldn’t you know. Along comes a quality series in terms of writing, character and visualisation and then bang! It’s gone. Longmire had all the marks of an excellent production. It stood out against the pack. I’m really sorry to hear this. There must be some enterprising network out there who can see value and quality in this production. I live in the UK and had to search out Longmire but it was well worth it. Perhaps in the perverse world of TV ratings not enough people agreed with me.
Walt, Henry and co. You will be missed.

vicki and joe sise August 29, 2014 at 12:29 pm

AMEN..

BigSwede August 29, 2014 at 5:03 am

Wow! Who’s in charge at A&E, the 3 Stooges?

They cancel The Glades, (The cancellation of that series got a strong reaction from fans), they cancel Longmire, (A&E Network’s most-watched original drama series of all time) and they threatened to cancel Duck Dynasty, their highest rated show of all time.

Do these clowns even have a clue who their audience is?

Cindy August 29, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I think even the 3stooges have more brains than A&E

nemo f August 30, 2014 at 1:28 am

Don’t insult the 3 Stooges :)

Mary August 29, 2014 at 5:02 am

Longmire …..best show on cable A&E is stupid!!!!!!! hope TNT picks it up soon

Marlene Harrison August 29, 2014 at 4:59 am

OK, A&E, so you cancel The Glades, kick Those Who Kill to the LMN curb, and now you cancel Longmire, one of the best shows on TV. What are you thinking??? I think I don’t need to get involved with any more A&E series.