Love Bites: NBC TV Series Cancelled, No Season Two

Love Bites canceled no season twoAfter many bumps in the road, NBC finally got around to airing Love Bites, an anthology-style comedy that’s a bit reminiscent of Love, American Style. Unlike the latter, this one didn’t even last a full season. Love Bites has already been cancelled.

When NBC ordered the Love Bites in January 2010, it was supposed to revolve around two single women named Annie (Becki Newton) and Frannie (Jordana Spiro). Their friends had all gotten married so they were left to explore the ups and downs of the single life. Unfortunately, Spano was still committed to another series (TBS’ My Boys) and she had to bow out of the project after NBC gave a greenlight. As expected, TBS subsequently cancelled My Boys.

The show underwent further changes when Newton became pregnant since her character had been a virgin. Episodes of the comedy ended up revolving around a common theme or character and somehow related to Annie (Newton), Judd (Greg Grunberg) and Colleen (Constance Zimmer).

Showrunner Cindy Chupack departed, was replaced by Tracy Poust and Jon Kinnally, and the series was pushed to mid-season. Love Bites was delayed again and in December it was revealed that the episode order had been reduced from 13 to nine installments. Some of the cast signed on to other projects.

Love Bites finally ended up premiering on June 2nd to a truly disappointing 1.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 2.64 million total viewers. The next week’s installment did about the same which would have been positive except the debut did so poorly. As the weeks have progressed, the ratings have dipped even lower. The worst performance so far has been June 30th’s with a 0.7 demo rating and 1.86 million viewers — truly terrible.

The show was already doomed well before it began airing but the ratings sealed the deal for sure. NBC has cancelled Love Bites and will end the show’s run this Thursday. One episode (the pilot) will be left unaired, replaced by a repeat of Law & Order: SVU. Unfortunately for the few who watched the troubled series, there are no current plans to release the unaired pilot of Love Bites online or anywhere else.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Love Bites has been cancelled? Would liked to have seen a second season?

Joseph August 17, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I am so beyond sad! I just do not understand how 1 million plus is a bad number of viewers :-/

ally August 16, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I absolutley loved the show and looked forward to it every week. I can’t believe it was cancelled! It was fast and witty and didn’t bore you with the same characters every single time… I have to say pretty bogus it got cancelled

Beatrice August 14, 2011 at 12:06 am

if the network is not going to show the rest of the unaired shows, can it be released online please???!!!!

Maria August 13, 2011 at 9:40 am

Very disappointed about this. Great show..very original compared to the other crap that’s out there.

ann August 12, 2011 at 10:25 am

SOOOO BUMMMED!!! This show was awesome! Witty..clever…and the actors were perfect. Please bring it back NBC!!!

sharon August 10, 2011 at 4:54 am

unbelievable this show was funny and good. come on you didn’t even give it a chance. Summer time is rough bring it back in the fall. You know what i think i am done with nbc. think i will get facebook friends to join me in a boycott

L August 8, 2011 at 10:00 pm

great show! bring it back.

Holly August 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I couldn’t agree more this was a creative and funny show…with a fresh format! Seriously wanted to see where Annie’s relationship with “bline date guy”. So sad :(

Pam August 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm

So disappointed!! I loved this show. Great characters, acting, stories, funny, clever sad, just very human.

Olivia Luna August 8, 2011 at 11:34 am

YES YES YES Bring back LOVE BITES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can’t belive such a creative show got cancelled when things like Jersey Shore stay on!!!!

Alex August 7, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I loved this show! I always watched it on Hulu, and was quite surprised to find out it was cancelled! It was really cute and fun to watch.

Susan August 6, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I am stunned that this show was cancelled.

Lady August 6, 2011 at 6:07 am

This is not good news since i watched the show every week. And i really liked it. Too bad to find out it has been canceled after 8 episodes..

jonathan elysee August 5, 2011 at 2:17 am

the show was great. i dont understand tv exec sometimes..they should just move it to cable…just another great nbc show down the drain..kings,black donallys…love bites..nbc bites

Lou August 3, 2011 at 8:51 am

This is not good news at all! Tyhis show was clever and additive! I actually pushed my evenng schedule back and hour on Thursdays… to make sure i could watch this show with no interrtuptions!
I loved this show!.. i do hope another network (or even cable station) would pick it up. it was a very smart .
PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!